For you Dead Fans out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Listening to this, today. The perfect antidote:

View attachment 323035

That is a beaut. How can one not like that 6/28 Jam.

I've been all over the place recently. mainly sticking to 72-74 and some 77 and occasionally 78 for good measure. But my overall listening has gone down over the past few months.

Members don't see this ad.

Listening to 5/22/77 today.

Oh, boy. That Sugaree. That Sugaree.

So tasty.

Members don't see this ad :)
every sugaree that is gorgeous!
The 5/22/77 Morning Dew would not have been what it is without Keith's delicate playing throughout the performance, especially about 2/3 in. It also didn't hurt that Jerry channeled something from a higher power during this one, along with rest of the band following suit. Put this one on a diamond-carved CD and send it into space to let future forms of life know what we once had.

Listening to 2/3, 2/4 and 2/5/78 from DP #18. I love this one. One highlight after another.

Listening to 2/3, 2/4 and 2/5/78 from DP #18. I love this one. One highlight after another.

yea man they are PEPPY then, aren't they. I've always felt that early 1978 was just an extension of 1977. I'm not as much of a fan of the later months like > July, but early 1978 is fun, upbeat, energetic

That, and there was quite a bit of mescaline goin' around that spring

Amazing - how could someone even play on mescaline? But then again, a lot of great music has been made on heroin. Sure, pot and beer - I can see that, but mescaline and/or heroin - how do you find your guitar much less find the chords?

Amazing - how could someone even play on mescaline? But then again, a lot of great music has been made on heroin. Sure, pot and beer - I can see that, but mescaline and/or heroin - how do you find your guitar much less find the chords?
I'm not sure. I've never taken mescaline or heroin (always tried to stay away from the hard stuff). But if I had to bet on anyone to pull it off, I'd put my money on the Dead. Lol

Listening to 9/18/87 at Madison Square Garden, today. This show rips all the way through. And the Morning Dew, is special. Nice matrix (Eichorn) recording >>here.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently doing a run through whole Europe '72 tour. Right now I'm on show #4, 4/14/72 at Tivoli and the Dark Star is incredible. I love this version. It starts out so fast and high energy. Some Dark Stars can lose my interest if they get too spacey, but this one stays hot. Jerry is on playing like a madman facing electrocution. And the Feelin' Groovy Jam at the end is the chocolate sauce on top that cools the whole thing off. This whole show is knock down, drag out, fight-a-pack-of-wild-bear-cubs good.

Man, I love this band and this tour. Europe seventy-f*ing-two. Damn.

Get back on the bus, @thegenius ! You too, @WilcoWorld & @24GaugeEJ !

Last edited:
"She Talks to Angels"
"Jealous Again"
"Wiser Time"

On Tiny Desk

Damn, this woman was good. Not that I didn't know it at the time, because I did. But, Holy ****

I'm currently doing a run through whole Europe '72 tour. Right now I'm on show #4, 4/14/72 at Tivoli and the Dark Star is incredible. I love this version. It starts out so fast and high energy. Some Dark Stars can lose my interest if they get too spacey, but this one stays hot. Jerry is on playing like a madman facing electrocution. And the Feelin' Groovy Jam at the end is the chocolate sauce on top that cools the whole thing off. This whole show is knock down, drag out, fight-a-pack-of-wild-bear-cubs good.

Man, I love this band and this tour. Europe seventy-f*ing-two. Damn.

Get back on the bus, @thegenius ! You too, @WilcoWorld & @24GaugeEJ !

I'm here! Not posting as much these days as there isn't much to post about. My dead listening has gone drastically down too. I'm not really replacing it with anything though...I'm just listening to less and less these days. My dead listening goes in cycles over my 15 years and I think I'm in a down cycle now

In any event though....Europe 72 remains a very special time for the boys. It's almost like 77 the quality (music and recording) is so great.

Reactions: 1 user
In any event though....Europe 72 remains a very special time for the boys. It's almost like 77 the quality (music and recording) is so great.
Listening to

And It Stoned Me, Aug. 29, '87, Jerry Garcia Band (Album: Electric On The Eel)

So, so, good.

Listening to April 26, '72

Turn On Your Lovelight > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad

I must say, this is some good sheit.

Put it on in your ED tonight. If it doesn't wake your dead, you can call the code.

Tracks 27-28: Stream here

Oh, man. Listen to those mean opening power chords bang away, by JG. Then that funky-jazz-blues soloing. Greasy!

Save Mother Earth

May 21, 1971

Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders
Garcia Live Vol. 15

Uh!

The Other One from 10/22/71 kicks butt, in a big way.

Listen to it right, tracks 3 all the way through 6 >>> 10/22/71

The moment I got your email I turned it on. That TOO, especially the first bit, gets extremely ferocious. I can hear Godchaux just pounding on the keyboard! The newbie pounding away.

The moment I got your email I turned it on. That TOO, especially the first bit, gets extremely ferocious. I can hear Godchaux just pounding on the keyboard! The newbie pounding away.
Listening to the Dark Star from the night before. Beautiful.

Captain_Beefheart_-_Shiny_Beast_%28Bat_Chain_Puller%29.jpg

5/13/72 TOO is smokin. It's got sirens! Ambulance sirens during it! The fans in France are being carted off to the hospital all with unexplained altered mental status.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
5/13/72 TOO is smokin. It's got sirens! Ambulance sirens during it! The fans in France are being carted off to the hospital all with unexplained altered mental status.
I love that one!

