Foreign Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valentinebella

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The idea of studying medicine abroad is something I've always wanted to do. I would prefer to study at a European, UK, Irish, or Australian medical school. I already have a BS in psychology. Yet, my 3.2 cumulative GPA and 2.9 science GPA doesn't exactly make me a competitive candidate. I have years of volunteer experience in hospitals and extracurriculars.

If anyone has any advice on getting into and attending foreign medical schools such as graduate entry medicine requirements, entrance exams, GPA cutoffs, number of letters of recommendations, etc... I would greatly appreciate it. Much thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You really need to give people more information than just that. Without an MCAT you can't apply to the Australian GEMP programs.
That being said, if you do have an MCAT and have done OK on it and you show an upward trend in your GPA the Australian admission system is pretty forgiving. For instance I have a lower cGPA than you but when I convert to the Australian grading scheme I actually have a competitive application; that's because I was a ***** in first/second year and then decided to actually make use of my tuition money for years 3-5.

I have no comment for the Irish schools because while ABP say that an application with stats such as yours can be competitive, I have yet to see someone in the "stats" threads with lower GPAs. Don't be discouraged though, keep trying :)

Members don't see this ad :)
to OP: Why not Eastern Europe, Asian (East Asian, South Asia) med schools?

Many teach in English, approved by WHO/IMED-FAIMER , most have 50-States approval, and you're very competitive for Asian schools.

Don't need MCAT. Tuition's cheap in local currency. If you do well and ace USMLE, you've good chance matching to U.S. programs.

You wont get into a UK school with those stats.

The idea of studying medicine abroad is something I've always wanted to do. I would prefer to study at a European, UK, Irish, or Australian medical school. I already have a BS in psychology. Yet, my 3.2 cumulative GPA and 2.9 science GPA doesn't exactly make me a competitive candidate. I have years of volunteer experience in hospitals and extracurriculars.

If anyone has any advice on getting into and attending foreign medical schools such as graduate entry medicine requirements, entrance exams, GPA cutoffs, number of letters of recommendations, etc... I would greatly appreciate it. Much thanks!

In Europe, you could look into Malta Medical University (but the tuition is ridiculously expensive!) Other options are Vita-Salute San Raffaele in Milan, Italy or University of Navarre in Spain.

Last edited:
to OP: Why not Eastern Europe, Asian (East Asian, South Asia) med schools?

Many teach in English, approved by WHO/IMED-FAIMER , most have 50-States approval, and you're very competitive for Asian schools.

Don't need MCAT. Tuition's cheap in local currency. If you do well and ace USMLE, you've good chance matching to U.S. programs.

What's a good chance? How many apply and how many match? Do you know anyone from those schools currently at a university affiliated residency program?

What's a good chance? How many apply and how many match? Do you know anyone from those schools currently at a university affiliated residency program?

It's definitely not as good chance as AMGs. About 93% of AMGs match. The IMG chance is about 50%, if someone has real detailed stats, please post.

I know of people from these Eastern Europe, East Asian schools at residency programs or are practicing in USA. I guess not really in big university ones. They get in lots of lesser programs.