For those who are waiting...How many do you think you missed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medgirl13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok,

So not to provoke anymore anxiety attacks among my fellow 'waiters'. But I figured this could be helpful for future examinees, just in case we report that we know we missed a TON of questions and then end up doing well. I was thinking it might be nice to make it our goal to come back after we get our scores and edit your posts with your score (if you so choose).

So I'll go first...at this point, I know for sure I missed 8 questions. They were stupid over-thinking mistakes where I thought they were trying to trick me. Then on top of that, I was probably unsure of another 6 where it could go either way and I could only narrow it down to two choices but had to commit to one. I'm SURE I had plenty more incorrects that I probably felt more certain about but would probably end up getting wrong, so I could add another 15-20 of those for good measure.

Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok,

So not to provoke anymore anxiety attacks among my fellow 'waiters'. But I figured this could be helpful for future examinees, just in case we report that we know we missed a TON of questions and then end up doing well. I was thinking it might be nice to make it our goal to come back after we get our scores and edit your posts with your score (if you so choose).

So I'll go first...at this point, I know for sure I missed 8 questions. They were stupid over-thinking mistakes where I thought they were trying to trick me. Then on top of that, I was probably unsure of another 6 where it could go either way and I could only narrow it down to two choices but had to commit to one. I'm SURE I had plenty more incorrects that I probably felt more certain about but would probably end up getting wrong, so I could add another 15-20 of those for good measure.

Anyone else?
You probably did pretty dang well.

You probably did pretty dang well.

Oh...well thanks! But actually, I probably underestimated my potential incorrects, as I tend to make stupid mistakes I don't realize. Since you got me thinking about it, I'll probably bump my projected unknown incorrects up to at least 25-30. AT LEAST. On top of that, those 8 I Know i got wrong +/- those 6 i had to pick between two. BTW, all those up-down arrow questions are my biggest weakness and I had a ton of those.

I started out thinking i missed 6, a few days later, it increased to 10, then it increased to 15ish after i talked to friends who had similar questions, so double that to make 30 to cover the ones i don't remember.

You probably did very well medgirl.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh...well thanks! But actually, I probably underestimated my potential incorrects, as I tend to make stupid mistakes I don't realize. Since you got me thinking about it, I'll probably bump my projected unknown incorrects up to at least 25-30. AT LEAST. On top of that, those 8 I Know i got wrong +/- those 6 i had to pick between two. BTW, all those up-down arrow questions are my biggest weakness and I had a ton of those.

Still sounds like yours would be a good score. I missed 20-25 already (19 wrongs and 6 can go either way) and to doubt myself more I'll probably double that so 50 and lets say they throw out 15% of the test that's 274 questions left and assuming none of the ones I got wrong were thrown out (I missed questions like medgirl, over thinking and changing at least a few from right to wrong and most of the 50/50s I missed... coin flip was always wrong). so that's 224/274 barely over 80% so probably didn't get a 240 :(. Assuming my test is the easier form (I personally didn't think it was crazy hard, very do-able), so passing is probably 70% on mine so 11.7% above is around 32 questions above the mean so 187 to pass + 32 pts assuming 1 pt per question = 219 (based on some guy who said he got 250 something and at least a 92% on his test). I should wave good bye to ROAD, at least I find IM really interesting just don't like the life style. Practice scores for NBME, UWSA, Free 150 were between 250-260 :( :( :(

Still sounds like yours would be a good score. I missed 20-25 already (19 wrongs and 6 can go either way) and to doubt myself more I'll probably double that so 50 and lets say they throw out 15% of the test that's 274 questions left and assuming none of the ones I got wrong were thrown out (I missed questions like medgirl, over thinking and changing at least a few from right to wrong and most of the 50/50s I missed... coin flip was always wrong). so that's 224/274 barely over 80% so probably didn't get a 240 :(. Assuming my test is the easier form (I personally didn't think it was crazy hard, very do-able), so passing is probably 70% on mine so 11.7% above is around 32 questions above the mean so 187 to pass + 32 pts assuming 1 pt per question = 219 (based on some guy who said he got 250 something and at least a 92% on his test). I should wave good bye to ROAD, at least I find IM really interesting just don't like the life style. Practice scores for NBME, UWSA, Free 150 were between 250-260 :( :( :(

How do you guys remember so many questions?! I can barely remember 10 out of 322. I guess that saves me from feeling bad over those I'd have missed.

