For you Dead Fans out there...

Started by thegenius
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last ever Stella Blue. Unreal. So subtle, so good. Just magical.
I had never noticed this song until today. Whoa.

Also, 03/21/94

and 10/12/78. (Honorable mention due to face-melting solo)

Also, the studio version from Wake of the Flood is incredible.

But this song, unlike most of the other Dead songs, sounds so much better with his older voice. Ragged, torn, pained.

Perfection.
 
Last edited:
He does have a vulnerable sounding voice, doesn't he. He's not the greatest singer but I like his voice.

Out of his ballads I put Stella Blue somewhere in the middle. I prefer Peggy-0, Brokedown Palace, and Wharf Rat (not sure if wharf rat is really a ballad)
 
Here Comes Sunshine, too. I never noticed this song. So subtle. Great, great stuff. A forgotten Dead song, apparently, but a true gem.
02/23/74
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
He does have a vulnerable sounding voice, doesn't he. He's not the greatest singer but I like his voice.

Out of his ballads I put Stella Blue somewhere in the middle. I prefer Peggy-0, Brokedown Palace, and Wharf Rat (not sure if wharf rat is really a ballad)
I love Wharf Rat. It's one of my favorite Dead songs. But yeah, I consider it more of a slow jam, than a slow ballad. I suppose it's slow enough to be a ballad, and you wouldn't be wrong to call it that, but comes off more like a story as opposed to a sad ballad to me. Splitting hairs. Great, either way!
 
Here Comes Sunshine, too. I never noticed this song. So subtle. Great, great stuff. A forgotten Dead song, apparently, but a true gem.
02/23/74

Yea I don't know what to make of that song. I don't particularly enjoy it for some reason. But there are people who just think it's the cat's meow. People go nuts over the late 73 versions, they say 12/19/73 is the best. There is an extended one in 73, I think it's 4/2/73. Lemme check

Yea 4/2/73...it lasts over 20 minutes and gets very spacey at the end.
 
Wharf Rat is perfect. I've walked in downtown San Francisco, very early like 6:00 AM when all the piers have fog over them. It just smells like Wharf Rat, know what I mean?
Yes, I can imagine. I haven't been there in decades, but I can imagine. I used to listen to Wharf Rat (Skull And Roses version) when I would run along the waterfront in NYC. That always made me think to play this song, because there literal wharf rats there. Lol

The rats in NYC are special. They divide their time between the waterfront and the subway tunnels when they're hungry. They'll literally take a pizza slice onto the train and just sit back and chill, eating in front of you all rude, without even sharing, like this one.
 
1974 PITBs are the best.

I'm listening to a show that most people don't often listen to...or often don't comment on. 6/22/74. Maybe because it's a day before the monster 6/23/74 which always makes me wonder why it was never released. The 6/23 Spanish Jam > US Blues segment is better than 75% of all the music ever made in the history of this planet. Anyway I digress.

The PITB from 6/22 is varied, exploratory, jammy, plummy, groovy, spacey, movey, dippy, ippy, it goes left, right, and also changes directions when it's going straight. It's meltdown-ish, full of happiness, all over a span of 28 minutes. Nobody ever really talks about it. I haven't listened to it in 5+ years.

I mean what are we doing in this world if not meant to listen to 6/22 PITB.

Do I just go to work everyday.

Eat avocadoes. Drink a little beer?

Raise Kids?

We are all meant to turn up 6/22 PITB and play it loud and do a little shakey dance. And realize that this music makes our world better.
 
Had a 6 hour car ride today after dropping our kids off at camp. On the way there I out on some random ‘90s Dead show and the results were terrible, ie, “This is terrible, turn it off immediately!” Lol

So on this leg of the trip I figured I’d have to pull out the good stuff. Put on 5/8/77, thinking if she’s not feeling that, it just ain’t meant to be. Not a complaint during all 2 hr and 42 minutes.
 
Well.....as far as Dews go it’s great. I have such a hard time listening to Dew. It’s so intense, so heavy, so emotional. It’s an emotionally draining experience. I honestly skip it often. 5/22 good, 5/8 def good. The deed get faster as the years pass
 
Hey @Birdstrike, would you be willing to vote on a few other matches in that tournament you signed up for the other day at hoffman.tv? the meltdown tournament? I think you only did the AW bracket. If you're busy that's cool. If you have time to do just a few, we have three ties that need the tie broken. If you have time to do all of them that's OK...but your vote will only affect the results on the ties given the way it played out.

