Foreign Veterinary Graduates

Started by rocibell
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sorry dvmjakish, but is it so difficult to obtain the visa to work in USA?:scared: And is true that it costs so much?:scared:....i would like to work there as veterinary assistant and take the ecvfg but all the process is so long and expensive 😡
 
sorry dvmjakish, but is it so difficult to obtain the visa to work in USA?:scared: And is true that it costs so much?:scared:....i would like to work there as veterinary assistant and take the ecvfg but all the process is so long and expensive 😡


Looks like you are in Italy, Well We have a veterinarian right now working in our clinic as an intern. she came on Student visa for intern, She is getting paid and working and learning in a very good hospital. You just need to find someone who is willing to bring you here. I got a good idea on how things are in Italy.
I don't know how expensive things are, but if you don't involve an attorney then it is reasonable.
There are thousands of vet hospitals in the States, look online for the big specialty places and communicate with them regarding an internship. I think this visa called H1B3 but not sure. once you find someone who is willing to have you as an interne then everything after is easy, if they like you they will keep you or you can apply for another internship, maybe you can do residency while you are doing the ECEFVG... it will be lots of work and study but it is not impossible..
you guys from Europe , why don't you try U.K, I think they have good aportunities there too without the headache??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looks like you are in Italy, Well We have a veterinarian right now working in our clinic as an intern. she came on Student visa for intern, She is getting paid and working and learning in a very good hospital. You just need to find someone who is willing to bring you here. I got a good idea on how things are in Italy.
I don't know how expensive things are, but if you don't involve an attorney then it is reasonable.
There are thousands of vet hospitals in the States, look online for the big specialty places and communicate with them regarding an internship. I think this visa called H1B3 but not sure. once you find someone who is willing to have you as an interne then everything after is easy, if they like you they will keep you or you can apply for another internship, maybe you can do residency while you are doing the ECEFVG... it will be lots of work and study but it is not impossible..
you guys from Europe , why don't you try U.K, I think they have good aportunities there too without the headache??




Thanks as usual!!! I didnt know that for an internship/residence you dont need the ECVFG:idea:.....because lots of animal hospital and university askfor that. Yeah for us UK is a good choice but to enter in the Royal College of London is not so easy too. And private hospital are not so good as in USA, where for your specialization there are so many choices and good clinic. And , in the end, i dont' like England 🙄
 
Hello guys I am taking the NAVLE next April and have been studying from Merck, Auburn files, Personal notes, info on Futurevows (thanks a lot DVMJakish🙂 ) and now I have the oportunity to sign on one of these programs: ZUKU, Vetprep or VIN; and I am wondering which one would be the best...... Also if someone has the VCRC (NAVLE) or National veterinary series for sale I'd like to buy them .
my email: [email protected] (for the books if someone wants to sell them)

Please any feeback on those courses would be apprecited.

Thanks a lot
 
Last edited:
Hello guys I am taking the NAVLE next April and have been studying from Merck, Auburn files, Personal notes, info on Futurevows (thanks a lot DVMJakish🙂 ) and now I have the oportunity to sign on one of these programs: ZUKU, Vetprep or VIN; and I am wondering which one would be the best...... Also if someone has the VCRC (NAVLE) or National veterinary series for sale I'd like to buy them .
my email: [email protected] (for the books if someone wants to sell them)

Please any feeback on those courses would be apprecited.

Thanks a lot


I like VIN👍, It's not a Navle treaning place by any means, but there are tons of cases you can read and have lots of study material. I'm not familiar with the other places , didn't have them when I did the Navle.
I can tell you that I passed without any off this sites. I read National veterinary series and merck and some papers I had on anestehsia.. also lots of the files I have on my website...
sign up with CPE yahoo group too. they have good material..👍
 
have you taken the BCSE ? their is no group for bcse takers anymore ?if you know anyone who is a taker pls contact me so we can study together. Two heads is always better than one 🙂 I hope to hear from you or from anyone who is a BCSE takers. THanks
 
USDA seeks to address shortage of vets in rural areas
The USDA is planning to reimburse the student loans of qualified veterinarians who agree to work in those parts of the country that are suffering from a veterinary shortage. "This program will help reduce veterinary shortages, especially in the area of food animal medicine," said Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack. KWCH-TV (Wichita, Kan.)
hi my name is ousama i am vet graduated from libya and i am in houston TX.i wante to meet a vet working in houston is there any one here.
 
