For those who took the MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sillyjoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In hindsight what day of exam tips do you wish you knew when you arrived at the test center?

Also, how much scratch paper do you get to write on when you are taking the exam? How easy is it to get more during the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

In hindsight what day of exam tips do you wish you knew when you arrived at the test center?

Also, how much scratch paper do you get to write on when you are taking the exam? How easy is it to get more during the exam?

You have more than enough scratch paper - more than you'll need. I have no idea how easy it is to get more, but I'd imagine very easy to ask between sections.

I wish I had spent less time doing content review and more time honing analytic skills of extremely convoluted and detailed scientific journal articles.

Reactions: 2 users
how would you hone those skills? just by reading them and trying to make your own questions from the data? i too am scared of scientific journal writing. are all the science passages written like them?

I would've done more practice exams.

You get a like 4 page booklet of paper to write on.. I used like 3/4 of the first page for equations during the tutorial, and then like another page total for the rest of my exam. You really don't need it for anything but PS, besides maybe some genetic crosses if you can't visualize it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I found that taking practice tests was beneficial in ways that had nothing to do with the content we were suppose to master. Just getting the timing down and becoming familiar with the procedure of taking the actual test was helpful for me. And my score started to climb about 3 practice tests in. I used all the TPR full lengths, and a few Kaplans, EK's, and Gold Standards (at least).

You have more than enough scratch paper - more than you'll need. I have no idea how easy it is to get more, but I'd imagine very easy to ask between sections.

I wish I had spent less time doing content review and more time honing analytic skills of extremely convoluted and detailed scientific journal articles.

This.

If you want more you just raise your paper in the air, they take your used packet and give you a fresh one, or you can get it in between sections. It has 4 sheets, so 8 pages.

"honing analytic skills of extremely convoluted and detailed scientific journal articles" That was pretty much the entire BS section for me, and the books nor AAMC exams prepare you for this.

are there no practice exams out there that BS passages like the real thing?

I wish I had spent a few days skimming a review book and 95% of my time doing practice tests.

Be prepared to take the real test with interruptions, people walking behind you, etc. Practice in a semi noisy environment and expect distractions so you don't get even more distracted because you're angry.

Take some tests in the morning and afternoon. See what you like better. Try eating different foods and amounts of coffee etc. I chose to each a couple small meals and drink coffee before my test. I also took an apple for the breaks and blew off the writing to rest.

Try to keep a sense of humor and confidence throughout test day and avoid people who are scared and nervous.

Most importantly, eliminate wrong answers and circle whatever is left. Don't doubt yourself and keep moving.

Reactions: 1 users
I wish I had spent a few days skimming a review book and 95% of my time doing practice tests.

Be prepared to take the real test with interruptions, people walking behind you, etc. Practice in a semi noisy environment and expect distractions so you don't get even more distracted because you're angry.

Take some tests in the morning and afternoon. See what you like better. Try eating different foods and amounts of coffee etc. I chose to each a couple small meals and drink coffee before my test. I also took an apple for the breaks and blew off the writing to rest.

Try to keep a sense of humor and confidence throughout test day and avoid people who are scared and nervous.

Most importantly, eliminate wrong answers and circle whatever is left. Don't doubt yourself and keep moving.

Great post, thanks.

This girl started singing during my exam. Thank god I had ear plugs. While waiting to be called into the test this girl sat beside me and started feverishly going over her notes, I was like oh no no, I got up and immediately moved to the other side of the room, don't let people stress you out. You need to be calm.

This girl started singing during my exam. Thank god I had ear plugs. While waiting to be called into the test this girl sat beside me and started feverishly going over her notes, I was like oh no no, I got up and immediately moved to the other side of the room, don't let people stress you out. You need to be calm.

Is there a list of "approved" ear plugs or can you just get any?

Is there a list of "approved" ear plugs or can you just get any?

Any, just make sure it's sealed. They will make you open them and throw the packaging away when you go to the testing room, then you leave them in there until the end of the exam

Members don't see this ad :)
Just know that people will be taking GREs, MCATs, DATs, USMLEs, etc while you are in there. People will be going in an out constantly, you might be unlucky and randomly get the seat beside the door. Some people might be typing an essay, some people might whisper while they read. Lots of random noises can occur.

Just know that people will be taking GREs, MCATs, DATs, USMLEs, etc while you are in there. People will be going in an out constantly, you might be unlucky and randomly get the seat beside the door. Some people might be typing an essay, some people might whisper while they read. Lots of random noises can occur.

Any suggestions on ear plugs?

Did you find that they made it completely silent or were you still distracted?