Here's the link. meltdown tourney
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey @Birdstrike, would you be willing to vote on a few other matches in that tournament you signed up for the other day at hoffman.tv? the meltdown tournament? I think you only did the AW bracket. If you're busy that's cool. If you have time to do just a few, we have three ties that need the tie broken. If you have time to do all of them that's OK...but your vote will only affect the results on the ties given the way it played out.

Here's the link. meltdown tourney
Just saw this. Sorry man. Bad week and couldn’t get to it.

I see you had someone break the ties. My bad
 
No worries buddy. Round 2 is underway.

And I made links to the melts themselves. So you can easily access the 3-4 min snippets while driving to/from work, for instance. Much easier.

I want you to play the meltdown from 11/13/72 while you're doing a procedure. You'll be like "AAAHHHHHHHAHAAHH AHHHHH!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! while injecting marcaine for an intercostal nerve block...and your patient will be like "AHAHAHAHAH AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!" and everybody in the room will just go crazy because the boy are play the meltdown of all meltodowns!!!!!!

Meltdown tourney

Come on by
 
No worries buddy. Round 2 is underway.

And I made links to the melts themselves. So you can easily access the 3-4 min snippets while driving to/from work, for instance. Much easier.

I want you to play the meltdown from 11/13/72 while you're doing a procedure. You'll be like "AAAHHHHHHHAHAAHH AHHHHH!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! while injecting marcaine for an intercostal nerve block...and your patient will be like "AHAHAHAHAH AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!" and everybody in the room will just go crazy because the boy are play the meltdown of all meltodowns!!!!!!

Meltdown tourney

Come on by
Haha. Thanks. Just got done listening to the 11/13/72 DS meltdown and it is great. It's got one of my highest ratings so far. I'll get on over there and post my round 2. Thanks!
 
Quick non-Dead detour for a minute...

Some current bands worth checking out. Pleasantly surprised at how good these current bands are. Worth checking out:

Parquet Courts - Wide Awake
Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think and Sometimes I Just Sit
Kurt Vile - Walking On A Pretty Daze
 
Last edited:
I'll see if I can check those out. I'm so busy these days I can't even enjoy the Dead. Plus my who desk / music thing changed in my home and I'm having a much harder time listening to my tunes while I do work (or anything else).
 
I saw JRAD last night (Joe Russo's Almost Dead) at the outdoor pavilion at Stanford. Lemme tell ya they play with some tempo. None of this slow s&^t like Dead and Co. Dead and Co play like they are 75 years old. These guys know how to bring it. Joe Russo (the drummer) is a madman on the drums. If they are in your area I think they are worth seeing!
 
I saw JRAD last night (Joe Russo's Almost Dead) at the outdoor pavilion at Stanford. Lemme tell ya they play with some tempo. None of this slow s&^t like Dead and Co. Dead and Co play like they are 75 years old. These guys know how to bring it. Joe Russo (the drummer) is a madman on the drums. If they are in your area I think they are worth seeing!
Nice! Would love to check them out if they come around my town.
 
Ha! The first and second set are on YouTube. How about that. Here is the link to the JRAD Set 2. Birdstrike, I remember you like Jack Straw? The first set they play a sweet version of it! I thought the first set > second set.
They had a guest performer play all sorts of wind instruments. Sax, Oboe/Bassinet, Flute, and perhaps others. Much easier to hear it in the video than live.
 
Oh man what a HOT Cumberland Blues last night. I'm listening to it now. It was great live, it is spectacular a second time around:
Cumberland Blues - Cued Up
I timestamped it to near the end of the jam. Man it is power! Dead and Co don't do this kind of thing. Just listen to it for about a minute. You'll see what I mean!
 
Oh man what a HOT Cumberland Blues last night. I'm listening to it now. It was great live, it is spectacular a second time around:
Cumberland Blues - Cued Up
I timestamped it to near the end of the jam. Man it is power! Dead and Co don't do this kind of thing. Just listen to it for about a minute. You'll see what I mean!
Ah, yeah man. That's good stuff. I'll definitely check them out if they come by me.
 
