For those who consistently score 10+ in verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AA|FCB|DOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you mind sharing what you guys do when you narrow down to two answers left? I seem to have a hard time deciphering between the last two answers and I'm trying to see exactly why this happens and what I could do about it.
o about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mind sharing what you guys do when you narrow down to two answers left? I seem to have a hard time deciphering between the last two answers and I'm trying to see exactly why this happens and what I could do about it.
o about it.

If I'm down to two answer choices and am 50/50 about them after re-reading the question, I go with the answer that flows with the main idea rather stating a minor detail in the passage. This doesn't always work, but it's a good rule of thumb.

Avoid answers that contain extremes and absolutes. ie, "X will lead to an increased instance of Y" is better than "X will always cause Y". Unless the passage makes it very clear that Y is directly caused by X.

If I'm down to two answer choices and am 50/50 about them after re-reading the question, I go with the answer that flows with the main idea rather stating a minor detail in the passage. This doesn't always work, but it's a good rule of thumb.

You know what, now that you mention it when I think about the most recent questions where this was a problem for me, the correct answer did seem like the one more in line with the author's main viewpoints.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know what, now that you mention it when I think about the most recent questions where this was a problem for me, the correct answer did seem like the one more in line with the author's main viewpoints.

Yeah it's annoying. Most of the answer descriptions will say "this answer is true, but not the best choice." So what I do is pick out the answer that I feel was talked about more.

So what I do is pick out the answer that I feel was talked about more.

This is excellent advice. As a good example, if you look at AAMC 3 Passage 5, Question 75. There's a strong argument to be made that two of the answer choices are "true" or "correct" but the credited answer is the one that's simply talked about more.

Reactions: 1 user
o about it.

Good question. I have the same problem and seem to ALWAYS pick the wrong one out of 2.

If I have it narrowed down to 2, I probably will take a moment to glance at the passage real quick to make my final choice. Sometimes it is truly at 50/50 shot, but usually I find something that will sway me towards the right answer. If that fails, pick "C"

It seems like most of the time if you can get it down to 2, one is going to be something more or less stated in the passage, and one will be something you'd have to infer from what you've read in the passage. The thing is once you start trying to figure out what the author is TRYING to say, there is much more room for missing some detail or adding your bias. always go with what has the strongest connection to what's actually written. If you find yourself having to take two or three steps to justify an answer, dont.

It seems like most of the time if you can get it down to 2, one is going to be something more or less stated in the passage, and one will be something you'd have to infer from what you've read in the passage. The thing is once you start trying to figure out what the author is TRYING to say, there is much more room for missing some detail or adding your bias. always go with what has the strongest connection to what's actually written. If you find yourself having to take two or three steps to justify an answer, dont.

This is EXCELLENT verbal advice/tip. I agree 100%. It took me extensive MCAT verbal practice to realize what DylanE says. When you have your answers cut down to 2 choices, ALWAYS choose the answer choice that DIRECTLY answers the question (ie. most relevant to the question), while at the same time is clearly mentioned in the passage. I learned that I should actually read the questions and their respective VERY carefully, even more carefully than reading the passage itself. Read the first and last paragraphs carefully to understand it carefully, and skim through the rest of the passage so that you get the basic idea on what each passage talks about and how it relates to the main idea. You then read the answer choices carefully, noting the key words and subject of the question. After carefully reading the question, go back to the paragraph relevant to the question, read it actively, and go back to the question. Eliminate incorrect or irrelevant answer choices, and choose the answer choice that BEST restates or accurately represents the paragraph you just read. This strategy is especially CRUCIAL if the question is about a certain word or quote in the passage. Go back to the paragraph that has the sentence containing word or quote in question, read that sentence as as as the sentence BEFORE and AFTER it. From ONLY reading that you will be able to come down to the right answer. Eliminate all answer choices that do NOT restate or represent the portion of the passage you just read, and choose the answer choice that does.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need me to elaborate any further.

