This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FeliciaAndrea

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just graduated from a four year pharmacy program in another country, and my goal is to become a licensed pharmacist in the U.S.. I was planning on taking the FPGEE exam, but a site says I'm not qualified to take it since I graduated after 2003. So I think the only option for me right now is to earn a PharmD degree here, in a school that accepts foreign pharmacy graduates. Western University of Health Sciences is on the top of my list since they only need a few requirements, and is within my state. But the tuition is very expensive, so I'm having second thoughts. Is there another way for me to become a licensed pharmacist in the U.S.? And can you suggest other universities/colleges that offer PharmD programs to a foreign graduate who hasn't been licensed in his/her country of origin? And can you tell me if WesternU is a good choice for me? Please help, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Was your program 4 years total, or was it 4 years + pre-pharmacy education? Pre-pharmacy education is considered in determining your eligibility for the FPGEC.

AACP has a short list of IPBP programs:
AACP - Foreign Students and Graduates

Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely check with the website ^. Also, the ECE will be helpful. I am a foreign graduate with a 4yr degree but my credentials were accepted! Don't panic and contact the right authorities about your credentials! Hopefully this helps :)
P.s. All PharmD bridging programs are very $$$$ so hopefully things work out for you

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely check with the website ^. Also, the ECE will be helpful. I am a foreign graduate with a 4yr degree but my credentials were accepted! Don't panic and contact the right authorities about your credentials! Hopefully this helps :)
P.s. All PharmD bridging programs are very $$$$ so hopefully things work out for you
I had my credentials evaluated by WES and they just finished evaluating my transcript. Are you saying your credentials were still accepted for the FPGEC even if you finished a 4 year degree?? If so, that's wonderful news!!! I really hope that mine would be the same. :( Hopefully I'd find a university with a good PharmD program and a much cheaper one at that, if I really don't qualify for the equivalency exam. May I ask where you graduated?:)

Hi, I just graduated from a four year pharmacy program in another country, and my goal is to become a licensed pharmacist in the U.S.. I was planning on taking the FPGEE exam, but a site says I'm not qualified to take it since I graduated after 2003. So I think the only option for me right now is to earn a PharmD degree here, in a school that accepts foreign pharmacy graduates. Western University of Health Sciences is on the top of my list since they only need a few requirements, and is within my state. But the tuition is very expensive, so I'm having second thoughts. Is there another way for me to become a licensed pharmacist in the U.S.? And can you suggest other universities/colleges that offer PharmD programs to a foreign graduate who hasn't been licensed in his/her country of origin? And can you tell me if WesternU is a good choice for me? Please help, thank you!

There's NSU in fort lauderdale as well as KGI in California (not too far from Western U) and University of Arizona.

I think you have to be licensed in your country of origin (where you had the pharmacy education) in order to sit for the FPGEE.

I had my credentials evaluated by WES and they just finished evaluating my transcript. Are you saying your credentials were still accepted for the FPGEC even if you finished a 4 year degree?? If so, that's wonderful news!!! I really hope that mine would be the same. :( Hopefully I'd find a university with a good PharmD program and a much cheaper one at that, if I really don't qualify for the equivalency exam. May I ask where you graduated?:)

I'm a British grad. The ECE actually counted my college (A levels) towards '5 years' university so it worked out pretty well! Not sure what WES is :/ And I think the above poster is correct that you have to be licensed in your graduating country to be eligible for fPGEC because they do need good professional standing statements from the Boards of Pharmacy where you are registered. At least that was the case 5 yrs ago when I did mine :) Feel free to pm me if you want any help :) I can be a little bit helpful maybe, even though it was 5 years ago when I went through the FPGEC process!!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a British grad. The ECE actually counted my college (A levels) towards '5 years' university so it worked out pretty well! Not sure what WES is :/ And I think the above poster is correct that you have to be licensed in your graduating country to be eligible for fPGEC because they do need good professional standing statements from the Boards of Pharmacy where you are registered. At least that was the case 5 yrs ago when I did mine :) Feel free to pm me if you want any help :) I can be a little bit helpful maybe, even though it was 5 years ago when I went through the FPGEC process!![/QUOT

Pm'd you.

Hi, I have the same problem I graduated from UAE with 4yr BS of Pharmacy, I did my ECE but the U.S Equivalence is Bachelor of Sciences degree with a major in pharmaceutical sciences. So, how did ECE helped you?, were you accepted for the FPGE exam? and what website I need to check? I would really appreciate any help here, I applied for western university but the competition is really high, they only accept 20 students out of 800, I've been in the U.S for 3 years now and yet I did nothing about my degree.
Hopefully someone could help me with any advice.