For you Dead Fans out there...

Started by thegenius
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that one like the back of my hand. Pre verse is nothing special....post verse is simply spectacular. You’ve got the Phil / Jerry quiet stuff around 18:00......then they go into a Mind Left Body Jam at the end. Probably my favorite of all time. Into Eyes no less! When Jerry starts of the MLB Jam, it sounds like airplanes are flying overhead. It’s remarkable.

People who rate these things generally put that in the top 5, def top 10 of all time and call it a “thinking mans Dark Star.”

What source did you listen to? That run from 11/9 thru 11/11 1973 was officially released and the quality is 100% exceptional. As far as how good those shows are in relation to the other 1973 ones...I think they are above average but not spectacular. But that Dark Star is just off the charts good.

How did you stumble upon it?
I've been making a habit of checking gratefuldeadoftheday.com every day. Then I find a soundboard or matrix for their recommended show for that day on Relisten and listen to it while I'm out for my morning run. That gives me anywhere from 30-120 minutes per day of uninterrupted listening time every day. Then if I get through the day's show, I try to check out some of the other shows from that day in history. 11/11/73 is their selection from today which I played on my run today. I pre-listened to the Dark Star last night while I was hangin' out, relaxing, because the reviews said it was that good.

The reason I like the idea of checking for the best shows on given a day in history is that it forces me out of getting stuck in one era, or one year. I've found some amazing shows and songs in unexpected time and places that way. Like yesterday, 11/10/67 was a great show, well worth listening to, that I don't think I would have been likely to find or listen to, if I let myself get stuck in the conventional wisdom.
 
Last edited:
The reason I like the idea of checking for the best shows on given a day in history is that it forces me out of getting stuck in one era, or one year. I've found some amazing shows and songs in unexpected time and places that way. Like yesterday, 11/10/67 was a great show, well worth listening to, that I don't think I would have been likely to find or listen to, if I let myself get stuck in the conventional wisdom.

Yea man, it's for that reason why I'm starting to listen to things on shuffle because it forces me to listen to songs from eras I don't normally do. Been doing that for a few months now. Although admittedly my listening frequency has gone down some recently.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Current favorite covers of Dead songs:

Courtney Barnett- New Speedway Boogie

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks- China Cat>Rider

The National, Daniel Rosen, Christopher Bear- Terrapin Station

56 others on the album, some not too bad.



cc: @thegenius

I like the "Touch of Grey" & "Candyman" versions on there quite a bit. Also, gotta love that they had multiple "Darkstar" versions...even if they were all garbage covers.
 
I like the "Touch of Grey" & "Candyman" versions on there quite a bit. Also, gotta love that they had multiple "Darkstar" versions...even if they were all garbage covers.
Yeah. Some of the covers are their are cool, but some ... not so much. The weaker ones do make me appreciate the originals more, though. I think my favorite cover of a Dead song of all time is still by Jane's Addiction: Ripple. If you know the original, the cover is just mind-blowingly nuts (Album: Deadicated). Even Robert Hunter has said it blew him away.
 
Wondering what you guys (@WilcoWorld @thegenius) think of Jerry Garcia Band stuff?

It's definitely different than the Dead, but I like some of it. It's growing on me a little bit.
 
Wondering what you guys (@WilcoWorld @thegenius) think of Jerry Garcia Band stuff?

It's definitely different than the Dead, but I like some of it. It's growing on me a little bit.

Haven't actually listened to any of the bootlegs, but the studio album Cats Under the Stars is solid.

Another side project that I like even better is the Jerry Garcia / David Grisman bluegrass/folk album. When I discovered that record I listened to it on repeat for long enough to drive my friends nuts.
 
The Dead’s unfinished album was released yesterday. Faves: Lazy River Road, Standing On The Moon and Days Between. Can never get enough of the Grateful Dead.

“Ready Or Not (Live)”
 
Haven't actually listened to any of the bootlegs, but the studio album Cats Under the Stars is solid.

Another side project that I like even better is the Jerry Garcia / David Grisman bluegrass/folk album. When I discovered that record I listened to it on repeat for long enough to drive my friends nuts.

I've heard some of the JGB stuff, and I think it's OK but not really my cup of tea. I will listen to it if it's on but I don't go out of my way trying to find their material.

