For you Dead Fans out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh man the first 5-6 mins are so silky.
You can't even hear all the problems in the world. All the wars and famine and global warming.
It just all goes away.

It's remarkable, isn't it?
Yes. And everything after it just jams, and jams and jams. Great set!

Members don't see this ad.

@thegenius

Curious as to your opinion on the original version, the Kingfish album version, of Lazy Lightning/Supplication. No Dead. No Jerry Garcia. 100% Weir/Barlow and Kingfish when born.

Then and only then, Garcia puts his spin on it at Dead shows.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jerry's playing is just incredible, on Valdez in the Country, from Nov. 2nd, 1974. He plays very well, most of the time. He played extremely well, a lot of the time. But sometimes he plays in a way that makes you say, "f¥*k.”" After all, it is '74.

11/2/74, Valdez in the Country, Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders (Garcia Live, Vol. 18).

@thegenius

Yesterday was the anniversary of the last ever Dead show - Soldier's Field. I was there, it wasn't a particularly great show, but I got to see Jerry!

Reactions: 2 users
Yesterday was the anniversary of the last ever Dead show - Soldier's Field. I was there, it wasn't a particularly great show, but I got to see Jerry!
Oh, wow. Amazing.

Reactions: 1 users
What the hell is this?

He’s Gone > Jam (23:06)

7/6/90

Whoa now!

I just listened to it twice. Once at work and once on the way home.

First..it's f'ing damn good. I love hearing this kind of stuff from the 90's because I never listen to that epoch.

My impression is a great He's Gone...and during the jam segment I hear two distinct overtones. 1) the first part of "Jam" sounds awfully similar to Smokestack Lightnin'. He's Gone > Smokestack Lightnin' occured several times in the 80's and 90's, and is a common motif (check this out). Smokestack lightnin' was often intertwined with Spoonful and Dead and Co recreated that as well.

But then the second half of Jam really explodes and I think they want to go into The Other One. But they don't. They go into Drums instead. Fascinating! Perhaps they just played it two shows prior on 6/24/1990. Who knows.

What a gem!! It's awesome!

@Birdstrike
This is a must listen. An interview done a few weeks ago by John Mayer. It's about 2 hours long, so buckle up. Fascinating. I wish I could listen to 20 hours of them talking about the music. (I'm only about 45 minutes into it.)

Reactions: 1 user
@Birdstrike
This is a must listen. An interview done a few weeks ago by John Mayer. It's about 2 hours long, so buckle up. Fascinating. I wish I could listen to 20 hours of them talking about the music. (I'm only about 45 minutes into it.)

I listened to it. Very cool!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I did too. I can’t remember if it was 2 hours long, but it was great. “If I could play like Jerry I would!!!” he said.
Mayer is good in D&C. I just wish the band would play faster. But I know they're older, and can't. The slower tempo takes some getting used to, though. I to listen to the Dead 100 to 1, more than Dead and Co., but one of these days I'll have to commit to giving them more of a listen. A great band of musicians, in their own way.

I had tickets to see them in 2020, but COVID messed that up.

There are a lot of Jack Straws that I love from the '70s. But damnit, this one from '87 is absolute fire (7/24/87, View From the Vault IV).

Bombastic, flame-throwin', kick you in the teeth, Stadium Rock Jack Straw:

@thegenius @WilcoWorld

Oh this is the whole show! Ok I'll watch it. looks good. This show is post diabetic coma. So probably good.

I wonder what Jerry's Bicarb and pH were when he was in DKA. What was his mental status?

THAT IS A ROCKIN JACK STRAW.
Wow.

Very impressed. That ending solo before the refrain is just off the charts. I mean are they all high on coke? YES!!! (I doubt it actually. maybe brent was.)

I wish things were better in my life right now for me to really enjoy this. I mean I like it...but just not the right mileu.

What is this song about anyway? A bunch of cowboy gangstas or outlaws?

THAT IS A ROCKIN JACK STRAW.
Wow.

Very impressed. That ending solo before the refrain is just off the charts. I mean are they all high on coke? YES!!! (I doubt it actually. maybe brent was.)

I wish things were better in my life right now for me to really enjoy this. I mean I like it...but just not the right mileu.

What is this song about anyway? A bunch of cowboy gangstas or outlaws?
Yes, a song about cowboy gangstas. Kind of like the song version of Yellowstone (great show, btw).

I’m sorry things aren’t better in your life right now. It’ll get better. It always does.

Jerry would've turned 80 this coming Monday. Celebrate with a nice "Bertha" perhaps.

Check out this hidden jam stretching out of Wharf Rat (mislabeled as "Drums") and leading into Goin' Down The Road, from 8/2/76. There's one in the second half of Might As Well, too. '76 has a bunch of this stuff that I need to check out, asap.

This Dark Star is nuts.

8/3/69
Yea i think that is a famous one? if it's the one I'm thinking about it's at the Family Dog on the Great Highway in San Francisco, specifically ocean beach. There used to be a lot of stuff to do there, but most of it is now gone or in ruins. It was like a big amusement park of sorts. One of those Dark Stars (they played there several times) is just off the charts and I think in the top 5-10 of all timers.