I've actually noticed that when I am having trouble with one, to be wary of being drawn to the question that directly quotes the text. Unless its a gimme, these are generally wrong because it won't answer the question.

This. While it's true that VR questions usually ask questions that require you to infer things from a passage or understand the big picture, nonetheless the correct answers can almost always be directly backed up by something in the passage. Likewise, wrong answers can often (but not always) be disproven by something in the passage. When you review AAMC practice exams you'll notice this; for the purposes of defending their answers, AAMC has to be able to point at something in a passage to explain why an answer choice is right or wrong. For this reason, being able to remember a lot of small details from a passage and where they're located can be a massive help in solving questions.

Anyway, I ended up with a 13 in VR on the real thing and I referred back to the passage like crazy to find evidence to prove or disprove answers. Something else I found useful when I had to choose between two answer choices was to not necessarily ask myself "which is one is more correct?" but rather "which one is more wrong?" It seems like a silly, pointless rewording of a question, but I found that the new perspective of trying to figure out a way to show why one choice was wrong instead of a way to show why a choice was right was surprisingly effective in leading me to the right answer.

Unless the question specifically asks for an extreme answer, don't choose the extreme answer. Usually, the answer that encompasses the main idea in broader terms is a better choice than the answer that focuses on a specific detail that might not be the main idea of the passage. One key thing to remember is that the correct answer is always supported by the passage. Even if an answer seems rational, do not choose it if you can't find any explicit support for the it in the passage. A lot of mistakes can be eliminated by learning to consider only the author's viewpoint. Also, be sure to look out for words like "not", "except", "least", or "most" in the question. Not noticing this can make an easy question very difficult.

Lots of posters are referencing common verbal traps.. here's my few:

1) The answer that feels good: Answer choice will kind of flow with the passage but will take an extra step or two that may make complete sense to you as a logical progression but is not based in the passage. Heck, it may be mentioned in the next paragraph if you were to look at the original text but if its not in the excerpt you're given, it can't be the answer. You aren't asked (unless the question states to infer) to take that next step. BASE YOUR ANSWERS IN THE PASSAGE, not where you think or feel the author should or will be going.

2) Extreme answers: Common one. Avoid "always" "never" and the sort. I would say these are never the correct answer but that's extreme as well ;) they are rarely correct though.

3) The "true but wrong" answer: Answer choice will be completely true and may reference something from the passage itself. The goal is to get the reader to pick up that this detail was mentioned and assume this must be the right answer since they've read it before. However, there is either a better answer or this one is only concerned about a minor detail whereas the question is asking about a major theme. Make sure your answer choice fits the question.. if it wants a specific detail, find that answer. Otherwise, you're better off going with the more general, main idea type of answer.

Also, don't read so you can understand every single word of the passage. Seriously.

You have two goals when you are reading. Read as fast as you can as long as you can complete these goals effectively. Reading doesn't get you points.. answering questions correctly does and more time should be spent there.

1) Main idea: initial read through should get you the main idea or you'll be wasting several minutes re-reading the passage if you are asked about it = bad
2) Know WHERE specific details are mentioned: MCAT will rarely ask you to recall a specific detail but it will use those details to ask questions about what the author is implying or how the author would analyze another situation. There's so many details in a passage though that there's no point in making sure you know and understand every single one from the get go. Know where the author mentioned certain facts (keep notes in the margin or highlight) so if asked, you can quickly go back and read those few sentences. This saves a lot of time since you are only 100% focusing and reading those sentences slowly if they will earn you points rather than spending time reading sentences that are never asked about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an 8 diagnostic VR the first time i did a VR. After going through the Kaplan strategy for VR I began getting 10+'s, just spend the extra time making the outline. You may not use it but it's helpful because it forces you to pay attention to the passage while reading and prevents the possibility of drifting off.

Now, assuming you are already using a good outline strategy then the best thin to do is practice.