I've got pretty narrow listening tastes. probably to my detriment but I like what I like, ya know?
 
I've heard some of the JGB stuff, and I think it's OK but not really my cup of tea. I will listen to it if it's on but I don't go out of my way trying to find their material.

I've got pretty narrow listening tastes. probably to my detriment but I like what I like, ya know?
Much as some may try, you just can't force enjoyment.
 
There is a neat series of videos on youtube called “Songs of Their Own.” My two favorites from that series are the New Mastersounds playing Help on the Way, and strangefolk playing Althea. There are a couple of other neat ones, as well. Thought I’d mention it since you guys were talking covers.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As far as non-Dead (unDead?) Jerry projects, I’ll always love his shows with John Kahn the most. Just Jerry on guitar and John on upright bass. Favorite is at Oregon State Prison, with the highlights being Run for the Roses and Reuben and Cherise. Love Old & in the Way, too. So neat to hear him play banjo.
 
The best one out of that Songs Of Their Own is Holly Bowling playing Eyes Of The World



In fact...you should probably listen to the Eyes she modeled it after first from 6/18/74 Freedom Hall, Louisville, KY



(click on Eyes Of the World)



This is mandatory listening. This belongs on the VOYAGER 2 disc of music flown deep into the Milky Way Galaxy
 
As far as non-Dead (unDead?) Jerry projects, I’ll always love his shows with John Kahn the most. Just Jerry on guitar and John on upright bass. Favorite is at Oregon State Prison, with the highlights being Run for the Roses and Reuben and Cherise. Love Old & in the Way, too. So neat to hear him play banjo.
Haven't come across this one. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
 
The best one out of that Songs Of Their Own is Holly Bowling playing Eyes Of The World



In fact...you should probably listen to the Eyes she modeled it after first from 6/18/74 Freedom Hall, Louisville, KY



(click on Eyes Of the World)



This is mandatory listening. This belongs on the VOYAGER 2 disc of music flown deep into the Milky Way Galaxy

Oh, yeah, man. Just listened to this on lunch. Great, great stuff. What a mind, to be able to translate a complex, improvised live performance like that and pull it off. So cool. I'll make sure to check out the whole thing. Thanks for the great excuse to put on the original 8/18/74 Eyes of the World (Road Trips Vol 3, #2, version). It's just brilliant to listen to a band where all the members are simultaneously soloing and ... it just works. Beautiful and inspiring.

Bird strike, put the Holly Bowling stuff on in the background while you are doing procedures. Your patients will be very calm.
Great idea.

By the way, how's her band Ghost Light, with the JRAD guitarist?
 
Last edited:
I dunno I haven't heard it!

ON my drive home today from a horrendous shift, including mopping up after some bad care by the PA I was working with, I listened to 9/21/72 Dark Star and then 2/18/71 Dark Star the second verse. The first, which is a Dick Pick's release, is ordinary to good for the first 20+ minutes, but the last 6-8 minutes and especially the last few minutes are simply fantastic as they are jamming and come together from nowhere to put together a beautiful melody. General people don't realize how difficult that is. These guys practiced over and over and played hundreds of concerts in the beginning years, and practiced yet again. That's all they did. Practice. Practice! And while they come up with generally memorable music, it's rare they come together and meld into doing BEAUTIFUL music. I mean it's always beautiful, but at times they come up with exceptionally beauticious beautiful. Like the woman walking down the street and you just can't keep your eyes off her, no matter what. When she passes you you turn your head and keep on watching her and think to yourself "man she is just perfect. What am I missing." And you can have a hot wife or girlfriend and still think that. It's that kind of beautiful.

Speaking of beautiful music, the second part of DS on 2/18/71 is the most beautiful of beautifuls. Someone played it for Phil Lesh decades after they played it, well after Jerry died, and per report he started crying it was so beautiful. You know....I can't describe it. As I listen to it, I wonder what was Jerry doing to make him come up with THAT, on THAT DAY? It was in Ohio for ****'s sake. What the hell is in Ohio that is special? One might argue the Buckeyes but I can't stand the Buckeyes I want all their athletes to be stricken with Becker's muscular dystrophy all at once. It is phenomenal. It's like he had the right weed at the right time. It's sentimental, it's just good. Lasts about 6 minutes.
 
