For those taking a gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RogueBanana

ヽ(´ー`)ノ
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Weird question but here it goes:

Do you guys feel as though you aren't as sharp as you were when you were in undergrad?
Maybe it's because I don't have anything to really study for and apply myself to, but I just feel like I'm not as "sharp" or quickwitted. I wish I had something to study for.

Is anyone else experiencing this? What have you been doing to fix it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users

Do you guys feel as though you aren't as sharp as you were when you were in undergrad?
Maybe it's because I don't have anything to really study for and apply myself to, but I just feel like I'm not as "sharp" or quickwitted. I wish I had something to study for.

Yes! And I'm a little scared for the start of school! I definitely feel like I've forgotten how to study efficiently. (Don't really have anything to fix it. I've been reading a lot, which I think might help to some degree!)

Reactions: 2 users
Yes! And I'm a little scared for the start of school! I definitely feel like I've forgotten how to study efficiently. (Don't really have anything to fix it. I've been reading a lot, which I think might help to some degree!)
Same! I'm afraid I'll be slow to start unless I find a way to get the "edge" back.

I think it's just natural loss of information with time. Only as graduates we aren't being exposed to new material so the losses aren't replenished as much. Or alternatively, without tests to stress over we actually have time to notice the slow loss of information.

Either way I really wish I could do something about it. I miss lectures :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Same! I'm afraid I'll be slow to start unless I find a way to get the "edge" back.

I think it's just natural loss of information with time. Only as graduates we aren't being exposed to new material so the losses aren't replenished as much. Or alternatively, without tests to stress over we actually have time to notice the slow loss of information.

Either way I really wish I could do something about it. I miss lectures :(

Well, soon you will have more lectures than you could possibly want! :)
(But I totally know how you feel!)

Yep. I am also slightly worried about having to get back in to gear as a student. I find myself popping on to Khan academy or wiki just to read up something every week or so as way of minimal baseline maintenance.

Reactions: 1 user
Tbh I feel more sharp than I did in undergrad - maybe it's from not being under the burden of heavy coursework all the time combined with soccer. Just make sure you continue to read and take it easy for now, I wouldn't stress about it my man

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah frankly I feel like an intellectual slug. I'm sure after a few weeks of getting back into things life'll be back to normal though.

Reactions: 3 users
If you were never sharp in the first place, this isn't a problem! haha SUCKER! **sobs silently**

Reactions: 1 users
I thought I was the only one! I hate not learning! I started tutoring in an effort to make me re-learn and re-remember some information. I miss school.

I felt that way for about a week after ~3 gap years. You'll get into the groove two weeks in and it will be no big deal!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

A gap will make or break you. Go back to you old notes. You will not retain memory if you aren't constantly going over what you've learned.

READ, READ, READ and self-discpline.

I took two years off from undergrad to med school with zero school in between so I know how you feel. I was pretty eager to go so that helped. Don't psych yourself out though. You are still just as smart as you were before and as long as you focus and work hard you will be fine. Good luck.