Bump. Any unique tips good VR scorers got? The above had some pretty individual 'secret' tips/not as generalized as the stuff I've been seeing lately like ("read better"/"understand the passage").

My verbal scores took a bump up after I read the exam krackers methoods.
I know this on more on the side of a general tip but for alot of the questions that used to trouble me I based on what I thought was correct, and would inevitably get SUPER frustrated with the reasonings for the right answer (alot of curses in my why I got it wrong sheets, alot of well that answer is stupid blablabla)
Then I switched over from stop worrying about what the "right" answer was and what the author would think the right answer was.
I got critical OF the author, judged the author, and yea sometimes the right answer might have been stupid in my eyes but after taking a few tests with this mentality I started seeing better why this was the AUTHORS opinion.
Basically don't worry about how YOU would answer the question but how the AUTHOR would answer the question.
However sometimes it can be tricky to figure out how to get to that opinion, unfortunately it can often involve referring back to the passage ALOT (something I disagree with the test companies on who say to avoid going back to the passage, ok whatever)
Once I started working through passages this way I payed close attention to certain types of traps that I fell into alot (I used to be a sucker for extreme language and out of scope stuff that just wasn't mentioned in the passage <- which unless the question directly asks for it is NEVER EVER the answer)
So I got those trends down and knew not to fall for them anymore.
For the newer AAMCs I've only been getting 3/4 wrong (12/13) from my previous 8-10 range.

Not a very good writer so hopefully at least 50% of that made sense!

AAMC FL verbal scores: 9, 12, 11, 11, 10, 11, 11, 8 (1st = the "getting used to the computer format" verbal exam; last = the "panic attack omg the real MCAT is days away" verbal exam)
real thing: 11

VERBAL ADVICE (taken from an email to my sister and a DM here on SDN):
this is just general advice i wrote for my sister, this is her 3rd time taking the exam bcs of verbal, and she had never scored double digits in verbal before, but just got a 10 on an AAMC, so hopefully they work for you.

this is why i do, and they're very general ideas to try.

1. sit up super straight, 2 feet on the floor, silently moving your lips as if you're reading the passage aloud. this has to do with your alertness - you will vividly recall getting attacked while you're more likely to forget something while falling asleep because of your alertness due to the sympathetic nervous system. don't try to get comfortable and fidget - being relaxed will hinder your attention. minimally mouthing the words is like making them more than thoughts, which are quickly forgot, and more like things you've said aloud, which are obviously more distinct.

2. read slowly and fully comprehend the passage. if you need to reread a line that is the first or last in a paragraph because right after you read it you didn't fully understand it, do that. the most important lines are the first and last - they summarize the idea. the whole time you're reading a passage you should be trying to build an idea about what the author is trying to say. if you didn't understand a paragraph by the end, then you should only reread the first and last lines. you don't have enough time to completely reread sections of the passage, while reading or during the question process.

3. after reading the question, read the answers before trying to locate a part of the passage the answer might be. you'd be surprised how many times the answer is obvious, and you save the time that you might have spent rereading something you didn't have to. focus on words like NOT or WEAKEN as they change what you'd choose. cross out obviously wrong answers as you read them, but don't cross out all the possible answers except your choice - if you have to go back and review marked questions, you want to know what 2 or 3 options you trying to decide between.

4. minimally highlight. you should know the ideas based on reading, but highlight only specific names or examples throughout, never long passages. the point of highlighting is that if they ask what say Dr. Callum might think of XXXXX, you need to be able to find where in the passage he is discussed if you can't come up with the answer via recall.

5. build a stereotype of the author in your as you read. imagine it's man or woman, then fill in all the details based on stereotypes. the point of this isn't to answer questions you might find in the passage, but if you are asked an opinion question, and can't decide between 2 choices, go with what you imagine they'd choose. answering all the questions from their mindstate instead of trying to be analytical is much faster, while only sacrificing some accuracy.

