Foreign Veterinary Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi there, I just singed up for dvmprep.org. It is little confusing to go around. I had to call them to give me instructions. Videos will not load from every link.
I like that it really does sum up everything in short form. And has certain collection of videos. Some things that I have been looking for and took me a lot of time to find were there like simple things about horses ( my weak point).
However, in general I think you can find everything they have there on your own if you have time. Videos ( witch I looked mostly) were mainly the ones from youtube, and step by step instructions on how to do everything looks a lot like my own notes. If you know what it is than it is a good remainder but if you don't than you won't really learn it there.
I will still go trough it more since I already paid. I hope my impression will be better as I see more of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
GUYS I TRIED THE DVMPREP.ORG SERVICE AND IS CRAP!!! DO NOT USE IT! WHEN YOU PAY THEY SET PAYPAL FOR A YEARLY PAYMENT, THAT MEANS THAT EVERY YEAR WITHOUT YOU NOTICING, THEY'LL RECEIVE A PAYMENT OF $1OO FROM YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT!!! PLUS THE WEBPAGE IS CRAP, THE LINKS ARE ALL WRONG AND THE INFO THEY PRESENT IS CRAP, THEY JUST HAVE INFORMATION COPIED AND PASTE FROM THE INTERNET, PLUS THE VIDEOS ARE ALL FROM YOUTUBE. NOTHING NEW AND THAT YOU CANT JUST CHECK FOR FREE.

Reactions: 1 users
GUYS I TRIED THE DVMPREP.ORG SERVICE AND IS CRAP!!! DO NOT USE IT! WHEN YOU PAY THEY SET PAYPAL FOR A YEARLY PAYMENT, THAT MEANS THAT EVERY YEAR WITHOUT YOU NOTICING, THEY'LL RECEIVE A PAYMENT OF $1OO FROM YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT!!! PLUS THE WEBPAGE IS CRAP, THE LINKS ARE ALL WRONG AND THE INFO THEY PRESENT IS CRAP, THEY JUST HAVE INFORMATION COPIED AND PASTE FROM THE INTERNET, PLUS THE VIDEOS ARE ALL FROM YOUTUBE. NOTHING NEW AND THAT YOU CANT JUST CHECK FOR FREE.
Yes they did that to me too. I just removed the yearly payment the same day. Since last post I have been using it for a while. My impression didn't improve, in fact I am quite disappointed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all!

Greetings from Indonesia. I decided to give introduction after lurking to this site for quite awhile. It is a very helpful site. I am a small animal Veterinarian from Indonesia since 2005, my husband is American Citizen. Hopefully I can reunite with my dear husband in US very very soon.

I would like to ask you all (though I've read some answers but I want to be more certain) about the chance of me being hired as a Vet technician in the US while waiting to pass the NAVLE and ECFVG. Can I work as a Vet tech with my degree and experiences or clinics in US only hire licensed Vet tech?

Appreciate a lot your information. Have a good weekend! :}.

Hello all!

Greetings from Indonesia. I decided to give introduction after lurking to this site for quite awhile. It is a very helpful site. I am a small animal Veterinarian from Indonesia since 2005, my husband is American Citizen. Hopefully I can reunite with my dear husband in US very very soon.

I would like to ask you all (though I've read some answers but I want to be more certain) about the chance of me being hired as a Vet technician in the US while waiting to pass the NAVLE and ECFVG. Can I work as a Vet tech with my degree and experiences or clinics in US only hire licensed Vet tech?

Appreciate a lot your information. Have a good weekend! :}.
Depends on the state but with your education and experience you can take the VTNE but there are states that don't require a tech license to work in the state as a technician. Depends on your experience and if you are interested in taking the VTNE then contact the state licensing board at nbvme.org and to find out information about the VTNE (www.aavsb.org).

Depends on the state but with your education and experience you can take the VTNE but there are states that don't require a tech license to work in the state as a technician. Depends on your experience and if you are interested in taking the VTNE then contact the state licensing board at nbvme.org and to find out information about the VTNE (www.aavsb.org).
With a license you get paid more and make you more reputable to hire. In the United States a license is everything.

With a license you get paid more and make you more reputable to hire. In the United States a license is everything.

Futurovet:

That is a very satisfying answers. Thank you very much. Will do my research more on licensed Vet Tech by state requirements.

