For those that were not STEM majors: Learning curve for Chem and Physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leadsquid

Reaction score
How did you all fare in General Chemistry and Physics 1 when you first started your post-bacc? I am couple years out of college and did not have any science classes. Did you learn all of the material you needed to in the classes or was there a steep learning curve initially due to there being an expectation of some foundational knowledge prior to taking the course?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How did you all fare in General Chemistry and Physics 1 when you first started your post-bacc? I am couple years out of college and did not have any science classes. Did you learn all of the material you needed to in the classes or was there a steep learning curve initially due to there being an expectation of some foundational knowledge prior to taking the course?

There was a steep learning curve. If your postbac school offers a preparatory class for general chemistry (some do; check the course catalog), I strongly recommend enrolling in it.

At my postbac school, it was expected that General Chemistry I students would have had high school chemistry and/or the preparatory class within 2 years of enrolling. Many foundational chemistry concepts are either not covered or only touched on very briefly in Gen Chem. Check with your academic advisors about what your school’s chemistry courses are like.

I think a math refresher would be very helpful for physics, unless you are still very strong in algebra/calculus (whichever level of math your physics classes require).

Reactions: 1 users
I highly agree with the above. General chemistry did have a steep learning curve in my program and it takes time to figure out how best to prepare (tons of practice problems). That being said, it is doable. Utilize your resources, definitely get more comfortable and confident with math - particularly working with exponents and fractions, manipulative equations, etc. If nothing else, I highly recommend working with a tutor early on to make sure you get started down the right path. Ive worked with far too many folks who reached out for help only once it was quickly approaching being too late.

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Majored in STEM, but emphasis on the "T," so my undergrad major didn't have any chem or physics. Echoing the other posters, the learning curve was/is very steep as it was a whole new way I had to approach class. As a nontrad, we don't even have the advantage of recency to the material from high school many fellow classmates have which made the learning curve suck. I'm coming up on my last semester of class for my post bacc and I'd really recommend religious use of Youtube, (AK Lectures, Organic Chemistry Tutor, and Professor Dave) with a lot of time devoted to practice problems. Focus on the problems your professor assigns as ungraded hw as those will constitute the majority of your tests. Work hard, and you got this.

Do not be discouraged if you do poorly on one test, just don't let it be more than one. 6 classes done so far with 5's A and each one featured one poor exam score. Retool, reload, meet with the professor and make doing well in these classes your number one goal.

I didn't take physics or chemistry in high school or undergrad. I took all medical school prerequisites during my DIY postbac. Chemistry was challenging but if you put the time in studying, practicing, and utilizing all resources, it's very doable. I took both chemistry I and II during one Summer at a community college. As someone with business and STEM degrees, 90% of both is memorization.

My original undergrad degree was in theatre, with a minor in music. But I loved gen chem. I had a great professor and a small class so we got lots of one-on-one attention and plenty of time to do practice problems and ask questions. Still one of my very favorite pre-req classes I have taken.