How do you guys remember so many questions?! I can barely remember 10 out of 322. I guess that saves me from feeling bad over those I'd have missed.

I wish it was like that for me, where I remember none so I don't have to know how many I miss and become neurotic. I have a decent memory, I can probably recall up to half the test if I sit down hard and think about it.

I wish it was like that for me, where I remember none so I don't have to know how many I miss and become neurotic. I have a decent memory, I can probably recall up to half the test if I sit down hard and think about it.

That's amazing.

Ok, so I had this question that I'll post here. I had a question where two answer choices were right. Basically, it was a question asking which drug is contraindicated in this disease. What should I make of that? Both were listed in FA.

That's amazing.

Ok, so I had this question that I'll post here. I had a question where two answer choices were right. Basically, it was a question asking which drug is contraindicated in this disease. What should I make of that? Both were listed in FA.
what was the question...surely there had to be a catch?

Wow that is really impressive. I have a hard time remembering anything from that test. My friends also say I have become insanely gullible in the last week. Maybe it really is post-step 1 PTSD or at least some significant regression and repression.

what was the question...surely there had to be a catch?

I had a question like this where quite literally two of the answer choices are listed in First Aid as being correct. I had to go to current research and apparently one of the drugs has a more unfavorable side effect profile so it isn't used so much anymore. Thanks for nothing First Aid! Fortunately I guessed correctly, but it was really a 50/50 luck guess.

I don't even know how you guys can THINK about this. I die a little inside each time I remember one that I was unsure about and then go look it up just to see I got it wrong. Anyway there's about 10 of those that I know I got wrong, which means there's gotta be another 10 I can't think of and 5 that I was overconfident about and screwed up, so I probably missed 25-30 total. One I changed the answer even though I knew the right answer...wtf?! :mad: Oh well it's over, yay!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't even know how you guys can THINK about this. I die a little inside each time I remember one that I was unsure about and then go look it up just to see I got it wrong. Anyway there's about 10 of those that I know I got wrong, which means there's gotta be another 10 I can't think of and 5 that I was overconfident about and screwed up, so I probably missed 25-30 total. One I changed the answer even though I knew the right answer...wtf?! :mad: Oh well it's over, yay!

Missing only 25-30 is REALLY good, I would be so happy if I knew I only missed 30 max.

Talk about the SDN effect, most of the people who have posted so far conservatively think they got over 90%!!

Yea there's no way my estimate is correct. My brain is obviously protecting me from harsh reality. I probably missed more like 60.

I don't know how you people even begin to come by these numbers. As I was walking out of the exam I immediately forgot the specifics of the test. Seriously I probably remember like three questions!

I don't know how you people even begin to come by these numbers. As I was walking out of the exam I immediately forgot the specifics of the test. Seriously I probably remember like three questions!

yep me too. I can remember just a few questions ... a mixture of rights and wrongs. There's still a couple that I can't even find the correct answer for online or even in Robbins. One was insanely nitpicky. I mean seriously it's not in Robbins! haha

I wake up every morning convinced that I failed. I wish I could afford a vacation so I could get out of here and take my mind off things. ugh. I hate that I have to do weeks of my first rotation before even finding out if I passed this thing or if I did pass that my career aspirations are moot due to my crappy score. :scared:

I got 10x for certain and have another 9-10 that I have varying degrees of confidence about, plus perhaps another 5-6 biochem/biostats I don't remember very well but seemed unsure of.

I actually feel very sure of my performance outside of these questions. Did I likely miss more than I thought? Yes, but not many more. I was pretty confident on 80-85% of the qs on most blocks, and some blocks were easier. My first block I'm fairly sure I got 90%+ right.

However...

- A certain number of screwy questions are bound to be experimental.

- Qs that get less than a certain % right (usually ~15-18%, from what I've heard) get dropped. Some of the hard qs I had came with 12 answer choices, and I can't find a solid answer to them with googling and looking through textbooks. Thus, do I think 15-18% of people managed to guess the correct answer? I'm thinking no, at least for those.

- Don't believe this guy who says he got 92% correct and only a 252. Just about everyone I've discussed the issue with has thought that a 90%+ performance (i.e., only approximately 30 wrong) should be upwards of 270. I can almost guarantee this guy got more wrong than he thought he did.