Shortage of large-animal vets worse in rural areas
The shortage of veterinarians specializing in cows, horses and other large animals is a growing problem that is far more distressing in rural communities, such as North Central Montana. Some of the factors driving this trend have to do with large-animal practitioners generating less income, incurring higher insurance costs and being subjected to more physically demanding work compared with small-animal practices, a local veterinarian said. "I hope vet schools address this and admit more students who want to work in ranch and rural areas," the vet added. KFBB-TV (Great Falls, Mont.)
 
Hello I am wondering if anyone has the top 20 diseases by species? I was reading at Zuku review and there they mentioned about this information... would be nice if someone can post them here or on futurevows.com.

Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are u guys in orange county? 'cause I am in San Diego and studying for the BCSE, we can create a study group, that would be great.

Are u sill trying to take BCSE? I hope u have passed it. But if not, I want to take it and we are in same place. So we can make a study group 🙂
 
Hi Everyone,

I have a question for DVM Jakish or other vets who currently work in the USA.
I am a UK vet and a very experienced surgeon. I perform cruciate repairs (TTO/lat suture), patella luxation surgery, TICA's etc on a regular basis and have over 9 years experience. I am not a specialist or board certified. I enjoy working in general practice and do not really want to do a residency to become board certified. I have heard that there is a different attitude towards referral versus in house treatment in the US, and vets tend to refer all the more difficult cases. Is this true or is there also a percentage of clients who are anable to afford specialist treatments? Do you think I would be able to find a job in the US that allows me to perform occasional orthopedic operations?
Thanks for your help 🙂
 
Hi Everyone,

I have a question for DVM Jakish or other vets who currently work in the USA.
I am a UK vet and a very experienced surgeon. I perform cruciate repairs (TTO/lat suture), patella luxation surgery, TICA's etc on a regular basis and have over 9 years experience. I am not a specialist or board certified. I enjoy working in general practice and do not really want to do a residency to become board certified. I have heard that there is a different attitude towards referral versus in house treatment in the US, and vets tend to refer all the more difficult cases. Is this true or is there also a percentage of clients who are anable to afford specialist treatments? Do you think I would be able to find a job in the US that allows me to perform occasional orthopedic operations?
Thanks for your help 🙂

Hi,
I work in referral surgical clinic where we do mostly orthopedic surgeries. All vets in the clinic are board certified surgeons. there are some vets who do these surgeries at their small clinics, they usually do MRIT vs TPLO, the reason is the amount and expense of equipment that required to do these surgeries, also there are some mobile surgeons who do these surgeries in someone else clinic. I think you can easily find a job and do these surgeries in the U.S , just need someone who already have the equipment or willing to spend lots of money for them.
People do like specialty clinics, but most people don't know any better, if you are in clinic where you can offer these surgeries then you don't refer and the owner will not know the difference. Some people call us to see how much we charge, they shop around and see who is the cheapest. for example we charge 3200-3600 $ for a TPLO. Regular clinic without Board certified surgeons charges 2500$. These prices varies from state to state and from city to city, the bigger the city the more you charge..
Hope this helps..
 
Hi,

what it's VCRC? Is it for NAVLE?
I will take BCSE this April, but NAVLE will be the next step, so let me know if you still have it
Nick
 
Hey everyone!
I just started studying to BCSE and also NAVLE and am a bit lost with so much things to read. 😱
Does anyone have a study plan that you could share with me?
I appreciate any help.
 
Hey everyone!
I just started studying to BCSE and also NAVLE and am a bit lost with so much things to read. 😱
Does anyone have a study plan that you could share with me?
I appreciate any help.

You should start reading these books, over and over.. this is the best plan.
1- National Veterinary Medical Series (Small Animal Internal Medicine).
2– National Veterinary Medical Series (Large Animal Internal Medicine).
3– National Veterinary Medical Series (Small Animal Surgery).
then read the most important and common diseases from Merck...
if you have access to VIN.COM read actually cases.. most questions are real cases.. they are also easier to remember.

GOODLUCK
 
Last edited:
Hi,
I work in referral surgical clinic where we do mostly orthopedic surgeries. All vets in the clinic are board certified surgeons. there are some vets who do these surgeries at their small clinics, they usually do MRIT vs TPLO, the reason is the amount and expense of equipment that required to do these surgeries, also there are some mobile surgeons who do these surgeries in someone else clinic. I think you can easily find a job and do these surgeries in the U.S , just need someone who already have the equipment or willing to spend lots of money for them.
People do like specialty clinics, but most people don't know any better, if you are in clinic where you can offer these surgeries then you don't refer and the owner will not know the difference. Some people call us to see how much we charge, they shop around and see who is the cheapest. for example we charge 3200-3600 $ for a TPLO. Regular clinic without Board certified surgeons charges 2500$. These prices varies from state to state and from city to city, the bigger the city the more you charge..
Hope this helps..