Hey @Birdstrike. I know you workout / run to the Dead at times. I just went to the gym for the first time today in years after I broke my back and it felt good. I'm totally out of shape but that's a different matter. :)
So I ran to 5/13/72 TOO which is just thumpin as I wrote above. It's kickin. Man some of those TOO's are just utterly fantastic and rip roaring great to work out to. For instance, another would be 2/5/78.

Anyway, got me thinking about making a playlist of energetic Dead songs. Songs that just pump you up! Have you done that? If so please share! If not, let's make one. For instance I would nominate
2/5/78 TOO
4/24/78 The Music Never Stopped
9/3/77 Truckin'

Hey @Birdstrike. I know you workout / run to the Dead at times. I just went to the gym for the first time today in years after I broke my back and it felt good. I'm totally out of shape but that's a different matter. :)
So I ran to 5/13/72 TOO which is just thumpin as I wrote above. It's kickin. Man some of those TOO's are just utterly fantastic and rip roaring great to work out to. For instance, another would be 2/5/78.

Anyway, got me thinking about making a playlist of energetic Dead songs. Songs that just pump you up! Have you done that? If so please share! If not, let's make one. For instance I would nominate
2/5/78 TOO
4/24/78 The Music Never Stopped
9/3/77 Truckin'
I haven’t done it yet, but it’s a good idea. I usually just pick a show to listen to and if a song is low energy (drums, space) I just skip. But it’s a good idea.

Scarlet>Fire from Cornell would be good. The studio versions of Touch of Grey and Hell In A Bucket are pretty high energy. Bertha 8/27/72 might be good. Minglewood from 4/29/71. Any Hard to Handle has energy galore.

Congrats on getting back to the gym after the injury. That’s a big deal.

PS: This 12/7/71 show I’m listening to right now has a fair amount of energy (Dave’s 22)

@thegenius

Last edited:
Listening to 2/26/77 today, Dave's Picks 29, at Swing Auditorium. Great show!

Daves-Picks-Volume-29.jpg

Listening to 2/26/77 today, Dave's Picks 29, at Swing Auditorium. Great show!

Daves-Picks-Volume-29.jpg

I can say with probable certainty that if there was ever one show I could only have, it would be this one. Surprising because it doesn't have Dark Star or TOO, but it's got just about everything else and it's just an absolutely exactly perfect show.

What's not to love? First Estimated and Terrapin. A great Playin > Wheel > Playin sandwich. A soaring Sugaree. The second set just doesn't stop. Help > Slip > Franklin, a great TMNS, Eyes > Dancin. With a great little Phil solo in the middle. Ends with US Blues as the encore.

This is the first show of 1977 and probably that year's best.

I can say with probable certainty that if there was ever one show I could only have, it would be this one. Surprising because it doesn't have Dark Star or TOO, but it's got just about everything else and it's just an absolutely exactly perfect show.

What's not to love? First Estimated and Terrapin. A great Playin > Wheel > Playin sandwich. A soaring Sugaree. The second set just doesn't stop. Help > Slip > Franklin, a great TMNS, Eyes > Dancin. With a great little Phil solo in the middle. Ends with US Blues as the encore.

This is the first show of 1977 and probably that year's best.
Ten thumbs up

Two listens today:

8/5/90 Jerry Garcia Band at the Greek (Garcia Live Vol. 2)

6/23/74 Jai-Alai Fronton (Dave’s Picks 34)

Turn ‘em on and get ta feelin’ good.

Reactions: 1 users
Two listens today:

8/5/90 Jerry Garcia Band at the Greek (Garcia Live Vol. 2)

6/23/74 Jai-Alai Fronton (Dave’s Picks 34)

Turn ‘em on and get ta feelin’ good.

i can say putatively that 6/23/74 is a very special show. (The Dark Star ain't that special...most >= '74 aren't) but the Spanish Jam > US Blues is spectacular!

Today I'm listening to 9/7/73 and 9/8/73 at Uniondale. These may not be the best shows ever, but damnit, I just love this '73 sound. Sublime.

Daves-Picks-Volume-38.jpg
Daves-Picks-2021-Bonus-Disc.jpg

Today I'm listening to 9/7/73 and 9/8/73 at Uniondale. These may not be the best shows ever, but damnit, I just love this '73 sound. Sublime.

Daves-Picks-Volume-38.jpg
Daves-Picks-2021-Bonus-Disc.jpg

73 is really something special. For the past 24 hours I'm just playing repeated PITB's from 73. At least starting in the summer 73 (or probably earlier), Jerry would put on the wah wah peddle and make his guitar sound like it's reverberating underwater. It's a silky, drippy, psychedelic way of communicating. Examples would be 6/22, 6/26...he didn't turn it on for 7/28 though.

Aren't the ones above in September 73 with horns? I think they had someone touring with them that month doing horns. Can't remember the name but honestly I don't care too much for them.

73 is really something special. For the past 24 hours I'm just playing repeated PITB's from 73. At least starting in the summer 73 (or probably earlier), Jerry would put on the wah wah peddle and make his guitar sound like it's reverberating underwater. It's a silky, drippy, psychedelic way of communicating. Examples would be 6/22, 6/26...he didn't turn it on for 7/28 though.

Aren't the ones above in September 73 with horns? I think they had someone touring with them that month doing horns. Can't remember the name but honestly I don't care too much for them.
Yes, I love his wah wah effect on those. Just awesome.

I think (?) the horn shows are from 9/11/73 - 9/26/73. So, I'm pretty sure you're safe with Dave's 38 (9/8/73 and 2nd set of 9/7/73). Good stuff.