The real question is what it takes to get 240-250, IMHO. If it really is 78-85% or something, then I think it's real doable. The real thing is easier than UW, and it's not that hard to get 75-85% on UW blocks with adequate prep. However, if the difference between hard/easy test forms causes the hard/easy curves to differ by a lot and a crappy curve => 80% = 220 like the NBMEs, then yikes.

That said, when I really listed my wrong answers I found that a lot of what I thought were "gimme" mistakes actually weren't in FA. (It looks like I only blew 5-6 qs that came straight from FA.) What are the chances that a significant fraction of other people knew answers to most of these non-FA qs? I'm thinking it's pretty slim, especially given how truly obscure many of them are.

I think I could have gotten 80-95% of them correct. We'll see how that gut feeling goes... lol.

My goal going in was to minimize stupid mistakes, aka things I had studied and should have known. I can only recall three questions where I read them and thought "dang I should know this." I think I got one of them right from what I looked up afterwards.

Otherwise, who knows? My exam was really odd and I have no idea how I did. I've managed to block most of it out. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt....:smuggrin:

I know 6 that I got wrong for sure with probably like 6 more that could go either way and wikipedia cant remedy. That coupled with the questions that I cant remember or thought I got right but didnt, I think im around 20-25 questions wrong.

And of course all of those must have been experimental

I can't believe people even remember questions that they got on their exam. I remember one and that's because it was a stupid question about TEETH.

I looked up the questions I was really iffy on and got 3/6 wrong there, I'll tack another 3-4 onto that for few I blindly guessed on. Not bothering to check others since what's done is done.

I haven't looked up any answers yet.... I just don't want to know.

I do know I marked an average of 8 or 9 questions per section. I've been marking questions in a consistent manner since I began UW and I noticed I usually miss about 50% of the marked questions plus a few extra mistakes here and there.

so I'm guessing I averaged about 40/46 = 87%

My last NBME was a 254 and my last UW test was a 263 so it'll be interesting to see what my real score is. I'm hoping for a 260 but I'll be happy with anything over 240.

Of the questions I remember, I know I got 40 right and 17 wrong. Ugh, those numbers freak me out. I hate waiting!

I've checked a lot, at least 50-60 I'd say, and they were all ones that I had marked. I tend to mark my sections very liberally, so I normally end up with 17-22 marked a section - as I go through them, I usually narrow down my actual concerns to about half of that, so maybe 70 truly marked overall.

As of right now, have 24 wrong/not sure what I put. If I doubled that, that would be like 50 wrong. Took a practice NBME before I did half of the systems and got a 231. Worked my ass off after that and I was hoping for a 250, but after counting up all these questions, I feel like I failed at my goal. It's really a terrible feeling, I just can't shake it off :(

On top of that, 7-8 of those were ones that I had narrowed down to two and couldn't recall from FA. Fail.

Last edited:
Hey guys and gals :)

I took my Step 1 on 6/15 and this is how much I think I missed/marked per section:

1: 4/6
2: 4/6
3: 7/9
4: 2/4
5: 3/4
6: 3/5
7: 5/8

Total: I think I missed 28 and know I marked 42 questions on my Step 1 --> 4 misses/6 marked per 46 question block

I thought my test was a A LOT easier than the question bank (UW and Kaplan) questions that I took (46 questions, timed, random). I just looked through my notes and on the first go around, on UW I was averaging 5-6 misses/6-8 marked per 46 question block. On Kaplan, 4-9 misses/ 6-11 marked per 46 question block.

Last edited:
Hey guys and gals :)

I took my Step 1 on 6/15 and this is how much I think I missed/marked per section:

1: 4/6
2: 4/6
3: 7/9
4: 2/4
5: 3/4
6: 3/5
7: 5/8

Total: I think I missed 28 and know I marked 42 questions on my Step 1 --> 4 misses/6 marked per 46 question block

I thought my test was a A LOT easier than the question bank (UW and Kaplan) questions that I took (46 questions, timed, random). I just looked through my notes and on the first go around, on UW I was averaging 5-6 misses/6-8 marked per 46 question block. On Kaplan, 4-9 misses/ 6-11 marked per 46 question block.

Missing only 28-42 is awesome, at least a 240 and even possible in the high 250 - 260s if you missed 28 I would say. I wished I miss that few.

Missing only 28-42 is awesome, at least a 240 and even possible in the high 250 - 260s if you missed 28 I would say. I wished I miss that few.

