For those with children. . .

What position did/does your newborn sleep in?

• Back

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Stomach

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

dsblaha

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a new baby (7 weeks) and I was wondering if any of you put your babies to sleep on their tummys. I know you are supposed to put them on their back because of SIDS but she sleeps so much better on her stomach.

Did anyone defy doctor's orders and if so were you stressed out about it?

Members don't see this ad.

we had a two-sided wedge that held them on their sides. it gives them the best of both worlds and keeps them from aspirating vomitus. they're cheap and work great.

If your baby can move her head & control it decently it shouldn't make a difference. Don't put fluffy blankets in the crib or anything else up by the baby's face.

I had my daugher back when they were recommending putting babies to sleep on their sides rather than stomach or back. You could always roll up a couple of blankets and wedge the kiddo on her side as a compromise.

Members don't see this ad :)
clkimmey said:
we had a two-sided wedge that held them on their sides. it gives them the best of both worlds and keeps them from aspirating vomitus. they're cheap and work great.

These are great. We dubbed ours "the baby wedge." I wasn't sure if they were still making them with the big "back to sleep" campaigns.

Ha ha ha, "wedge the kiddo." I picture DrMom wedging her kid in a bookcase for the night. :laugh: "I'll be back in the morning!"

DrMom said:
These are great. We dubbed ours "the baby wedge." I wasn't sure if they were still making them with the big "back to sleep" campaigns.

i'm not sure either. we haven't used one for 6 years, and the one we had was ten years old.

the blanket thing works just fine too.

kinetic said:
Ha ha ha, "wedge the kiddo." I picture DrMom wedging her kid in a bookcase for the night. :laugh: "I'll be back in the morning!"

the sock drawer is great too. if they get too loud, you just shut the drawer and the wadded up cotton around them muffles the crying.

clkimmey said:
the sock drawer is great too. if they get too loud, you just shut the drawer and the wadded up cotton around them muffles the crying.

I can't believe I didn't think of that!

dsblaha said:
I can't believe I didn't think of that!

creativity + light sleeper = nifty solution :p

My 2 week old son sleeps on my arm or my wife's, at least at night, so I guess we're his wedges. :rolleyes:

This was such a source of stress for me when my daughter was born- I won't go into all the sleeping contraptions we invested in in order to get some sleep and not be worried about her safety. A mother of twins (and a Harvard doc) recommended putting her in her car seat next to the bed. It worked like a charm b/c she felt snuggled but she stayed on her back. And she was nearby for late night nursing.