For those with avg MCATs, how many MD IIs/acceptances do you have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of curious about this...for people with an avg MCAT (~508-512), how many MD interviews and acceptances did you get? If you are willing to share the schools you've been accepted at, that would be great too!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a 512 and was very fortunate to have 8 interviews, 4 of which I was accepted, 3 waitlisted, and 1 pending decision. I honestly didn't have much confidence in my app so I applied very broadly (about 20 MD schools) to try to maximize my chance of getting in somewhere.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
31 MCAT (2014)
I am an MS1

10 II, 7 attended.
1 acceptance. 2 WL. (I dont seem to interview well).

Nontrad

Reactions: 1 user
503 MCAT. 7 II, 1 acceptance (i'm a Texas resident)

Reactions: 6 users
6 MD IIs (4 UC's) with 2 MD acceptances (UCLA and Charles drew respectively), 2 rejections and 2 waitlist. Its possible fam.

Reactions: 5 users
507 MCAT 12 II. PM if you would like to know schools. There is much more to an app than MCAT, even though I would not recommend going much lower than my score unless you have other factors in your app (URM, Military Service, Olympian, etc)

Reactions: 4 users
LOL Literally everyone who responded is non typical. Majority of people get 3 or less, so I can't imagine "average" MCAT scorers will really make up a significant portion of the other half. Don't let it fool you.

Reactions: 3 users
6 MD IIs (4 UC's) with 2 MD acceptances (UCLA and Charles drew respectively), 2 rejections and 2 waitlist. Its possible fam.
Holy cow! Geffen?! Nice man, congrats!

LOL Literally everyone who responded is non typical. Majority of people get 3 or less, so I can't imagine "average" MCAT scorers will really make up a significant portion of the other half. Don't let it fool you.

True. I was fortunate to have some amazing opportunities come my way during my time off from school. Significantly strengthened my app (or so I think lol).

Holy cow! Geffen?! Nice man, congrats!

Thanks bud! PM me if you want any help in the future.

507 MCAT. Applied 10 schools, 4 II (declined 1), 3 acceptances.

Canadian

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
503 MCAT. Applied to one in-state school ED. Accepted ED

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

510, 7 MD II, 1 acceptance, 4 WL, 1 rejection, 1 didn't attend. (Also had 3 DO II with 3 acceptances) Applied very broadly ~30 MD schools and 3 DO.

Edit: although I applied to a lot of schools, I wasn't super smart with my list and there were several that were a waste of money because of their OOS policies that I was unaware of.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
510, 5 II --> 4 acceptances, 1 rejection
Acceptances: UC Riverside, Jeff, Dartmouth, Duke

I'm kind of curious about this...for people with an avg MCAT (~508-512), how many MD interviews and acceptances did you get? If you are willing to share the schools you've been accepted at, that would be great too!
Lol 508-512 certainly isn't average, it's the 80th-90th percentile

Reactions: 24 users
Lol 508-512 certainly isn't average, it's the 80th-90th percentile

It's average for an MD acceptance, depending on your state of residence. Nobody cares about the test taker average because many of those people don't apply MD (or at all).

It's average for an MD acceptance, depending on your state of residence. Nobody cares about the test taker average because many of those people don't apply MD (or at all).
Yeah I get that, but when someone calls a 512 "average," it perpetuates the common myth that people should retake scores that are around the 90th percentile, which is a dangerous idea. There are about a billion threads on SDN of people asking if they should retake solid scores, and the answer is almost always no. Just trying to prevent that misconception.

Reactions: 17 users
Yeah I get that, but when someone calls a 512 "average," it perpetuates the common myth that people should retake scores that are around the 90th percentile, which is a dangerous idea. There are about a billion threads on SDN of people asking if they should retake solid scores, and the answer is almost always no. Just trying to prevent that misconception.

Not necessarily. An average score doesn't necessitate a retake. "Average" is usually close to median, which means that half of the people below that score have gotten into med school. If a person still re-takes it, that's their own problem.

Not necessarily. An average score doesn't necessitate a retake. "Average" is usually close to median, which means that half of the people below that score have gotten into med school. If a person still re-takes it, that's their own problem.
:confused:

No. Average = 500. 500 necessitates a retake.

Reactions: 8 users
:confused:

No. Average = 500. 500 necessitates a retake.

By "average" I'm talking with regard to average for an admitted student to a particular med school. If that's not what you are talking about, then a person who thinks that a 512 is the test taker average (by which i mean the ACTUAL average) because they read it on SDN doesn't even deserve to go to medical school for being so gullible and foolish by not checking actual AAMC statistics. What I said before referred to someone being average for a med school admit. Either way, it doesn't matter.

504 and applied to 4 schools (1 MD and 3 DO) with 3 II (attended 2), 2 acceptances, (MD and DO) and 1 rejection (DO). Southern state resident fortunately.