I wasn't distracted. I heard some noises but it was OK. If you are distracted they have noise reducing headphones, you can put that on top of the earplugs. That should surely get rid of all the noise

by practice tests, do you mean others besides the AAMC ones? I've been wondering which FL's to start doing after i finish the AAMC's

by practice tests, do you mean others besides the AAMC ones? I've been wondering which FL's to start doing after i finish the AAMC's

I would suggest one or two AAMC practice tests early in your prep to get a feel for the concepts that are ultra high yield. Then do whatever tests you can get your hands on from major companies.

Save most of the AAMC's for last, and don't chicken out. Do full lengths under timed conditions. Building endurance is just as important as knowledge.

Kaplan tests--lots of detail
TBR passages--difficult concepts
EK--too simple
Princeton review--no idea
AAMC--very close to the real exam

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have a really funny storry about the first time I took the MCAT.

So probably 30 min before my 1:00PM exam I chugged a 16oz redbull and I am a small individual with probably the smallest bladder EVER made. Half way during PS I was just praying for the section to be over so I could use the restroom. So finally the break came and I went and came back I guess 1 min before my time was going to start. Anyway my proctor was the meanest person that worked that day and she was like you're late blah blah.. and I am not one to sit there an argue so I said okay I was in the bathroom what do you want me to do. And she said she is going to have to document that I was "late". Since it was my FIRST TIME I kind of freaked out because in all reality that sounds like a pretty bad thing .. and I assumed they would send it to AAMC and my score would be voided and the world was going to end.

So after the test I called AAMC and the guy just laughed and apologized for the horrendous experience I had, made sure to take down the center's name so it wouldn't happen again. He pretty much said any time you are "late" your section just starts on the computer and that's that. Nothing gets reported or noted down or whatever else that proctor made me believe.

Moral of the story don't chug red bull :)

I have a really funny storry about the first time I took the MCAT.

So probably 30 min before my 1:00PM exam I chugged a 16oz redbull and I am a small individual with probably the smallest bladder EVER made. Half way during PS I was just praying for the section to be over so I could use the restroom. So finally the break came and I went and came back I guess 1 min before my time was going to start. Anyway my proctor was the meanest person that worked that day and she was like you're late blah blah.. and I am not one to sit there an argue so I said okay I was in the bathroom what do you want me to do. And she said she is going to have to document that I was "late". Since it was my FIRST TIME I kind of freaked out because in all reality that sounds like a pretty bad thing .. and I assumed they would send it to AAMC and my score would be voided and the world was going to end.

So after the test I called AAMC and the guy just laughed and apologized for the horrendous experience I had, made sure to take down the center's name so it wouldn't happen again. He pretty much said any time you are "late" your section just starts on the computer and that's that. Nothing gets reported or noted down or whatever else that proctor made me believe.

Moral of the story don't chug red bull :)

It doesn't start. I took 12-15 minute breaks each time, and I think I took an even longer one before experimental. Before starting the BS section (I already went late) I wrote down some notes and peak values and such, and wrote down the amino acids, etc. Then I started. Just like the AAMC exams, the time doesn't start on the new section until you click next on the screen that says "Physical Science" or "Verbal Reasoning" or "Biological Sciences" with the instructions on how to answer the questions.

It doesn't start. I took 12-15 minute breaks each time, and I think I took an even longer one before experimental. Before starting the BS section (I already went late) I wrote down some notes and peak values and such, and wrote down the amino acids, etc. Then I started. Just like the AAMC exams, the time doesn't start on the new section until you click next on the screen that says "Physical Science" or "Verbal Reasoning" or "Biological Sciences" with the instructions on how to answer the questions.
wut? so you can take as long a break as u want?

wut? so you can take as long a break as u want?

I guess you could unless that proctor has a problem with it, but I wouldn't test it. If you are planning on taking more time, at least be sitting in front of the computer incase it has some kind of time-out thing, or if it maybe starts automatically after a certain amount of time.

I would suggest one or two AAMC practice tests early in your prep to get a feel for the concepts that are ultra high yield. Then do whatever tests you can get your hands on from major companies.

Save most of the AAMC's for last, and don't chicken out. Do full lengths under timed conditions. Building endurance is just as important as knowledge.

Kaplan tests--lots of detail
TBR passages--difficult concepts
EK--too simple
Princeton review--no idea
AAMC--very close to the real exam

thanks liamneesons. i hope you're as excited for the new season of key and peele as i am

if, on Test Day, I were to come across a statement in a BS or PS passage that contradicted known scientific knowledge and there was a question about that statement, should I strictly adhere to what the passage is saying and base my answer on the passage?

if, on Test Day, I were to come across a statement in a BS or PS passage that contradicted known scientific knowledge and there was a question about that statement, should I strictly adhere to what the passage is saying and base my answer on the passage?

That would depend. If the passage strictly says something, then follow the passage. For example if the passage says the earths radius is 5000 km and you know it is 6400 km, then go with 5000 km.