Does anyone here have any cool dead merch? I have a tshirt I got during my first vacation to Colorado. It was a ski trip in high school and I feel in love with this Jerry Bear shirt.
 
Wearing this right now, actually
1566600251706.jpeg
 
Quite possibly the best year. I may need to get one of those. About half my T-shirt’s are dead merch. I’ve got a few posters from their recent tours. I also have this cool glass light up thing...lemme see if I can find it...

My brief search I couldn’t find it. Anyway it was a nice gift. One of those things that you would never buy for yourself, but like as a gift.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I love to listen to the popular years of course, but I also love taking a stab into random shows from random years. Right now I'm listening to 08/25/93 and I'm enjoying it. "Off peak" Dead is better than 99.9% of bands on their best day and sometimes you find a forgotten, lost gem.
 
...and yes, the ‘72 show from today is sublime.

Listen 08/25/72

That is Dave's Picks 24. It's one of the few shows where the public circulation is not the same as the private release. On the archive the show is cutoff during TOO. All of those TOO versions are 16 mins, but if you get Dave's Picks 24 you get the full Other One version at like 28 minutes or something. And it's just sick. It's 20 times better than what's circulating. There is lots of good things with that show. Like opening with Cold Rain and Snow. You know it's going to be a good evening when they open with that. A great Bird Song. And for all you Stella Blue lovers out there, this is one of the first versions and they play it a little differently and in a good way.
 
That is Dave's Picks 24. It's one of the few shows where the public circulation is not the same as the private release. On the archive the show is cutoff during TOO. All of those TOO versions are 16 mins, but if you get Dave's Picks 24 you get the full Other One version at like 28 minutes or something. And it's just sick. It's 20 times better than what's circulating. There is lots of good things with that show. Like opening with Cold Rain and Snow. You know it's going to be a good evening when they open with that. A great Bird Song. And for all you Stella Blue lovers out there, this is one of the first versions and they play it a little differently and in a good way.
Yes! Thank you.

Man, I just found a gem. A real gem:

Rain (song 18) 12/12/92. It’s stuff like this that makes life worth living. Wish I coulda been there!
 
Last edited:
What really sucks is my new environment for listening to the Dead. I used to have my own room / study. I would often close the door and blast the speakers. Now I got KICKED OUT of my study because my two boys wanted their own rooms. Such a travesty. Now my computer is in the kitchen. It's ridiculous!!! I can't listen to anything without my wife saying "TURN IT DOWN"

Now my GD time is severely limited. Driving to/from work would be nice. But I usually listen to my sports podcasts or ER podcasts so I can stay UTD with all the new shjit.
 
Hmm...that 1974 show kind of sounds like it's from Winterland Arena October 1974. I used to love playing the game "Play that song" and I would try the name and year played, and sometimes depending on how on I was, I would even get the month.
 
What really sucks is my new environment for listening to the Dead. I used to have my own room / study. I would often close the door and blast the speakers. Now I got KICKED OUT of my study because my two boys wanted their own rooms. Such a travesty. Now my computer is in the kitchen. It's ridiculous!!! I can't listen to anything without my wife saying "TURN IT DOWN"
Fixed

 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This might be the baddest azz thing on the internet: Pig on vocals, rare fire Bob Weir lead solo followed by searing Garcia shredding. Hook up to your best deep bass headphones or your booming stereo system and turn up to 11.

Easy Wind, 08/30/70 live
 
Oh my Gawd... :wideyed: the Dark Star from 11/11/73... No words

cc @thegenius

I know that one like the back of my hand. Pre verse is nothing special....post verse is simply spectacular. You’ve got the Phil / Jerry quiet stuff around 18:00......then they go into a Mind Left Body Jam at the end. Probably my favorite of all time. Into Eyes no less! When Jerry starts of the MLB Jam, it sounds like airplanes are flying overhead. It’s remarkable.

People who rate these things generally put that in the top 5, def top 10 of all time and call it a “thinking mans Dark Star.”

What source did you listen to? That run from 11/9 thru 11/11 1973 was officially released and the quality is 100% exceptional. As far as how good those shows are in relation to the other 1973 ones...I think they are above average but not spectacular. But that Dark Star is just off the charts good.

How did you stumble upon it?