Forced to Take Prerequisite at Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Punished Angeleno

Dental Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, the only prerequisite left for me is physics. I've been planning on taking it at the only local four-year university that allows non-students to enroll in its courses. That's what I put as "planned/in progress" on my AADSAS application. However, it sure looks like the seats will fill up long before my registration appointment. This means I will probably have to take physics at my local community college.

Assuming I do have to enroll in the community college course, should I let each dental school know? Aside from the Massachusetts dental programs, of course. I'll be forced to withdraw the BU/Tufts applications. Also, how badly will this affect my chances of gaining acceptance, even after an interview? All of the other lower and upper division science courses I've taken were completed at the university I graduated from.

Thanks for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a chance to take Microbio at CC, but I decided to take it from my school which costs approx. $2800 for the course (4cr) compared to $300 at cc. The only reason I did this is that I really want to get in this cycle. Taking any courses at CC is cheap, but you never know how they will think. Maybe they might not even care where you took courses especially physics, but I just wanted everything looks good.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a chance to take Microbio at CC, but I decided to take it from my school which costs approx. $2800 for the course (4cr) compared to $300 at cc. The only reason I did this is that I really want to get in this cycle. Taking any courses at CC is cheap, but you never know how they will think. Maybe they might not even care where you took courses especially physics, but I just wanted everything looks good.
I would love to take it at a 4-year university myself but the classes are all full. I don't know what to do. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
So, the only prerequisite left for me is physics. I've been planning on taking it at the only local four-year university that allows non-students to enroll in its courses. That's what I put as "planned/in progress" on my AADSAS application. However, it sure looks like the seats will fill up long before my registration appointment. This means I will probably have to take physics at my local community college.

Assuming I do have to enroll in the community college course, should I let each dental school know? Aside from the Massachusetts dental programs, of course. I'll be forced to withdraw the BU/Tufts applications. Also, how badly will this affect my chances of gaining acceptance, even after an interview? All of the other lower and upper division science courses I've taken were completed at the university I graduated from.

Thanks for the feedback!

I would love to take it at a 4-year university myself but the classes are all full. I don't know what to do. :(

It really makes little difference. Especially if you didn’t have TOO MUCH community college credits. Tbh, plenty of community college courses are harder than university. I would go with the cheape option unless you have over 60 credits of community college credits (associate degree worth).

Reactions: 1 user
I took every single pre-req at a CC besides second semester of physics. Had well over 60 units there as well. Starting school in September, but it depends on which school you want to get into. Some are pickier than others, good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, everyone! I feel a little better about taking it at a CC. Hopefully everything will work out as planned.

Hey folks,
I am also a nontrad student, and wanted to see if I could get some clarification regarding cc credits. It seems like as long as the cc credits are not too excessive, some schools are lenient with the idea of taking core prerequisites there.

What if I received a degree from a university 9 years ago, and are re-taking all of the prerequisites at a cc now? I essentially have 254 completed units from my old degree, and now I am re-taking about 60 units of cc credits (41 completed so far).