Foreign Veterinary Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, I'm currently registering for the CPE. I'm still deciding on a date. I would like to take it towards the end of 2016. It will definitely have to be in Las Vegas, since all other sites are full.
I don't work at a veterinary clinic anymore, so I need a little extra time to prepare. However, I strongly feel that everything I studied for the BCSE and NAVLE is more than enough book knowledge to be able to pass the CPE.
Now it's just a question of hands-on experience.
Hi Dr.NWs, were u able to pass the CPE? can u share ur experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No where yet. probably I am good about those.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I hope this is the right thread to ask this. I was wondering what process someone would have to go through to practice in another country? Specifically, if someone graduates from a US AVMA accredited school, can they practice in the UK, which also has AVMA accredited schools? Or do they need to sit additional exams?

Hi, If your foreign certificate is evaluated by Foreign Credential Service of America (FCSA) and you DVM degree is equivalent to a DVM degree in US, can you proceed straight to taking the board exams in any State in US?

After taking the CPE and NAVLE, can you proceed on taking the board exam in any state in US?

That's a good question. The short answer is YES; after completing the ECFVG and NAVLE you are eligible to be licensed in all 50 states. However, I registered for the California state boards in August, and did the CPE later in October!

The CA state boards consists of 2 parts: the legal exam (it's take-home, they send it by mail), and the actual sit-down medical board exam.

I took the law exam when it arrived in September, then I took the CPE in October (passed), and then I took the medical portion of the CA boards in December. So, call your state board and find out if you can speed up the process! (By the way, if I had NOT passed the CPE on that first try, I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to take the CA board exam afterwards)

Last edited:
If you completed the ECFVG program, passed the NAVLE and otherwise meet all criteria for licensure in a specific state, then yes you can apply for a license and you should be able to obtain it.

Hi All, I was told that you can either take CPE or NAVLE and not necessarily both exams to be licensed to practice as a vet. Is that true? And also is it necessary to take TOEFL before you can proceed to either BCSE or CPE? Please let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
To my knowledge, the NAVLE is required to obtain a license in any state - all American students are required to do so.

Hi everyone!

I know this thread is kind of sleeping but I would like to wish you all a wonderful Xmas and New Year.

So, I have question and hopefully somebody can share the experience about it. Have any of you get a financial aid or loan to obtain the ECFVG certification? Because I have calculated the cost of all steps and the amount of fund needed for it is around 10 to 20 grand (You may correct me if I'm wrong). That is not some easy money and although I have a job as Vet assistant right now I have family to support and it's not quite easy to save up.

I would appreciate so much if somebody would like to share their experience on it. Thank you!

Hi everyone. We have a open position as an associate veterinarian in Central Florida. Immigration process fees are paid by employer. Conctact me for more information. Requirements: Passed Navle

Hi folks,
Is any body here who chose the PAVE program to get licensed?
I have some questions about the clinical experience evalouation step.
As the ASAB website mentioned there are 6 vet schools that accept PAVE candidates for ECE. I already talked to Oregon State University and they said they are no longer accepting PAVE students! So just 5 more schools remain, and I'm wondering if getting accepted in those schools is hard and competitive or not.
Doese any body here knows another vet schools that accept PAVE students? Do you know how can I increase chance of getting admission? How the interviews are?

Please share your knowledge, experience and thoughts.

Thanks,

Hi friend,

Yes, this group is somehow going reduntant. I think the problem is there is no
alert to your email is a message is posted on the forum, and you only have to log-in to read any message.
I'm also looking for such a financial aid in order to take the professional exam.
What stage are you right now? There are four ECFVG stages.

For me I'm in the first stage, preparing for the TOEFL. TOEFL is affordable, it's just about $200.

After you pass TOEFL with standard score requirements set by ECFVG , then you pay about $1400 to get registered into the program and your degree verification (providing transcripts from your college so that they can verify it)

Third stage is passing BCSE, (You do not need to practice). You will be able to take CPE only after passingBCSE

Fourth and last stage will be taking either CPE or NAVLE. Some prefer to take CPE 3 days hands on exam sponsored by ECFVG after clearing BCSE and some will prefer to take NAVLE (computer based theoretical test). Even graduates from USA after their college needs to pass this North American Veterinary licensing exam to practice in USA. Its same for every one For CPE (clinical proficiency exam) you need some hands on skills or training.
The last two exams cost a lot a money, but I can't remember, You can find the actual amount on ECFVG website
I hope we'll get the aid when we needed them.

