Foreign Language....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EVN3331

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if it is required or not but I was told Dental Schools like to see two semesters of a foreign language. So, I am taking one semester this year but my problem is there is a time conflict next semester so I will not be able to take the same language. So do you think if it matters if I take a whole different language? Any advice would be grealty appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe so. This is the first time that I've heard of such a thing. I could be wrong, but my stats don't include any foreign laguage course at all and I've been receiving many interviews thus far. Perhaps you should ask the schools that you are interested in to get a more accurate idea on this.

AE

I also don't have any foreign language classes on my transcript and I'm having no trouble whatsoever getting interview invites. I use to be a prehealth advisor and I've never heard of a foreign language requirement for dentistry or medicine. Unless this is something new, in which case you should definitely contact the individual schools about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know for sure that ucsf loves people who speak more than 1 language. They even encourage us to put it on their secondary question, why should you be selected over other candidate?
They really search for people from different background, ethnic because SF patient pool is highly diverse. So, if you truly speak something else other than English, put it down. That's how they screen for interview.
T

tinker bell is very right. The times have changed, this is not a monolingual world anymore and speaking more than one language not only helps you, but also the patients you will see.

I knew the value of languages a long time ago. That is why one of my majors is Asian Languates/Literature...I'm working on my seventh language: Arabic right now.

It is a great way to become diversified. UPENN loved it!! Also, I think people should try to think above and beyond the minumum requirements...

DesiDentist

There are a handful of schools that DO require foreign language experience. When comparing two applicants, foreign language experience is a huge plus!

Beyond the scope of admissions, knowing multiple languages allows you to communicate with a larger group of people, and allows you to truly satisfy a larger patient base.

I would be lost without my language experiences: Laotian, Cambodian, Viet, and Spanish.

So if am not able to take the second semester of the language I am currently taking do you think it would be wise to just take another language? Do you think that dental schools would like one semester of two languages just as much as two semesters of the same language? Remember these are just the basic courses. I hope that makes sense and like I said I am in somewhat of a bind. Thanks a lot.

I am currently in upper-level Spanish courses, but I learned the Asian languages by speaking and living with the people.

Learning in a classroom is vastly different than learning by being immersed in the culture, but both methods DO have their benefits.

Originally posted by Luminous_1
I think taking 2 semesters of one language class is better than taking bunch of different languages classes but if you got no option, then why not take 2 different foreign language classes? Say you are taking it because both languages interest you the most! good luck! :D

Luminous,

I completely agree with you, however I think it is important to understand that you will be of greatest value to schools, patients, and the community if you proficient at some level in a language, not if you have merely dabbled for a semester in several languages.