Thanks for your advise 😀
 
Dear dvmjakish,
i have got a permanent resident status. I am a small animal veterinarian 5 years experience. can i start to work as a veterinarian's assistant or vet technician? and during my work i will start to prepare for NAVLE. do i need a licence to work as assistant?
Thanks for answer



I can't help not to wonder why a vet in UK want to go through all the hastel of the ECFVG to practice in U.S.A? I'm thinking about moving to U.K my self.
 
Dear dvmjakish,
i have got a permanent resident status. I am a small animal veterinarian 5 years experience. can i start to work as a veterinarian's assistant or vet technician? and during my work i will start to prepare for NAVLE. do i need a licence to work as assistant?
Thanks for answer


No, You don't need a license to work as assistant
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't help not to wonder why a vet in UK want to go through all the hastel of the ECFVG to practice in U.S.A? I'm thinking about moving to U.K my self.

Yep, that is a difficult question...
I guess part of the answere is that the grass always seems to be greener on the other side. The main reason I want to do the exam is to keep my options open. It will enable me to work in many parts of the world (USA, Canada, Australia). The work permits for the USA are a major hassle, so really not sure what to do at the moment.
How is the economic situation for vets in the USA at the moment?
I heared there is quite a lot of unemployment among other professions...
 
Yep, that is a difficult question...
I guess part of the answere is that the grass always seems to be greener on the other side. The main reason I want to do the exam is to keep my options open. It will enable me to work in many parts of the world (USA, Canada, Australia). The work permits for the USA are a major hassle, so really not sure what to do at the moment.
How is the economic situation for vets in the USA at the moment?
I heared there is quite a lot of unemployment among other professions...

The market has just started to move up, business has been very slow, and even vets in some places had hard time finding a job, especially the new vets. I think now it's getting better slowly..
I had the same thought you have, I did some search about what does it take to get licensed in U.K, it's very easy, just paper work and an interview, that's all, no exams needed, this of course for people who are licensed in the States with AVMA credentials.
I may do this next time I fly home, I usually stop in London.
 
Dear DVMJAKISH,
Your web site it's great. I wanted to thank you for all your posts and advice.
My next step is the BCSE, I'm a RVT and used the Mosby's comp. rev. for vet. tech. to study when I took my license test. I just wanted to double check a couple of things with you about the BCSE;
1) In your opinion, is the Mosby's comp. rev. for vet. tech., plus the florida videos, plus the the list of the most common diseases enough material to cover the BCSE.
2) Is more important to study the national veterinary medical series for the NAVLE than for the BCSE?
3) Do you think that the Merck is a good source to cover the list of the most common diseases? or you do recommend something else?
4) Images of x rays or u/s would be something that you would study mostly for the NAVLE than the BCSE?
Thank you in advance for taking the time in answering these questions.
 
Dear DVMJAKISH,
Your web site it's great. I wanted to thank you for all your posts and advice.
My next step is the BCSE, I'm a RVT and used the Mosby's comp. rev. for vet. tech. to study when I took my license test. I just wanted to double check a couple of things with you about the BCSE;
1) In your opinion, is the Mosby's comp. rev. for vet. tech., plus the florida videos, plus the the list of the most common diseases enough material to cover the BCSE.

Yes, that did work with me, but we are different on how much we already know, I think you will be fine since you are already a RVT and had your share of experience from working in a clinic. Just remember that whatever extra you read it will help you in the next step, so it doesn't hurt to read more about the most common diseases..

2) Is more important to study the national veterinary medical series for the NAVLE than for the BCSE?

Yes, these book are very good for NAVLE, although not enough, you have to read more about the most common diseases with more details, also it doesn't cover things like anesthesia....

3) Do you think that the Merck is a good source to cover the list of the most common diseases? or you do recommend something else?

Yes, that what I used.

4) Images of x rays or u/s would be something that you would study mostly for the NAVLE than the BCSE?

as far as I remember there was no X-rays in BCSE, although this may have changed, but there was images, . NAVLE will have both X-rays and Images, but there is a small number of these questions.

Thank you in advance for taking the time in answering these questions.


it has been a while since i did all these exams, so I hope you get some input from other people who had done these exam recently.

 
The market has just started to move up, business has been very slow, and even vets in some places had hard time finding a job, especially the new vets. I think now it's getting better slowly..
I had the same thought you have, I did some search about what does it take to get licensed in U.K, it's very easy, just paper work and an interview, that's all, no exams needed, this of course for people who are licensed in the States with AVMA credentials.
I may do this next time I fly home, I usually stop in London.