Below average ORM applicant w/ 502, 2 MD II and 4 DO II, 2 attended. 2 acceptances and 2 WL so far.

506 MCAT, 8 II, 5 Attended (3 Withdrew), 1 R, 3 A, 1 WL

Well I'm glad I didn't listen to this thread when I was applying to this cycle.
MCAT: 500 (which is actually average)
Applied to 9 (all MD)
6 II
2 acceptances
2 high priority WL
2 WL
2 rejections (1 silence which I'm gonna take as the 3rd rejection)
Word of advice: apply smart and realize your potential. There will always be someone out there telling you not to apply (actually had that happen to me from a premed advisor, turns out he had a recent close death in the family). Every experience you have you just have to learn from. :)

Reactions: 9 users
Well I'm glad I didn't listen to this thread when I was applying to this cycle.
MCAT: 500 (which is actually average)
Applied to 9 (all MD)
6 II
2 acceptances
2 high priority WL
2 WL
2 rejections (1 silence which I'm gonna take as the 3rd rejection)
Word of advice: apply smart and realize your potential. There will always be someone out there telling you not to apply (actually had that happen to me from a premed advisor, turns out he had a recent close death in the family). Every experience you have you just have to learn from. :)
URM? Veteran status? Peace Corps? Fullbright scholar?

URM? Veteran status? Peace Corps? Fullbright scholar?
I'm black, took one gap year, and I don't fit any of the others you listed.
I did a crap ton of shadowing, scribing, and research and I put together a great application.

I'm black, took one gap year, and I don't fit any of the others you listed.
I did a crap ton of shadowing, scribing, and research and I put together a great application.
Congrats but I do think your situation is a little different as a URM; you are right not to have listened to this thread lol.

An mcat of 508-512 is actually pretty average for non URM matriculants

Extremely unbalanced 512 & 3.9 GPA.

7 II
So far: 4 acceptances, 1 rejection, 2 waitlists.

CA Resident, so odds were against me in that sense. (no state school II's)

Very grateful for how things have turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

511 & 3.8 GPA + non-US citizen & no green card & non-URM + non-trad (PM me for details)

16 IIs
5 acceptances, 1 rejection, 4 waitlists, withdrew from 3 post-interview, did not attend 3

Matriculating at a top 3 medical school! MCAT isn't everything. If you can bring something unique to the table, aim high and shoot for the stars.

Last edited:
510 balanced

3 MD II, 1 wait-list, 1 hold, 1 haven't heard back, and 1 DO acceptance.

510. 4 interviews 1 acceptance and 1 waitlist. Didn't attend 2 interviews

506. 4 II, 2 A, 1 WL, 1 waiting for decision

Congrats but I do think your situation is a little different as a URM; you are right not to have listened to this thread lol.

I don't think my situation is any different. Being URM makes no difference when you have people with the same stats than me or better with no acceptances. That's why I say school choice matters. I applied to schools that fit my own life goals and philosophies. I didn't apply blindly and assume that all that matters is my mcat score. It happens time and time again. Applicants with 515+ mcat scores that receive no interviews and have to reapply because they picked a bad list. The only reason i say this is that no one else that is URM is made to feel bad about their acceptance because of their status. :)

I don't think my situation is any different. Being URM makes no difference when you have people with the same stats than me or better with no acceptances. That's why I say school choice matters. I applied to schools that fit my own life goals and philosophies. I didn't apply blindly and assume that all that matters is my mcat score. It happens time and time again. Applicants with 515+ mcat scores that receive no interviews and have to reapply because they picked a bad list. The only reason i say this is that no one else that is URM is made to feel bad about their acceptance because of their status. :)
Being URM does make a difference. Id refer you to the infamous AAMC Table 24.
/thread

Reactions: 6 users

509 MCAT 0 MD II, 1 DO II, 0 acceptances

You should have stopped after "Congrats". I don't know what compelled you to point out that their situation is different. There are URMs looking at this thread that will appreciate their response.

I see another commenter is ORM and had a similar MCAT, yet nobody felt the need to qualify their success.

Reactions: 15 users
It wasn't a slug to the countless
This isn't a slug at all to the countless number URMs, myself including, that have worked hard to get to where they are.

You read my statement the way you wanted to and responded according.

All I was stating is that you shouldn't tell people not to listen to something all because of your success with your app.

While a 500 is perfectly fine. It is not the average for matriculants at all, just the average for test takers.

The what are my chances threads ask if the student is a URM all of the time to help them are with a school list, etc.

It wasn't a slug to the countless

This isn't a slug at all to the countless number URMs, myself including, that have worked hard to get to where they are.

You read my statement the way you wanted to and responded according.

All I was stating is that you shouldn't tell people not to listen to something all because of your success with your app.

