Foreign language research + Scribe (gap year)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

br2pi5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I was unable to find a post that asked this same question but I would love to know your opinion regarding my gap year plans. I am still debating whether I should apply this cycle or not (need to retake the MCAT and won't know my score until after I apply), but since I graduated this year I'll minimum be taking one gap year (max 2). From reading past posts, the general consensus is to do something that interests you during your gap year, which is what I plan to do. There are some weak parts on my application that I would like to better (MCAT score, clinical hours other than shadowing, and research) therefore I'm thinking about two things:
-applying to be a scribe to better my clinical hours (most likely part time over 2 years)
-I absolutely love anything languages (I speak English, Spanish, French and learning Portuguese) so I would love to do non-science research in a foreign language

I could do both if I'm part time scribing. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

There may be some other opinions on this, but I also took a gap year before starting school and did similar things (scribed full time until I started getting acceptances, then went and lived in Central America for 3-4 months). I personally think it's a great combo, especially when you can talk passionately about both in secondaries and interviews. They can both potentially help you on your path to becoming a physician :)

Reactions: 1 user
There may be some other opinions on this, but I also took a gap year before starting school and did similar things (scribed full time until I started getting acceptances, then went and lived in Central America for 3-4 months). I personally think it's a great combo, especially when you can talk passionately about both in secondaries and interviews. They can both potentially help you on your path to becoming a physician :)

Thank you!! It's nice to hear someone believes so too! I am very passionate about it and I've started to get in contact with my foreign language professors to see what projects they are working on :)

bump? interested to hear other opinions! ty :)