6. don't sit on a question forever. if after a minute you just don't know the answer and aren't any closer to knowing, guess one, mark the question, and move on. you don't have time to go back and find every answer in the passage, rereading it every time. mark these questions, and when you're at the end, if you have extra time, you can go back and see if you might be able to second guess yourself. again, even at the end, unless you've only marked 1 or 2, you don't have time to reread an entire passage. some questions you'll answer immediately, some you'll have to go back to a part of the passage you can easily locate to determine, and a few you'll just have to guess. admit you're going to get some wrong regardless and focus on getting as many right as possible. 2 easy questions are worth more than 1 hard question.

7. only check the time once during the entire exam. after 4 passages, you should have roughly 27 minutes left. if you have 25 minutes or less, realize you have to minimize going back to the passage. don't rush, just be steady throughout. right answers on 2 passages that you get 80% correct and rushing on the last where you get 50% is better than getting 2/3 correct on 3 passages.

hopefully that helps. with this, i've gotten everything from a 9 on my first exam to a 12 on the second. this tends to be the section most people do badly on, and thus, from what i read, a good score in this is worth more than a good score in the sections more people tend to do well in. remember, it doesn't require any previous knowledge or studying, and the answer is always on the screen. you literally just have to read a page and answer questions about it. confidence and efficiency is key to doing well, not knowing anything in particular - minimize outside thoughts, especially about how stressful the exam is or passages triggering memories. as you go along believe you're getting 90% right and you'll at worst get 80% right, which is a 10+. you can miss 10 questions and still get a 10. if you miss 1 per passage, that's an 11. admit you're going to miss some and focus on the ones you can get right.

hmm, i will say, i once (just 1 time!!!) got a 7 on a EK 101 section because i missed an entire passage worth of questions (7 in a row...) - i didn't realize the entire passage was being facetious. if you find you don't understand the passage at all while reading it, focus on the beginning and ending of each paragraph / idea, and try to conceptualize it as an ideation instead of focusing on the body of the paragraph which is usually just support / examples. people tend not to miss questions on specifics that can be quickly found in the passage if they highlighted that example - the ones they're going to miss are interpreting the author's argument as to why he is even writing this in the first place. the specifics just support the idea. focus on the idea, and the single most important thing to do is to focus on the author's argument, from his perspective. if you aren't getting the idea as you read (again, the most important thing and why you're reading in the first place), then read slower, fill in the [imaginary] details more yourself (ie stereotyping the author), and reread the beginning and end of paragraphs / ideas / sections immediately after you've finished them. i was more talented at writing (which takes talent) than the sciences (which takes effort), and spoke english all my life, so if you're an english 2nd language or somewhat dyslexic, i can't make any promises, but if you can read and understand the simplified / stereotyped argument you've created based on the passage, i can't imagine getting below a 10 on the actual thing. the 1st score i got was a 9 because i found reading passages on the screen totally different after 2+ months of doing them in the book, but since then, i've been at my average in the books with minimal effort put in. realistically, this is the easiest section of the test (people who work with reading opinionated articles could walk in and get a 12+ no practice) - the only reason people do badly on it is because they approach it with the same mindstate as the science sections using their science brain (right / wrong; black / white) instead of their arts brains (which they might have underdeveloped). confidence (remember you can miss 10 and get a 10, which is only 75% correct); consistency (read slow & steady; minimize going back if you 90% confident); and conceptualizing (you don't need to memorize the passage, you just need to understand a majority (remember 75%) of it). do that and you should be getting consistent double digit averages.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
2. read slowly and fully comprehend the passage. if you need to reread a line that is the first or last in a paragraph because right after you read it you didn't fully understand it, do that. the most important lines are the first and last - they summarize the idea. the whole time you're reading a passage you should be trying to build an idea about what the author is trying to say. if you didn't understand a paragraph by the end, then you should only reread the first and last lines. you don't have enough time to completely reread sections of the passage, while reading or during the question process.