While a 500 is perfectly fine. It is not the average for matriculants at all, just the average for test takers.

The what are my chances threads ask if the student is a URM all of the time to help them are with a school list, etc.

Your comment was pretty pointless after "congrats" though. They didn't tell anyone "not to listen to something", they said they were happy they didn't listen.

It has been commented several times on this thread the difference between the avg of test takers vs. avg of matriculants, so it's redundant at this point.

You asking about URM status wasn't critiqued, it was our subsequent comment.

End of the day, I'm happy that poster added to the thread and I hope unnecessary comments about URM posters don't deter anyone else from openly sharing.

Sorry for getting off topic! Wish I had stats to post. Next cycle ;)

Last edited:
59270835.jpg

Reactions: 30 users
Your comment was pretty pointless after "congrats" though. They didn't tell anyone "not to listen to something", they said they were happy they didn't listen.

It has been commented several times on this thread the difference between the avg of test takers vs. avg of matriculants, so it's redundant at this point.

You asking about URM status wasn't critiqued, it was our subsequent comment.

End of the day, I'm happy that poster added to the thread and I hope unnecessary comments about URM posters don't deter anyone else from openly sharing.
They stated that they were happy they didn't listen to people in this thread because of their success, which is great.

You are definitely making something out of nothing

They stated that they were happy they didn't listen to people in this thread because of their success, which is great.

You are definitely making something out of nothing

RIGHT, so I don't know how you took from that they were telling everyone else not to listen to anyone. You made it into something it wasn't, and I was just trying to help you see your error. Whatevs ;)

You should have stopped after "Congrats". I don't know what compelled you to point out that their situation is different. There are URMs looking at this thread that will appreciate their response.

I see another commenter is ORM and had a similar MCAT, yet nobody felt the need to qualify their success.
To be fair, we can all agree that it would be unwise for an ORM applicant with a 500 to only apply to nine MD schools and no DO schools. So it is important to state things like URM/veteran status when posting in threads that are directly linking stats to application success, because they make a difference.

And it is also important to state URM status so other URM's seeing this thread will appreciate their response and take it into consideration for their own cycle.

To be fair, we can all agree that it would be unwise for an ORM applicant with a 500 to only apply to nine MD schools and no DO schools. So it is important to state things like URM/veteran status when posting in threads that are directly linking stats to application success, because they make a difference.

And it is also important to state URM status so other URM's seeing this thread will appreciate their response and take it into consideration for their own cycle.
I acknowledge that applying with a 500 is risky but I took that risk knowing my potential and what I can bring to a medical school. But I also think people need to be mindful of using the URM status or even the veteran status as the ONLY reason why someone is offered acceptance to a med school. I can acknowledge at this point in education race matters, but to make it seem like it is impossible to get in with one blemish (a 500 mcat score) on your application is absurd and down right discouraging. If I listened to this thread I would have waited and retook the mcat for a 3rd time which I know would have done more harm than good. But at the end of the day no one can tell you the best time to apply. That's up to the applicant

504 2 MD II 2 reject

Another individual I know of has a 505 MCAT, 2 MD II, 2 acceptances

I acknowledge that applying with a 500 is risky but I took that risk knowing my potential and what I can bring to a medical school. But I also think people need to be mindful of using the URM status or even the veteran status as the ONLY reason why someone is offered acceptance to a med school. I can acknowledge at this point in education race matters, but to make it seem like it is impossible to get in with one blemish (a 500 mcat score) on your application is absurd and down right discouraging. If I listened to this thread I would have waited and retook the mcat for a 3rd time which I know would have done more harm than good. But at the end of the day no one can tell you the best time to apply. That's up to the applicant
I'm definitely not saying it's impossible, because clearly it's possible if your application has other strong factors. The purpose of this thread was to directly link MCAT to success, and I personally find it helpful to include that I was ORM when I posted so that people can compare themselves to me if they are in a similar position.

I would never suggest that URM is the only reason an applicant is accepted, but rather acknowledging that due to systematic racism in this country, especially throughout the education system, there are oftentimes more barriers to URM students pursuing professional degrees. So if another URM applicant saw your stats and also knew you were URM, I think they would feel encouraged to apply. And why as an ORM I knew it was a long shot for me to apply MD with a 502.

I pointed out that I was not critiquing the fact that he asked if he was URM, veteran, etc. After the poster added that he was URM, I felt that's where it should have ended. So I shared my opinion.

Again, there's at least one other poster with similar stats that ORM and nobody is commenting qualifying their successful cycle. I didn't see anyone harp on saying they're giving the wrong message to other ORMs. They read it and kept scrolling.

It just seems on this site, when it comes to URMs, it can never be just congrats. For us, it's always congrats, but . . . (even when a conversation isn't required as it seems like a stats only thread). Every single mention of URM doesn't warrant a statement about how much easier/different it may have been.

That's all.