I dunno I haven't heard it!

ON my drive home today from a horrendous shift, including mopping up after some bad care by the PA I was working with, I listened to 9/21/72 Dark Star and then 2/18/71 Dark Star the second verse. The first, which is a Dick Pick's release, is ordinary to good for the first 20+ minutes, but the last 6-8 minutes and especially the last few minutes are simply fantastic as they are jamming and come together from nowhere to put together a beautiful melody. General people don't realize how difficult that is. These guys practiced over and over and played hundreds of concerts in the beginning years, and practiced yet again. That's all they did. Practice. Practice! And while they come up with generally memorable music, it's rare they come together and meld into doing BEAUTIFUL music. I mean it's always beautiful, but at times they come up with exceptionally beauticious beautiful. Like the woman walking down the street and you just can't keep your eyes off her, no matter what. When she passes you you turn your head and keep on watching her and think to yourself "man she is just perfect. What am I missing." And you can have a hot wife or girlfriend and still think that. It's that kind of beautiful.

Speaking of beautiful music, the second part of DS on 2/18/71 is the most beautiful of beautifuls. Someone played it for Phil Lesh decades after they played it, well after Jerry died, and per report he started crying it was so beautiful. You know....I can't describe it. As I listen to it, I wonder what was Jerry doing to make him come up with THAT, on THAT DAY? It was in Ohio for ****'s sake. What the hell is in Ohio that is special? One might argue the Buckeyes but I can't stand the Buckeyes I want all their athletes to be stricken with Becker's muscular dystrophy all at once. It is phenomenal. It's like he had the right weed at the right time. It's sentimental, it's just good. Lasts about 6 minutes.
Amen
 
Amazing show. Pigpen and Keith G on stage. Millennials, open your mind and check it out. Commit. Just put it on, mellow out and listen to the free-form, polyphonic sound of bass, drums, keyboards and two guitars all soloing and improving at the same time:

12/10/71
 
Just found the coolest thing. A soundboard of only Bob Weir's guitar isolated. So cool, so unique and so unlike any other rhythm player I've ever. Many rhythm players, play exactly what the lead player is playing so that when the lead solos, you can still hear the same rhythm chords. Not Bobby!

As a guitar player myself, it's super impressive, how rather than playing his guitar for chordal attention, seeking to battle for attention from the lead player, he's playing entirely different fills and chord voicings. Just fabulous, and stealthly-mystical. So bizarre, so unique, you can't even tell what song he's playing most of the time, but it works. Brilliant. I have even greater respect for Bob Weir now. As a player, try listening to a live dead song and try to pick out what Weir is playing and copy it. You can't. It's like the rest of the band is painting a portrait and Weir is splashing a little color here, a little there, up there and over here, so perfectly, and beautifully without ever being noticed. These guys were born to make music together and the band would never have been the same without him.

 
Last edited:
Just found the coolest thing. A soundboard of only Bob Weir's guitar isolated. So cool, so unique and so unlike any other rhythm player I've ever. Many rhythm players, play exactly what the lead player is playing so that when the lead solos, you can still hear the same rhythm chords. Not Bobby!

As a guitar player myself, it's super impressive, how rather than playing his guitar for chordal attention, seeking to battle for attention from the lead player, he's playing entirely different fills and chord voicings. Just fabulous, and stealthly-mystical. So bizarre, so unique, you can't even tell what song he's playing most of the time, but it works. Brilliant. I have even greater respect for Bob Weir now. As a player, try listening to a live dead song and try to pick out what Weir is playing and copy it. You can't. It's like the rest of the band is painting a portrait and Weir is splashing a little color here, a little there, up there and over here, so perfectly, and beautifully without ever being noticed. These guys were born to make music together and the band would never have been the same without him.



Oh man I'm listening to this now. I'll get back later. Very interesting.

We need one of these of just Jerry. or just Phil
 
Well saw the 12/30/19 Dead and Co Show as a Christmas present. Had a good time. Of course, they started off with a slow Shakedown Street. Imagine that! Played a HOT Cumberland blues, second set was pretty good with St. Stephen > The Eleven.