4. minimally highlight. you should know the ideas based on reading, but highlight only specific names or examples throughout, never long passages. the point of highlighting is that if they ask what say Dr. Callum might think of XXXXX, you need to be able to find where in the passage he is discussed if you can't come up with the answer via recall.

6. don't sit on a question forever. if after a minute you just don't know the answer and aren't any closer to knowing, guess one, mark the question, and move on. you don't have time to go back and find every answer in the passage, rereading it every time. mark these questions, and when you're at the end, if you have extra time, you can go back and see if you might be able to second guess yourself. again, even at the end, unless you've only marked 1 or 2, you don't have time to reread an entire passage. some questions you'll answer immediately, some you'll have to go back to a part of the passage you can easily locate to determine, and a few you'll just have to guess. admit you're going to get some wrong regardless and focus on getting as many right as possible. 2 easy questions are worth more than 1 hard question.

This is a phenomenal post!

I will definitely give a shout out to 2, 4, and 6. I have slowly been seeing an increase in my aamc scores, 7, 7, 8, 8, (70% on official guide, 9?), 9 (75% AAMC 10, 1 more point it would have been a 10). This is mainly due to a technique I use that encompasses points 2, 4 and 6.

I also link paragraphs together to see how the chain leads to the main idea. How does paragraph 1 relate to paragraph 2, how does 2 relate to 3, etc. This has helped me tremendously and especially with those "go with the gut" questions. Well, I will know on test day if my strategy will actually work or not.

Last edited:
AAMC verb scores so far: 11,15,14,15,15
My method (average poster who tries experiences a min 2 pt jump in their verb
The following is my MCAT Verbal Reasoning strategy that got me from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

Spend the bulk of your time reading. Up to 3 minutes per passage.
  • Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

Or to summarize in one sentence

Understand what the hell the author is arguing

Reactions: 2 users
The following is my MCAT Verbal Reasoning strategy that got me from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

• Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

You forgot to add trick #4: be incredibly smart. I saw your posts; you've scored nearly or literally perfect on the last so many practice exams you've taken! It's incredible. I've got a few questions for you, if you don't mind. Are you or were you recently (or, to go further, were you ever) an avid reader? Would you consider yourself to be in good shape as far as cardio? Do you lift weights? What time do you wake up and go to bed (although I did see you mention vaguely that you sometimes get 4-5 hours of sleep, else feel groggy)?

Tee-heee, I feel like Im being interviewed!
I was a pretty avid reader, but not so much in college, can usually find a weekend though to knockout a novel or so.
Im in pretty good shape, I run a few miles everyday and I kick-box alot so Im below 10% bf'
I lift 2-3x a week
And Im usually asleep 2-3am, And I wake up 8-9am except on the occasional day where I sleep 3 hours, or 13 hours. Im sharpest at about 6-7 hours of sleep and as long as im over 5 hours Im pretty sharp for the first half of the day, but probably will need a nap

Tee-heee, I feel like Im being interviewed!
Hahaha, that's because you are!:D
I was a pretty avid reader, but not so much in college, can usually find a weekend though to knockout a novel or so.
Im in pretty good shape, I run a few miles everyday and I kick-box alot so Im below 10% bf'
I lift 2-3x a week
And Im usually asleep 2-3am, And I wake up 8-9am except on the occasional day where I sleep 3 hours, or 13 hours. Im sharpest at about 6-7 hours of sleep and as long as im over 5 hours Im pretty sharp for the first half of the day, but probably will need a nap
I also lift like 2-3 times per week, but I need to get back into cardio; you convinced me! And dang you need to fix your sleep schedule! It apparently works for you though, so props!

Thanks for the reply.

This strategy is so effective, once people catch on, they're going to have to change the Verbal section. Good for you for sharing.

It's got to be your avid reading. I don't know anyone who reads novels for fun anymore.