Sounds like a good idea to get licenced here if it is that easy. I am sure American vets will always be able welcome to work here, but you never know how things will change in the future. The recession has only had a minor effect on veterinary business here (maybe 10 percent reduction in turn over) but employment conditions are changing. A number of new vet schools have opened in the last 5 years so there are more British graduates available to apply for vacancies. Also since the expansion of the EU there are many Polish vets who come over to work here. I used to work with quite a lot of South-African and Australian vets, but in the last few years there have not been many new grads from those countries because they need to obtain a work permit and there is more competition now.
My husband and I live about an hour outside of London. I you wanted to spend a bit of time to get to know the UK you are welcome to visit us!
 
Sounds like a good idea to get licenced here if it is that easy. I am sure American vets will always be able welcome to work here, but you never know how things will change in the future. The recession has only had a minor effect on veterinary business here (maybe 10 percent reduction in turn over) but employment conditions are changing. A number of new vet schools have opened in the last 5 years so there are more British graduates available to apply for vacancies. Also since the expansion of the EU there are many Polish vets who come over to work here. I used to work with quite a lot of South-African and Australian vets, but in the last few years there have not been many new grads from those countries because they need to obtain a work permit and there is more competition now.
My husband and I live about an hour outside of London. I you wanted to spend a bit of time to get to know the UK you are welcome to visit us!

this is the second year we have vets from Italy who come to our clinic "referral surgical Clinic" and do internship, so EU vets are going every where. I was planning on doing the interview in London the next time I fly home since I always stop in london. Thanks for the invitation, I make take you on your offer, I don't think I will be spending more than 1-2 days because I have to see my family. But it will be nice to know some one that help you not to get lost. Also I would love to see how U.K doctor do things in a clinic.
Thanks again.
 
this is the second year we have vets from Italy who come to our clinic "referral surgical Clinic" and do internship, so EU vets are going every where. I was planning on doing the interview in London the next time I fly home since I always stop in london. Thanks for the invitation, I make take you on your offer, I don't think I will be spending more than 1-2 days because I have to see my family. But it will be nice to know some one that help you not to get lost. Also I would love to see how U.K doctor do things in a clinic.
Thanks again.

That would be fine, you are welcome to stay over at our house. If you want to you can visit the clinic where I work so you can get an impression of general practice in the UK. Can I contact you by facebook or email?
 
Hi,
I'm a vet from Peru living in Rochester, MN. Two questions:

1. Is somebody around here trying to take the exams too? I'm taking the BSC in April.

2. Would you please let me know if you are selling a VCRC course? I'm interested.

Thank you to all the people that have been posting here. You are really helpful! 🙂


Nic.

Me podes escribir a [email protected] yo tambien voy a tomar el examen en Abril. Suerte y me escribes.
 
That would be fine, you are welcome to stay over at our house. If you want to you can visit the clinic where I work so you can get an impression of general practice in the UK. Can I contact you by facebook or email?

I'm not sure when I will be traveling yet, but most likely end of September, early October.
you can e-mail me or find me on face book..


Thanks.
 
Last edited:
That would be fine, you are welcome to stay over at our house. If you want to you can visit the clinic where I work so you can get an impression of general practice in the UK. Can I contact you by facebook or email?

Should I be worried about working in UK???

Study probes potential causes of high suicide rate among British vets
Five or six British veterinarians commit suicide in any given year, which is twice that of other health care professionals' rates and far higher than the general public's rates, said Dr. David Bartram, a researcher with the University of Southampton. In his study, Bartram identified some of the potential triggers for the trend, including that vets have ready access to suicidal means. The study "confirms some of the anecdotal information that we've heard," said AVMA CEO Ron DeHaven, according to this article. CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/03/26/england.veterinarians.suicide/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am so happy to meet u in our discussion board my name is ahmed will start take ecfvg ...whats your situation?
 
Should I be worried about working in UK???

Ha ha, I saw in a documentary that Seattle has the highest suicide rate in America, so you if your mental state is still in good health after living there for a few years you should be able to cope in Great Britain!!

