For those that did step 1 studying summer between MS1 and MS2....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So a person getting a 210 shouldnt tell other people not to study
And a person getting a 260 shouldnt tell other people not to study

Makes sense. Can a 240 tell you that?
It would appear that you are dismissing this argument. While I agree there are not absolute cutoffs, why do you think it is not reasonable to take the advice of someone scoring 260 more heavily than someone scoring 220? Genuine inquiry.

Members don't see this ad.

It would appear that you are dismissing this argument. While I agree there are not absolute cutoffs, why do you think it is not reasonable to take the advice of someone scoring 260 more heavily than someone scoring 220? Genuine inquiry.

I was being sarcastic.

I'd value the 260's opinion a lot more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took Step 1 last year and got above a 260. I studied very very hard during second year, and studied even harder than that during my step 1 prep. I drank, traveled, and enjoyed the last remnants of true free time (truly free from any responsibilities) and savored every moment of it between M1 and M2. But you gotta do what works for you, if you think you're an exceptionally slow learner then maybe it's a great idea for you to study. If not, 100% of the people I know who scored above 250 enjoyed themselves during that summer, came back rejuvenated and ready to rock for M2 and crushed boards. I tried to read FA, but got through the introduction and gave up.

M2 material requires repetition but more importantly structure. Learning this material on your own from review sources is exceptionally difficult. Frequently, review materials skip understanding for the sake of giving you high yield facts (this of course is because they assume you already understand a concept). There is so much material during M2 that the casual "perusing" you're describing will never yield any realistic pay off, in order for it to pay off (meaning actually remember any of it when the subject comes up again during second year) you need study for it in a very dedicated manner (think an 8 hour day at least). Do a research project that's likely to get published if you must feel like you're doing something, that would give you a much better return for your time investment in the long run.

Tl;dr: Either hit it really really hard and do like 8+ hr days for the entire summer (Heavily advise against this unless you're special), or do nothing at all. Because 1-2 hours a day will yield you nothing, that's not enough time to actually memorize anything for you to see dividends later.

Reactions: 5 users
Took Step 1 last year and got above a 260. I studied very very hard during second year, and studied even harder than that during my step 1 prep. I drank, traveled, and enjoyed the last remnants of true free time (truly free from any responsibilities) and savored every moment of it between M1 and M2. But you gotta do what works for you, if you think you're an exceptionally slow learner then maybe it's a great idea for you to study. If not, 100% of the people I know who scored above 250 enjoyed themselves during that summer, came back rejuvenated and ready to rock for M2 and crushed boards. I tried to read FA, but got through the introduction and gave up.

M2 material requires repetition but more importantly structure. Learning this material on your own from review sources is exceptionally difficult. Frequently, review materials skip understanding for the sake of giving you high yield facts (this of course is because they assume you already understand a concept). There is so much material during M2 that the casual "perusing" you're describing will never yield any realistic pay off, in order for it to pay off (meaning actually remember any of it when the subject comes up again during second year) you need study for it in a very dedicated manner (think an 8 hour day at least). Do a research project that's likely to get published if you must feel like you're doing something, that would give you a much better return for your time investment in the long run.

Tl;dr: Either hit it really really hard and do like 8+ hr days for the entire summer (Heavily advise against this unless you're special), or do nothing at all. Because 1-2 hours a day will yield you nothing, that's not enough time to actually memorize anything for you to see dividends later.
And that's /endthread right there.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't recall being this stupid when I was a first year although I do remember thinking that prestudying for medical school would be a good idea
Maybe because there are numerous classes of students at your school who have successfully gone through the exam before? I'm convinced 90% of the benefit of first year is that it trains you how to study efficiently. Most of the information you need for step 1 you will learn during 2nd year.
Yeah,
It's kind of important to understand that some people needed to adjust first year and do better second year. Only because second year is more clinical. But don't assume that's how you'll do. I'm just saying to wait and see how second year pans for you.

Also agree that second year was way more relevant for step 1. Microbiology and biochemistry were the only first year that I had to thoroughly review but the genetics course made bio easier. And the pharm + path made micro easier.

I don't really care what people say on here. I am not brilliant, but I do well because I work hard. I need lots of time and repetition for things to sink in, so I am doing FC this summer (didn't do it during MS1) and it is not ruining my life. I've found a lot of gaps in my schools curriculum that I have filled in and whether I remember them or not, I have at least been made aware that I need to focus on that stuff in the future.

Unlike you rich geniuses, I need to drill things into my head and I don't have the money or access to parents money to jet off to Europe and screw around. My summer research stipend sucks so much that I am losing money, so I don't have the funds to do anything fun at all. I either spend my summer watching Netlifx alone in my room, which really isn't fun and makes me feel like s**t, or I casually do FC and retain a few things.

Many of these arguments against studying are based on the idea that there is a fun alternative. Tell me what I should do if I am stuck on the other side of the country in an expensive city with a bad stipend and away from all friends and family...

because we forced you to do research right?

Wow. How incredibly defensive and accusatory of you. Have fun with that attitude.

I personally have a particular disdain for people who draw a arbitrary dicotomy of working hard and "geniuses". No body succeeds in medical school without working their butt off and I gurantee every 260 plus person on these boards worked their butt off. I know I certainly did (think 16 hr days for 6 weeks while eating in front of the computer). No one is telling you that working hard won't pay off, but what people are driving home here is the idea of studying smart and investing your time to get the best return. Always keep in mind that these are people who have been through it and perhaps regret making some of the mistakes You're about to make.

I'm sorry to hear that your stipend isn't enough for you to enjoy yourself. Although to have the opportunity to do research on a stipend at all is a priviledge many do not have.

Fun is what you make of it, and with the attitude you have I doubt you could have fun even if you were paid to tour Europe. I travelled on a budget and saved up working part time at our school library. Trust me, I am by no means rich. I also know plenty of people who didn't travel, did a reaearch project or got a part time job and still enjoyed themselves.

So please, if you don't want to take our advise then don't. But don't come slinging your self pity at people who are just being honest and trying to help.

Reactions: 3 users
I have no idea what is going on in this thread...but this is when a lot of us are getting pubs in competitive specialties OR just what we are interested in. Or take a break. There is more than enough time to learn Step 1 content from first year beginning in the Fall or later.

I don't really care what people say on here. I am not brilliant, but I do well because I work hard. I need lots of time and repetition for things to sink in, so I am doing FC this summer (didn't do it during MS1) and it is not ruining my life. I've found a lot of gaps in my schools curriculum that I have filled in and whether I remember them or not, I have at least been made aware that I need to focus on that stuff in the future.

Unlike you rich geniuses, I need to drill things into my head and I don't have the money or access to parents money to jet off to Europe and screw around. My summer research stipend sucks so much that I am losing money, so I don't have the funds to do anything fun at all. I either spend my summer watching Netlifx alone in my room, which really isn't fun and makes me feel like s**t, or I casually do FC and retain a few things.

Many of these arguments against studying are based on the idea that there is a fun alternative. Tell me what I should do if I am stuck on the other side of the country in an expensive city with a bad stipend and away from all friends and family...

That cross must be really heavy

Reactions: 1 user