For those who scrambled

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sade

Primary care on my mind
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow scramblers,
I know most of us went through a frustrating afternoon but I have noticed a discrepancy. And Im wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

In the few hours from 12noon-6pm the mini ADT was working you couldnt know what documents were assigned but from 6pm onwards the older ADT system was back in function. So, since 6pm in every application I sent my USMLE transcript is not uploaded to POST OFFICE yet N/A. Do you have the same problem?

Is this just an error or ERAS hasnt uploaded the document?

Can anyone answer my queries please?

Members don't see this ad.

same problem... ERAS is going crazy cuz its not making any money off the scramble!

:D

Hi fellow scramblers,
I know most of us went through a frustrating afternoon but I have noticed a discrepancy. And Im wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

In the few hours from 12noon-6pm the mini ADT was working you couldnt know what documents were assigned but from 6pm onwards the older ADT system was back in function. So, since 6pm in every application I sent my USMLE transcript is not uploaded to POST OFFICE yet N/A. Do you have the same problem?

Is this just an error or ERAS hasnt uploaded the document?

Can anyone answer my queries please?

Had the same problem. At some programs, my USMLE scores were not submitted until after 5pm and some were not even uploaded when I checked after I got home. I called countless times to get a spot and even had my husband helping me, with no luck.

Thank you both for the response. I hated the scramble there was no means of communicating with the programs. And without a USMLE transcript they really cant evaluate you via ERAS. All the programs I called the lines were engaged or you get an automated voice message. Today I didnt even bother. ERAS 2010 looks more feasible but will subscribe to findaresident or residentswap just incase.

Yesterday some programs called me up to ask for my scores as they couldn't retrieve them from ERAS. Still didn't get a spot. Good luck to those who couldn't scramble as well. This is a point in my career where I wonder if going the PA route would've been better.

Thank you both for the response. I hated the scramble there was no means of communicating with the programs. And without a USMLE transcript they really cant evaluate you via ERAS. All the programs I called the lines were engaged or you get an automated voice message. Today I didnt even bother. ERAS 2010 looks more feasible but will subscribe to findaresident or residentswap just incase.

Are you a foreign or US student and what did you try for?

Are you a foreign or US student and what did you try for?
Im a foreign grad and I only applied to IM programs. Had limited resources this year. But I plan by september I can apply more widely and add a few FM programs to my list.

Shouldn't ERAS be responsible for the delay in transcript transmission and held accountable for it legally.

I have yet to hear of anyone who actually obtained a spot during the scramble as a standard NRMP applicant with a certified ROL. What a frustrating experience.

If anyone scrambled successfully, please post!

Several of my classmates scrambled successfully. They were US grads with certified ROLs who didn't match. Most are doing prelim years, but I believe at least one got a categorical spot.

Can you prove that the delay in transmission was directly responsible for causing you (or whoever) to be unable to land a spot?

I'm unsure of proving legal liability, but this did happen to me during the scramble. A program that was very interested (or at least sounded it) offered its spots to other people because ERAS didn't transmit my board scores in time.

I applied to a very competitive specialty requiring a prelim year. I had 13 advanced interviews and 7 prelim/transitional interviews. I never thought that I had to scramble, but it did happen to me. I'm a US senior. I must say that scramble was the worst day I've ever had. I ended up finding a categorial position in a less competitive specialty. However, I feel like I made the wrong decision by changing a specialty so quickly. I haven't even taken any elective in this field!

Looking back, I should have concentrated on getting a prelim spot rather than calling programs in a different specialty. I regret my decision, and wish I had a prelim spot now. What happens if I call it all off and try to find a prelim spot from now till July? Is this against the match rule?

If you signed a contract, that's binding for the upcoming year. You can apply again next year for your chosen specialty, but those programs will want a letter from the PD of your current program.

If you signed a contract, that's binding for the upcoming year. You can apply again next year for your chosen specialty, but those programs will want a letter from the PD of your current program.

Agreed. You signed a contract (or letter of intent), and that categorical program relied on it and sat out of the remaining scramble days. You have a binding contract for next year and nobody is going to touch you without your PD letting you out of it, which is unlikely and will start you off on a very bad foot if you ask.

Just to be fair:

Since you obtained a spot in the scramble, simply resigning now is NOT a match violation. You would be absolutely free to apply in the match next year. If PD's found out that you scrambled, signed a contract, then resigned -- they might consider you a flight risk and not interview / rank you. Would they find out? Maybe, maybe not. You would be under no requirement to tell them, and it would not be listed on your NRMP or ERAS records. If asked "What happened in the match last year?", a likely question, then you will need to be VERY careful -- if you lie, that's fraud and you can be fired immediately, any time in the future, if discovered. Whether answering "I didn;t match, and instead decided to do a year of research / prelim year and try again" is a lie or simply not the whole truth is a matter for the lawyers.

Of note, violating your contract could have repercussions outside of the NRMP. Technnically your program could sue you for breach of contract -- to pay for the costs of finding someone new and/or hiring moonlighters to cover your work. Would they? Probably not. Could they? Absolutely. Your contract probably has a clause about how much notice you need to give. If it's three months, then it might be possible to resign by Apr 1 and still not violate your contract.

Think about these things:

1. You didn;t match this year. What are you going to do next year to make yourself more competitive? Hint: a prelim year will NOT make you more competitive.

2. No good prelim spots are left. You are likely to get a not-so-great program, and that may not help at all.

3. If you do a prelim program, exactly how do you expect to go on 17 interviews? or more?