Yea i think that is a famous one? if it's the one I'm thinking about it's at the Family Dog on the Great Highway in San Francisco, specifically ocean beach. There used to be a lot of stuff to do there, but most of it is now gone or in ruins. It was like a big amusement park of sorts. One of those Dark Stars (they played there several times) is just off the charts and I think in the top 5-10 of all timers.
Yeah. It’s a cool one with the violinist and sax player no one can figure out who they are. Way better than the Marsalis shows. .

Oh what I was thinking of was 11/2/69 Family Dog
Dark Star >
St. Stephen >
The Eleven >
Death Don't Have No Mercy

Is that not a dope way to end a set? 1 hr of special

Oh what I was thinking of was 11/2/69 Family Dog
Dark Star >
St. Stephen >
The Eleven >
Death Don't Have No Mercy

Is that not a dope way to end a set? 1 hr of special
Incredible.

Phil, still getting it done at 82!

Phil & Friends, 7/9/22

Word cannot describe 8/6/74 Eyes of the World

27 years ago, today.

RIP Jerry

8/1/42-8/9/95

1660074959320.jpeg

• Sad
I put on 8/14/71 Berkeley today and...wow.

This show really surprised me in a great way. The recording is phenomenal. Jerry, Phil, Bobby, all crystal clear. It's quintessential Dead.

Highlights:

The Other One with an excellent, free-form, not-to-be-ignored jam in the middle, back to The Other One.

Hard to Handle, for the Bobby solo in your right ear from 3:00-4:02 until Jerry takes over with a BLISTERING rebuke 4:02 forward!

Just a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL Brokedown Palace.

Everything else is just spot on, hitcha in the chest '71 Dead.

Last edited:
50th Anniversary of Venetia ‘72

I love the Veneta '72 show. I don't get into picking best-evers. But when I want a great Dead show from that era, that's not from Europe, I know if I put this one on it's going to be a great listen. That combined with the fact that it has the classic video to go with it, makes it special, to me.

I am a runner and Veneta is going to be playing when I do my long run today.

Sometimes, it's great to be alive.

My take on veneta. It's a great recording...and a great show overall. And I love the accessory video with it as well. The highlights for me are Jack Straw, Bird Song, PITB, Sugar Mags.

However...I do not think Dark Star lives up to the billing as the top 2-3 of all time. It's not even in the top 25. It's just a regular old Dark Star. Nothing special.

My take on veneta. It's a great recording...and a great show overall. And I love the accessory video with it as well. The highlights for me are Jack Straw, Bird Song, PITB, Sugar Mags.

However...I do not think Dark Star lives up to the billing as the top 2-3 of all time. It's not even in the top 25. It's just a regular old Dark Star. Nothing special.
That Dark Stark is unique in how menacing it is. Can’t say it’s top 25, though.

What part is menacing though? The last 1-2 minutes? It's a 31 min DS and I think it's rather kind of blah, TBH
What are your thoughts on the Dark Star from Dave's Picks 43, 11/2/69 at Family Dog?

This one has a lot to unpack.

There is great analysis on the Veneta show from the "Good Ol' Grateful DeadCast", a podcast that can be found on Apple (and probably other places too I don't know).

There are two parts to Veneta. I listened to the second part while driving around the other day. The descriptions do get a little fluffy and obtuse (e.g. "this is the best incandescent, psychedelic version they have ever played!"). Their non-stop effusive praise of the show gets tiresome after awhile.

Nevertheless, there is great insight and little stories about the venue and concert. You get to hear about band, the crowd, the logistical problems they had, and a great 20 mins on the naked pole guy. I used to think he was a real estate agent in FL, but apparently he stayed in Oregon and really fell off the wagon from all the drug use and he got real beat up.

There are some funny stories too. Someone got a water truck to come by. The door latch on the water truck opened up and all the water spilled out on the ground...and out with the flowing water came a naked hippie!

Definitely worth a listen sometime.

• Haha
What are your thoughts on the Dark Star from Dave's Picks 43, 11/2/69 at Family Dog?

This one has a lot to unpack.

Very famous Dark Star. I rarely listen to it though. From what I remember there are two distinct thematic jams in it...one is a Feelin' Groovy Jam and I can't remember the other one. I remember it seems like the band just "stops" playing and goes directly into the second jam.

I need to circle back to this one and give it my full attention.

@Birdstrike I presume you have visited Grateful Dead Guide? (http:// deadessays . blogspot . com)
God bless the person who wrote that blog. May he ascend to heaven and be somewhere at or near the table with God and Jesus. There is so much info on this website you can't get through it all.

@Birdstrike I presume you have visited Grateful Dead Guide? (http:// deadessays . blogspot . com)
God bless the person who wrote that blog. May he ascend to heaven and be somewhere at or near the table with God and Jesus. There is so much info on this website you can't get through it all.
Yes. That website is incredible. Has a good article on the jams in the 11/2/69 dark star and every other Dead jam you can imagine.

And yes, I’m aware of Good Ol Grateful Dead podcast although I haven’t listened in a while. I hadn’t gotten to the show episode on Vaneta yet, so I’ll have to give that one a listen.

I like the 10/10/82 Palo Alto show. Great version of Satisfaction and several other Bobby tunes. Nice Jerry tunes, too, China>Rider, Baby Blue and Touch of Grey.

This is some g o o o d sheyot

Ain't No Woman (Like The One I Got)

8/11/74 Keystone Berkeley

[IMG]

Headphones on, just vibing to this, hardcore. Lovin’ life