Hi Dr NW,
DO you have to take CPE after passing NAVLE? I thought you can take one but not both to be licensed to practice as a Vet in any state in US. please let me know

Hi everyone. We have a open position as an associate veterinarian in Central Florida. Immigration process fees are paid by employer. Conctact me for more information. Requirements: Passed Navle
Hi Digivet, I'm a foreign vet grad and I'm going to take the NAVLE this spring. I'm interested about the position. Is it still available? May I know your email address?

I know as a Canadian student/graduate I can go down to the States for an internship/residency just by getting a TN "visa" or whatever that NAFTA thing's called at the border when I cross, right?

I've had several places in the States reply back to me saying unfortunately they're only taking USA graduates for their internship programs because of "visa issues" - didn't really want to pry or ask further and be embarrassed in case my Google-skills are bad and there's a glaringly obvious answer, but what visa issues might they be talking about/might I encounter if it's so simple to work in the States if I'm Canadian?

Thanks!

sir waiting for my navle results , If I pass would be interested.

Hey guys!! I’m starting to prep for the bcse test and I’m trying to decide which books I should get. I just graduated last year in Bolivia and my transcripts should be here next month. I found a references page but there are so many books and I’m trying to pick the most important ones. I was thinking on getting the Merck Manual but I’m open to any suggestions or comments. By the way I’m in Boston so if anyone lives close by maybe we can study/review sessions!!

I am a foreign vet and passed NAVLE. I have valid visa to work. Do you still have the position open?

Hi Everyone ,
I am taking my CPE on March 2019 in Vegas ,is anybody here can give me some tips or any experiences ?

Hi Everyone ,
I am taking my CPE on March 2019 in Vegas ,is anybody here can give me some tips or any experiences ?
Good luck with CPE and Since, you have registered for CPE . Want to confirm about the rumor if its true that there is huge waiting period to get a next available CPE date after passing BCSE. Appreciate verymuch your feedback . Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

I have passed my NAVLE and want to prepare for my CPE. Are there any hands on prep courses available or is it possible to do intern programs to prepare?

All the best to each of you.

Hey guys!! I’m starting to prep for the bcse test and I’m trying to decide which books I should get. I just graduated last year in Bolivia and my transcripts should be here next month. I found a references page but there are so many books and I’m trying to pick the most important ones. I was thinking on getting the Merck Manual but I’m open to any suggestions or comments. By the way I’m in Boston so if anyone lives close by maybe we can study/review sessions!!
Hi! I am from colombia and I am going to start studying, I will be in Boston some weeks staring in January if you can go for a coffee and talk aboout he test THANK YOU

Hi
I just came across this site while looking for some online help for one of my relatives in preparation for CPE exam .while here I realized that people are having tough time having some hands on experience.I am also an ECFVG student though I did it long time ago, now with the grace of God we are a big team of past ECFVG students who owns many veterinary hospitals in San Francisco bay Area.As far as small animal hand on practice is concerned, we are willing to help you, we can train you for CPE to the extent allowed by law.You are invited to come and learn things and if we get a good response we can formalize the training and we can assign mentor to students,We do have accommodation available upstairs in one of our hospitals.We will not charge you any thing for training or stay,Just buy your own food,If anyone is in a tough financial situation we can try to help with transportation cost depending upon on circumstances on case to case basis.Only thing in return we want is good discipline and honest work ethics so that that our normal work routine is not disturbed..If anyone is interested please contact us at ace[email protected] and we can provide you with details . Best of luck with your ECFVG and PAVE programs.
Hi!! Are you still offering help in
Preparation for the CPE? Could you please let me know? Thank you so much!

hi, I am applying the ECE/clinical rotation for Oklhoma and Louisianan Sep 2016. Would anybody share their experience or applying the same school as me?
Hi! Did you do it? Was it worth? It is so expensive!! Would you please share your thoughts?
Thanks!

Hello,
I am a Hungarian Veterinarian, thinking about doing the procedure and getting licensed in California. Does anyone know about the immigration side of the story? Do one has to take all the tests first ECFVG, CPE then NAVLE and THEN do immigration procedure or the other way around?
If You pass the tests is it more likely to get a visa? What is the average salary of a vet in California - how much time is needed for the investment to return? according to my calculations approx. 10 000$
Thanks for any input!