The NYE show (which I didn't go to) looked fabulous! Did you see that setlist? 24 songs!!!!! Apparently lots of Dead celebrities (Wavy Gravy, Garcia's daughter Mountain Girl, others) were in attendance on stage.

Dead and Co NYE 2019 Setlist
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well saw the 12/30/19 Dead and Co Show as a Christmas present. Had a good time. Of course, they started off with a slow Shakedown Street. Imagine that! Played a HOT Cumberland blues, second set was pretty good with St. Stephen > The Eleven.

The NYE show (which I didn't go to) looked fabulous! Did you see that setlist? 24 songs!!!!! Apparently lots of Dead celebrities (Wavy Gravy, Garcia's daughter Mountain Girl, others) were in attendance on stage.

Dead and Co NYE 2019 Setlist
Awesome, dude! Great Christmas present! I did not check out the NYE show, but I will. Agree, phenomenal setlist. I hope they come around me. I'll see them in a heartbeat.

Real nice show from today, 1/3/70. Great Alligator>Jam
 
Just posting to say we don't have enough LESH LOVE on here. I was singing "Operator" to myself the whole way to work this morning.

Phil is like the ER Doc of The Dead - always there, always workin', totally steady, maybe a little bit goofy, but not eccentric like Mickey Hart (or the Cardiologists) and for those reasons...almost completely ignored.
 
Just posting to say we don't have enough LESH LOVE on here. I was singing "Operator" to myself the whole way to work this morning.

Phil is like the ER Doc of The Dead - always there, always workin', totally steady, maybe a little bit goofy, but not eccentric like Mickey Hart (or the Cardiologists) and for those reasons...almost completely ignored.
I think Phil Lesh is great. I play guitar but I was thinking of getting a bass lately, entirely because of all the Dead I've been listening to and how much I'm learning to love how he plays. He's completely changed my view of the instrument. My favorite sound boards on Archive are the ones where they've got Phil's bass turned way up. It's just a treat to hear. I've love how he's literally soloing within scales, in key, while keeping the rhythm at the same time, and doing it differently every song. It's glorious to hear, and hypnotizing, compared to typical rock bass which is the same clinical, robotic notes repeated ad infinitum. Read the comments below the Dead shows on Archive.com. In many of them, people love commenting on Phil and his great bass playing, when he "drops bombs" in the middle of a song and so on. Also, listen to how berserk the crowds go on those rare occasions he takes the mic.

P.S. Phil is great and Pigpen awesome as Hell, too. >> Check out Pigpen on the mic on Easy Wind, Alligator or Lovelight. B a d a s s.
 
Last edited:
Just posting to say we don't have enough LESH LOVE on here. I was singing "Operator" to myself the whole way to work this morning.

Phil is like the ER Doc of The Dead - always there, always workin', totally steady, maybe a little bit goofy, but not eccentric like Mickey Hart (or the Cardiologists) and for those reasons...almost completely ignored.

I agree with a lot of that...but I don't think he's ignored. He's probably second most beloved dude in the band.

He just had back surgery and is now back playing music again. I went to Terrapin Crossroads (his restaurant) twice the past few weeks and didn't see him. But I hear he is back.
 
Great show from today in 1978.

Highlights: Looks Like Rain, Let It Grow, Terrapin, Playin'>Jam>St.Stephen (fire!) and Sunrise (yes, I like Donna! Lol)
 
Btw, if you haven’t checked out Road Trips Vol 1, No 2, check it out guys. I’m listening to it now and it’s super tasty. Everyone is so on, it’s scary.

Also, new bands to check out: Sheer Mag & Cloud Nothings.

Is that 1977? That road trips you write about? I’ve got them all on my hard drive, but I don’t remember the year. I’m gonna look it up....
 
Is that 1977? That road trips you write about? I’ve got them all on my hard drive, but I don’t remember the year. I’m gonna look it up....

Yea 1977. You know I’m a huge lover of 1977. That is, pre (and including 9/3/77) October and November. Something happened to the sound...they were playing faster....Keith started to use a new style keyboard...they just don’t sound the same. I don’t know if it was recording equipment change or what. But I rarely listen to that time period. Funny because lots of people swear by the winter 77 run.
 