But on a more serious note this is actually quite interesting; I do suspect there are some differences between working in America compared to the UK.
British people love their pets dearly and they expect a high level of medical and emotional care. On the other hand they are not at all aware of the true cost of medical treatment. Because of the National Health Service they are not used to paying for any medical bills. The general public have the false impression that vets make loads of money and will try to rip you off. This is not true at all, and the reality is that vets tend to work very long hours for a pretty average salary. The combination of expecting a high level of care but an unwillingness or inablility to pay for this service leads to a relatively higher number of complaints.
On top of this every individual practice has to provide 24 hour emergency care. If you are lucky enough to own a practice near an emergency centre you can pay this centre to take on your clients. I am curious about the American legislation regarding 24 hour care; is this an obligation? are you obligated to provide house visits during the night?
The other important factor is financial pressure, mainly for vets who own their own practice. House prices have gone up a lot in the UK the last 15 years and a lot of young people cannot afford to buy their own home. Student debts are getting higher (probably still a lot less than in America I suspect) and there is more competition between vets. It is very difficult to buy or start your own practice when you live in the UK. When practices come up for sale at auction the large corporate groups will easiley outbid individual vets. The other option is joint venture, but you will end up working very hard for a small profit....

I hope I haven't put you off working in the UK! I do enjoy my work here very much, it is challenging and every day is different. If you have experience and skills you will be able to find a good job and have a good quality of life!!
 
Should I be worried about working in UK???

Ha ha, I saw in a documentary that Seattle has the highest suicide rate in America, so you if your mental state is still in good health after living there for a few years you should be able to cope in Great Britain!!

But on a more serious note this is actually quite interesting; I do suspect there are some differences between working in America compared to the UK.
British people love their pets dearly and they expect a high level of medical and emotional care. On the other hand they are not at all aware of the true cost of medical treatment. Because of the National Health Service they are not used to paying for any medical bills. The general public have the false impression that vets make loads of money and will try to rip you off. This is not true at all, and the reality is that vets tend to work very long hours for a pretty average salary. The combination of expecting a high level of care but an unwillingness or inablility to pay for this service leads to a relatively higher number of complaints.
On top of this every individual practice has to provide 24 hour emergency care. If you are lucky enough to own a practice near an emergency centre you can pay this centre to take on your clients. I am curious about the American legislation regarding 24 hour care; is this an obligation? are you obligated to provide house visits during the night?
The other important factor is financial pressure, mainly for vets who own their own practice. House prices have gone up a lot in the UK the last 15 years and a lot of young people cannot afford to buy their own home. Student debts are getting higher (probably still a lot less than in America I suspect) and there is more competition between vets. It is very difficult to buy or start your own practice when you live in the UK. When practices come up for sale at auction the large corporate groups will easiley outbid individual vets. The other option is joint venture, but you will end up working very hard for a small profit....

I hope I haven't put you off working in the UK! I do enjoy my work here very much, it is challenging and every day is different. If you have experience and skills you will be able to find a good job and have a good quality of life!!

YES... You certainly did put me off, Working long hours, waking up in the middle of the night and obligated to do emergency, getting complains and not getting paid well.. I think you should start sending your résumé to the U.S.. why would anyone want a job like that. So it is definitely greener on the other side..

In U.S you are not obligated to do anything. Emergency medicine is a specialty and only cretin clinic do that, and that all what they do. So all the other clinics open 8 am - 6 pm and have weekend off or you get a day off within the week and a Sunday off in case you have to work Saturday. My clinic closes Saturday and Sunday. We are surgical clinic and need vet to care for our patient so we have another clinic that shares the same building with us, they are emergency clinic 27/7 totally different business.
But in general practices all patients go home before closing at 6 PM. if an animal need further need it's the responsibility of the owner to transfer to emergency clinic to continue the care of this animal over night. So every clinic usually refers to a certain emergency clinic that is close by.
Most of the prices are the same in particular areas, but when a non board certified surgeon does a TPLO they charge less. Otherwise clinic charge almost same fees and people expect that. Pet insurance is becoming very common and many people have it. This is helping us a lot, many people wouldn't do the surgeries if it wasn't for the insurance. They even pay for physical therapy now. People who have insurance on their pets stopped asking how much does it cost to do a surgery.
I do platelet rich plasma treatments and stem cell therapy treatment, basically "regenerative medicine" for end stage osteoarthritis patients. I just got an e-mail saying the insurance companies start covering these treatments. Stem cell therapy cost 3500 $.

I think you should definitely consider moving to the U.S. a vet with your experience can net over $100.000 a year easily as a start. With less stress and no waking up at night..
Seattle weather is very depressing, always gray, and rainy but not too cold, we saw the snow one day this year, ... but it's beautiful place with a very nice people.
 
we are almost there to form a study group in between orange county and L.A. where are you? you can call me or text me 562-305-6388 fernando


have you taken the BCSE ? their is no group for bcse takers anymore ?if you know anyone who is a taker pls contact me so we can study together. Two heads is always better than one 🙂 I hope to hear from you or from anyone who is a BCSE takers. THanks