:)

Predicting misses is far from an exact science especially because the hard quirky questions are the ones that stick in your head.

Another benefit of those question banks was that I could "hone in" on a reasonable number as far as what I missed from taking ~2100 UW, 2250 Kaplan, ~1100 Robbins Q&A, ... . Still, I mark questions pretty liberally.

I also felt that I got a test that suited my strengths well. It was almost like a perfect run through :)

Yeah, I don't remember very many specifics to be honest. As soon as I got home, I tried to write my misses/marked per section so I could compare with my score when it comes out. All in all, wanted to include these tid-bits in my write-up when the time is right :)

I know I shouldn't have been doing this but I caved in. From periodically looking thru FA soon after the exam (took it mid june) and from random thoughts since then (fortunately I haven't been doing this anymore), I can say that I got at least 21 wrong (many of these were gimmes, 6 were from being foolish and overthinking), can recall an additional 9 more that I was unsure of; about 6-8 of these came from the first block (I marked like 15 questions) and the rest were spread out over the remaining blocks which I felt were easier (marked like 4-6/block, felt like I got at least 80% right on these other blocks). I was scoring just under 230 on my nbme's, 70% uworld with 70% completed (getting around 80% a week before the exam) and hope that I at least got a 220 (want to do IM or Peds in a NE city/university hospital)

I'm reading through this thread and it's scaring the @#$@ out of me.

To me, all of you seem to have done great considering the number of Q's you've missed. Ever since the days of hanging out in the Pre-allo boards, I know that SDN is not representative of the overall population. And this again, is the perfect example of this.

Although I can't say for certain how many questions I missed. I wouldn't be surprised is I missed 10+ question for each block. After all, I did average around the 60% on UW.

If you guys are estimating 240 for missing ~30 questions... wow, I can't imagine what I'd be getting. I can only hope that a) the curve is more friendly on the real thing and b) the raw score to 3-digit score translation is less dramatic once you hit the lower range (if you get what i mean...)

I'm reading through this thread and it's scaring the @#$@ out of me.

To me, all of you seem to have done great considering the number of Q's you've missed. Ever since the days of hanging out in the Pre-allo boards, I know that SDN is not representative of the overall population. And this again, is the perfect example of this.

Although I can't say for certain how many questions I missed. I wouldn't be surprised is I missed 10+ question for each block. After all, I did average around the 60% on UW.

If you guys are estimating 240 for missing ~30 questions... wow, I can't imagine what I'd be getting. I can only hope that a) the curve is more friendly on the real thing and b) the raw score to 3-digit score translation is less dramatic once you hit the lower range (if you get what i mean...)

Remember, that there are some problems with self-reporting (lol)

Just keep in mind those that are posting are posting the number that they thought they missed and then trying to use that number to guess scores. From what I read it seems like the curve on some of the NBME practice exams is harsh (on one exam, 92% correct is in the 250's?) but I just can't think that the curve is like that on the real exam. The reason I feel this way is that on other NBME exams (subject specific shelf exams, CBSE, ...), a good number of those that scored 99's at my school felt like they missed 10 or 15 questions per 125 question exam, and they still ended up with 99's!

I just have a feeling that the curve is pretty forgiving. So don't get too bogged down with predictions and extrapolations! :)

Remember, that there are some problems with self-reporting (lol)

Just keep in mind those that are posting are posting the number that they thought they missed and then trying to use that number to guess scores. From what I read it seems like the curve on some of the NBME practice exams is harsh (on one exam, 92% correct is in the 250's?) but I just can't think that the curve is like that on the real exam. The reason I feel this way is that on other NBME exams (subject specific shelf exams, CBSE, ...), a good number of those that scored 99's at my school felt like they missed 10 or 15 questions per 125 question exam, and they still ended up with 99's!

I just have a feeling that the curve is pretty forgiving. So don't get too bogged down with predictions and extrapolations! :)

Yeah, the real curve is way gentler than it is on the NBMEs. I keep hearing that 90% on the real thing is really more like 270.

I went home for a week long break and when I got back, saw my ever-enlarging list of missed/unsure questions. It's about 35 now, and I'm positive that there are more that I was simply too burned out to remember. This wait is freaking killing me...I feel like I waste so much time worrying about that dreaded email...

DISCLAIMER: I apologize for reviving a 2 year-old thread.

...BUT it's totally lame that no one came back and posted their scores following their predictions. Just sayin'.

Reactions: 2 users