Hi futurovet, I am in the same situation of yours! I mean, I have planned to move to US being married than american and working on ECFVG.
I recently passed the BCSE and I couldn't take the NAVLE for this session so I ll do next spring but I will take the VTNE to start as a tech.
I checked with vet boards of NY where I want to practice and where it is required to be licensed! so next step is vet tech exam in November!

Hi futurovet, I am in the same situation of yours! I mean, I have planned to move to US being married than american and working on ECFVG.
I recently passed the BCSE and I couldn't take the NAVLE for this session so I ll do next spring but I will take the VTNE to start as a tech.
I checked with vet boards of NY where I want to practice and where it is required to be licensed! so next step is vet tech exam in November!
Nice to hear that. NY is very welcoming of foreign vets to work as veterinary technicians because a lot of jobs are available. They just cant keep up with the demand to fill up the positions that they have available. Just have to get through the fact that you are from another country and the trust issue to determine if you have the technical skills.

Nice to hear that. NY is very welcoming of foreign vets to work as veterinary technicians because a lot of jobs are available. They just cant keep up with the demand to fill up the positions that they have available. Just have to get through the fact that you are from another country and the trust issue to determine if you have the technical skills.
A lot of humility.

Hi, I moved to California and married an American citizen, and going to take BCSE soon. I work as a non-licensed technician.
1) If you have a work permission, a legal visa, you can work as a tech.
2) licensed tech can get more salary, but getting a vet license ASAP is the most cost effective. It's your choice how much you need to study vs need to work as a tech.
3) Half of the vet work in the US small animal clinic is to talk and convince clients, let's not mess up with any clients.

There is always tech positions, and an employer wants to know your legality and your attitude to work as "a tech", not as a vet.

I have a Skype video study group on every Wednesday and Friday 18:00 PST. for BCSE/NAVLE. Does anyone want to join?
please contact with;
kazuhebi*gmail.com
change * to @

A lot of humility.

I can understand that. I was working as a vet in neighbouring country from mine before and though our culture isn't much different but some would look down on you if they think you weren't that good.

I guess we have to be mentally prepared for facing that kind of situations that might happen in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I moved to California and married an American citizen, and going to take BCSE soon. I work as a non-licensed technician.
1) If you have a work permission, a legal visa, you can work as a tech.
2) licensed tech can get more salary, but getting a vet license ASAP is the most cost effective. It's your choice how much you need to study vs need to work as a tech.
3) Half of the vet work in the US small animal clinic is to talk and convince clients, let's not mess up with any clients.

There is always tech positions, and an employer wants to know your legality and your attitude to work as "a tech", not as a vet.

Ah, this is great info. Thank you.

Yes they did that to me too. I just removed the yearly payment the same day. Since last post I have been using it for a while. My impression didn't improve, in fact I am quite disappointed.
I wrote them an email and told them that I was disappointed on their service. They had no good excuse on their response but they did reimburse my $100. So at least they recognized their service is crap. Hope you got your money back as well. Cheers

I wrote them an email and told them that I was disappointed on their service. They had no good excuse on their response but they did reimburse my $100. So at least they recognized their service is crap. Hope you got your money back as well. Cheers
Good for you!! No I didn't but I will try! :)

Well I just wanted to say that I had my CPE exam and passed it!
It was not as hard as I expected. The examiners were very nice and polite. No one expected you to know everything and although they never comment on what you are doing and whether it is correct or not they do say many times that that is just the rule. My greatest fear was from examiners but when I sow them I realized that people are failing mostly because of the fear.
So good luck to everyone and have faith in yourself. ;)

It was not as hard as I expected. The examiners were very nice and polite. No one expected you to know everything and although they never comment on what you are doing and whether it is correct or not they do say many times that that is just the rule. My greatest fear was from examiners but when I sow them I realized that people are failing mostly because of the fear.

Congratulations ! Happy for you ☺. Thanks for sharing.

Question for those that passed BCSE and/or NAVLE would you kindly share the minimum list of books you were perusing for this?

thanks for sharing your experiences
can you elaborate on the way that you studied? did you attend any workshop or university? What is your recommendation for preparing for CPE?

Question for those that passed BCSE and/or NAVLE would you kindly share the minimum list of books you were perusing for this?

For the BCSE I only used the Zuku Review (BCSE version)
For the NAVLE I only used Vet Prep

I passed both without any problem. Those study programs are enough, in my opinion.

For the BCSE I only used the Zuku Review (BCSE version)
For the NAVLE I only used Vet Prep

I passed both without any problem. Those study programs are enough, in my opinion.