Went for a 2 hour run today and decided to go in hard on the Dead's studio albums. Listened to American Beauty, Workingman's Dead, Wake of the Flood, Anthem of the Sun and Aoxamoa, in that order. As much as we focus on Dead's live existence, which is phenomenal, I still think they did some great work in the studio. I know Jerry said, "We only made one good album," referring to Wake of the Flood, I think. But I respectfully disagree. I think the above albums are really, really good, not to mention some great moments on some of their later albums, also. I go to the live stuff first, but I don't think their studio work should be overlooked. There's some pure gold here.

cc: @thegenius
 
Great Dark Star>St. Stephen from this day in 1970. Smokin' dirty guitars on this one. Love it! Jerry shreds on the Mason's Children here, too, probably making it my all time fave for that song. Apparently the rest of this show was thought lost for decades until some roadie's ex-wife found tapes of the whole show which allowed Dave's Picks #6 to be born.

Also from 2/2 in '68 a great Viola Lee Blues, in my opinion, on which Jerry goes nuts. Plus a super rare jazzy, bassy, Lesh/Hunter jam, Clementine (better mix on So Many Roads 1965-1995).

Great stuff!
cc: @thegenius
 
Last edited:
Dead & Company 2020 Summer Tour


  • Friday, July 10 and Saturday, July 11, Folsom Field, Boulder, Colorado
  • Monday, July 13, Hollywood Casino Amphitheater - St. Louis, Maryland Heights, Missouri
  • Wednesday, July 15, Ruoff Home Mortgage Center, Noblesville, Indiana
  • Friday, July 17, Truist Park, Atlanta
  • Saturday, July 18, Coastal Credit Union Music Park at Walnut Creek Amphitheater, Raleigh, North Carolina
  • Monday, July 20, Riverbend Music Center, Cincinnati
  • Wednesday, July 22, DTE Energy Music Theater, Clarkston, Michigan
  • Friday, July 24 and Saturday, July 25, Wrigley Field, Chicago
  • Monday, July 27, Blossom Music Center, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
  • Wednesday, July 29, Herseypark Stadium, Hershey, Pennsylvania
  • Saturday, Aug. 1, MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford
  • Monday, Aug. 3, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, New York
  • Wednesday, Aug. 5, Jiffy Lube Live, Bristow, Virginia
  • Friday, Aug. 7 and Saturday, Aug. 8, Fenway Park, Boston
 
They are such panzies, they never announce shows on the West Coast. We always have to wait until August for them to do so. How annoying! @Birdstrike, are they coming to a town near you?
 
They are such panzies, they never announce shows on the West Coast. We always have to wait until August for them to do so. How annoying! @Birdstrike, are they coming to a town near you?
Yep. Raleigh, NC. I'm registered for the pre-sale and hoping to snap up a couple of tix asap. My wife's actually on board to go, because she likes John Mayer but thinks he doesn't jam on the guitar enough live, so she may actually be pleasantly surprised. I think it'll be a great time. I never got to see the Dead live in any form, so I'll just be happy I will be able to say I saw any original members of the Grateful Dead while alive.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
An interesting rocked-out distortion-heavy cover of China Cat.

A hypnotizing af, jazzy cover of Crazy Fingers. Mesmerizing voice by this Hayley Jane.

And this Easy WInd, by The Record Company, is pretty sick, greasy, down and dirty.

Cool and funky Fire on the Mountain cover, by Jelly Bread.

The whole "Songs of Their Own" series on JamBase's youtube channel has some pretty cool versions on their, worth checking out. All original dead tunes, covered by roots/soul/Americana/blues/rock/funk bands.

Jackie Green's acoustic Sugaree is pretty tasty.



Too many to list.



Songs of Their Own
 
Last edited:
Pretty cool day in Dead history today, 2/11/70. Half way through Dark Star members of Allman Brothers and early Fleetwood Mac (when they sounded more like Cream or Zeppelin) start trickling on stage. It results in a monstrous Dark Star > Spanish Jam > Lovelight jam that thunders on for almost an hour.

Audio:


.
.
.
.
.
Background: Dead of the Day: February 11, 1970