Dear foreign students,

Any foreign graduates from the dominican republic on here??

Hey Guys, I am a veterinarian from Colombia, who is working to be a licence veterinarian here in USA ( Georgia), I had been here for about 15 months and I am very lucky because have been working in a animal Hospital as a Vet Tech which is a wonderful opportunity keep your self into the field but you know we went to school for some reason and my goal is get my licence, So I want ask you about the experience going thru it ?? Because I kind scared about the all tests ( TOEFEL, BCSE, CPE ), so if you have some resources or material then may help I will appreciate it.
thank you guys and you more the welcome contact to me and talk, study or whatever about this.

Hi! I am from colombia and I am going to start studying, I will be in Boston some weeks staring in January if you can go for a coffee and talk aboout he test THANK YOU
Hey Dana1517 did you take any tests yet?
I am from colombia too but I am living in Atlanta Georgia, but if you have some information it will be awesome. thanks

We have a active group for ECFVG in watsapp.If any one want to get in lemme know

Last edited:
Hello everyone, for all of you that have taken the CPE, I please encourage you to post study tips and where you got hands on training on this other forum that is for CPE only:

I passed everything on my first try, here You can find my experience in detail. But if you already did take it please share with us!
Thanks in advanced, we all appreciate it!

Hi everybody. I am currently studying for the ECFVG and I wanted to share a link that has some quizzes and case studies so you can practice. I'm pretty sure most of you have heard about the Merck Veterinary Manual but many don't know they have this great tool.

Good Luck!

Hey Guys, I am a veterinarian from Colombia, who is working to be a licence veterinarian here in USA ( Georgia), I had been here for about 15 months and I am very lucky because have been working in a animal Hospital as a Vet Tech which is a wonderful opportunity keep your self into the field but you know we went to school for some reason and my goal is get my licence, So I want ask you about the experience going thru it ?? Because I kind scared about the all tests ( TOEFEL, BCSE, CPE ), so if you have some resources or material then may help I will appreciate it.
thank you guys and you more the welcome contact to me and talk, study or whatever about this.
Hello Dr did you pass you process already?

Hello Dr did you pass you process already?

Hello, please don't be scared. I'm about to take the TOEFL exam, just prepare as much as you can to get the required score. After passing the TOEFL then you can register for ECFVG certification. And does anyone know the passing score for TOEFL exam in order to be register for ECFVG?

Hello, please don't be scared. I'm about to take the TOEFL exam, just prepare as much as you can to get the required score. After passing the TOEFL then you can register for ECFVG certification. And does anyone know the passing score for TOEFL exam in order to be register for ECFVG?
Hi good afternoon, my name is Karen I am from Venezuela, I enrolled the ECFVG program last week. Let me know if we can study at the same time. this is my email address [email protected]

Hello everyone,
I wih Someone could help me or point me out on how to properly study to succeed my CPE. It's scheduled for October 2021!
I have already passed both the BCSE and NAVLE. It Seems that most of you have passed this test long time ago but is there a correct way to do the surgery or any technique we are comfortable with as long as the procedure is well performed? I.e. do I have to close intermittent the linea alba because I usually do it continuous?
The necropsy section, I have been practising it under the guidance of a pathologist but who practices in Europe. would that cause me any mifortune?

Thank you, and wish to get help from any of you,
Jihane

Hello everyone,

I passed the BCSE and planning for the NAVLE November 2021. Unfortunately, no dates for CPE this year. Does anyone has any information about CPE availability or wants to postpone its exam date?

Thank you and good luck to all,

Veronica
welcome to email me:
[email protected]

Hello everyone,

I passed the BCSE and planning for the NAVLE November 2021. Unfortunately, no dates for CPE this year. Does anyone has any information about CPE availability or wants to postpone its exam date?

Thank you and good luck to all,

Veronica
welcome to email me:
[email protected]
Hi Veronica,

What sources did you use to pass the BCSE? I didn't pass on my first attempt, Im planning to take it in August or before. Can you share or guide me on this matter please? Thanks

Eddie
[email protected]

Hello guys is anyone studying for the Bcse?? I haven't scheduled my test ate yet. I failed my second attempt back in march and I used Zuku. if anyone would like to exchange info or figure a way to have a stay group let me know. my phone number is 857-229-8537 and email is [email protected]. I live in Boston.