Dear Dr NWS
what is your experience and recommendation for CPE?

Hello,

My name is Patricio. I am a veterinarian from Argentina. I currently work for a large animal veterinary practice that specializes mainly in artificial insemination. My entire family lives in The United States, and I would like to move there as well.
As I prepare for the require exams to practice in the U.S., I would like to gain experience working as a vet assistant or an internship (preferably paid) to get used to the veterinary lingo in English.
Does anyone know where I can find opportunities like that?
Thank you.

Hi All,
I have recently moved back to MA and looking for a NAVLE study partner/group in MA . I am looking to take the NAVLE either on Dec. 2016 or April 2017. I do work full time and hopefully some one in the same condition so we can help each other keep up with the study schedule.

so does anybody know about this rotations at the university in alabama?i im gonna take CPE november 2015...(is anyone interested to form study group by the way)i would be really interested in some rotation or programs at the university and at "decent"price..i know there is one in mississpi but it takes 8 months i think its too long..vetstep in canada is 4 months of lectures and only 3 weeks of field work.....so you pay about 17 k plus you need to find externship at the vet clinic anyway because they dont prepare you to practical exam...does anybody hear sometging about this 1 week big animal externship in south carolina?
hi, I am doing PAVE program. I just passed my NAVLE and now looking for any possible vet schools in US for the 4th step, Evaluated clinical experience. Would you please share any experience regarding finding the rotation/internship/Evaluated clinical experience? Thank you. my email is [email protected]

I have a Skype video study group on every Wednesday and Friday 18:00 PST. for BCSE/NAVLE. Does anyone want to join?
please contact with;
kazuhebi*gmail.com
change * to @
Hi Kazuhebi, How are you? Are you still going for BCSE? I am planning to take mine in few months. I would be interested in your study group if it's OK. Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Kazuhebi, How are you? Are you still going for BCSE? I am planning to take mine in few months. I would be interested in your study group if it's OK. Look forward to hearing from you.

Hello Kazuhebi,
My email for skype is [email protected]. I am very interested in a discussion group. I am writing NAVLE in April 2016.
Thanks

Hi Rajvet and Kazuhebi! I am planning on taking my BCSE exam in a few months too! Would love to find a group study, advice and support!

Has anyone tried the ECFVG books that are available on Amazon? They are cheaper that Zuku review but don't know if they are as effective. I had my vet license in Romania 4.5 yrs ago and meanwhile worked for a year, had 2 kids, moved to the US for my husbands job and would love to be able to work as a vet here. I'm having a hard time starting over. Don't even know where to begin!

Greetings to all! I am preparing for the BCSE and looking for a study partner/group to meet at a particular time - 10 a.m. Eastern Time on week days or could be any day. Please PM me if interested.

I failed BCSE exam twice, I studied Zuku BCSE review, merck vet manual 9 edition, mosby tech review for anesthesia. I did not prepare well surgery and anesthesia, clinical pathology sections.Which books are good/enough/highly recommended to pass BCSE exam ? Which books are good to prepare anesthesia, surgery, diagnostic x-ray , clinical anatomy and clinical pathology section apart from Zuku review?

Last edited:
Dear Dr NWS
what is your experience and recommendation for CPE?

Hello, I'm currently registering for the CPE. I'm still deciding on a date. I would like to take it towards the end of 2016. It will definitely have to be in Las Vegas, since all other sites are full.
I don't work at a veterinary clinic anymore, so I need a little extra time to prepare. However, I strongly feel that everything I studied for the BCSE and NAVLE is more than enough book knowledge to be able to pass the CPE.
Now it's just a question of hands-on experience.

Hi to Everyone,
I have just moved here in the US. I`m currently looking for information on others experience regarding license.
I need to get hands on clinical skills in NYC (Brooklyn) and a studies buddy. Has anyone any idea or advice.

Hi,
As per my knowledge there are only 2 vet schools offering evaluated clinical experience.Oklhoma and lousiana.Fees around 35,000$ and 45000$ respectively.By the way did you pass QE??
All the best
hi, I am applying the ECE/clinical rotation for Oklhoma and Louisianan Sep 2016. Would anybody share their experience or applying the same school as me?

Hi
I just came across this site while looking for some online help for one of my relatives in preparation for CPE exam .while here I realized that people are having tough time having some hands on experience.I am also an ECFVG student though I did it long time ago, now with the grace of God we are a big team of past ECFVG students who owns many veterinary hospitals in San Francisco bay Area.As far as small animal hand on practice is concerned, we are willing to help you, we can train you for CPE to the extent allowed by law.You are invited to come and learn things and if we get a good response we can formalize the training and we can assign mentor to students,We do have accommodation available upstairs in one of our hospitals.We will not charge you any thing for training or stay,Just buy your own food,If anyone is in a tough financial situation we can try to help with transportation cost depending upon on circumstances on case to case basis.Only thing in return we want is good discipline and honest work ethics so that that our normal work routine is not disturbed..If anyone is interested please contact us at ace[email protected] and we can provide you with details . Best of luck with your ECFVG and PAVE programs.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi, Any body who wants to get hand on experience regarding small animal medicine, anesthesia monitoring, necropsy etc etc..., there is a vet in Dallas who is offering this training. I did this training and passed first time. Site is http://www.smallanimalcpe.com
Highly recommended.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Hi bkrvet,

According to the PAVE website, I thought there are at least 6 vet schools that are accepting PAVE candidates.
Here's the web page: https://www.aavsb.org/PAVE/ClinicalExperience/
But who knows how big the odds are of getting into them.

I am preparing for the QE right now. Planning to sit in on January, 2015.
How about you?

Cheers!

I know this particular comment is super old, but I thought I would help to clarify this because I know what a headache this can be to try to do all this research about the ECFVG/PAVE

so that list of 6 vet schools is a list of schools that frequently accept PAVE applicants. Those are not, however, the only ones. Any vet school in any of the accepted states/territories are acceptable.

Those states are listed on the link here: https://www.aavsb.org/PAVE/

Or, here's the list of states in the US
Arizona California Colorado Connecticut Georgia Idaho Indiana Iowa Illinois Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Montana Nebraska New Hampshire New Jersey New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Puerto Rico Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virgin Islands Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming

Hey folks;
what is the average waiting time to do CPE in Canada vs the USA for this year (2016-2017)? Is it logic to study IELTS again and pay almost $US 1400 to register for ECFVG or wait for your turn in Canada? I am very confused, don't know what to do. any idea would be helpful. Thanks

Hey folks;
what is the average waiting time to do CPE in Canada vs the USA for this year (2016-2017)? Is it logic to study IELTS again and pay almost $US 1400 to register for ECFVG or wait for your turn in Canada? I am very confused, don't know what to do. any idea would be helpful. Thanks
As far as I know you can write the test anywhere in the states or in Canada the AVMA has a list of the locations

As far as I know you can write the test anywhere in the states or in Canada the AVMA has a list of the locations
Hi it not like that. you should register for ECFVG first, give them the money ($1400), send the all documents etc, then you can apply for CPE... so it is not that much easy..

Last edited:
Hey there! I got my DVM from the University of the Philippines in 09. I say if you want to get your veterinary education in the Philippines, go to the best school.
After you finish the four years of vet school, return to the US and get ready to take the ECFVG (maybe another year or so of studying and another year of externships), and voila,if everything goes well, you will get your license to practice in the US.
This route is definitely much cheaper than going to a US vet school. You just have to deal with the ECFVG afterwards, and a somewhat discrimination in the US for foreign vet grads (haha).

Hi lilacpuddles!
Im also a filipino veterinarian who migrated here in Miami Florida just few days ago. I got my DVM degree from Central Luzon State University last july and took the VLE last august, luckily i passed. Now im worried for my ecfvg certification, firstly because, im not good in english. Second, is that i do not know how to start my review for bcse and navle? And third is the fact that im a newly grad so i haven't tried practicing my profession, my point is, i'm not confident enough taking the CPE part of ecfvg. Would u mind sharing ur experiences to me and giving some advice.?

Dear vets from all over the Earth!

Is it possible to prepare for NAVLE and CPE without working at vet clinic?

What kind of a job possition is possible to take since I'm not a certified vet yet?

There are plenty of different positions available for students and Vets who are still learning. Try to look for internships or different assistant/tech positions. It might be pretty hard to get a Vet position right out of college but if you can start a step down from an actual Veterinary Physician position, then maybe other opportunities will open up. It's tough to break in to the industry once you've graduated but it can be done. I've also seen a variety of Vet jobs and similar positions on https://www.vetpetjobs.com.au/. Not sure if relocating ever crossed your mind, but it might be worth looking into. Starting salaries are much higher in Australia.

I tried it in BCSE preparation, paid $100 and i agree it is crap

Hey folks;
Hi Saidvet, did u finish CPE? can u share your experience?