Forensic Pathology as a future career [Prospects of a US IMG]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simplespring

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am a US international medical student hoping to pursue a career in forensic pathology. I've done extensive research and clinical electives at the forensic department in foreign medical institutions but have yet to do any in the states. After going through all of my hospital rotations, I've become even more convinced that this is the specialty for me (despite the lack of "traditional" direct patient care).

Now, I have 2 questions in mind:
1. Is this a good career choice in terms of current and future job market demands?
2. Are the programs (residency and fellowship) relatively US IMG friendly?

According to some posts on this forum, Pathology doesn't seem to have a very good outlook; contrary to predicted future trends of market growth...
I was wondering if the same can be said about forensic pathology.

If this kind of forum has already been created in the past, I would really appreciate if anyone could link me to it!
Regardless, some opinions regarding current trends and future outlooks would be very helpful.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

One way to only do only one fellowship post residency. Good job market.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m also a US IMG in my first year of practice as a forensic pathologist. I’m happy to answer any other questions if you’d like to PM me!

1 - Yes, the job market is very open and you’re almost certain to find the position you are looking for.

2 - They are!

PLD24

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much to everyone who replied!

I’m also a US IMG in my first year of practice as a forensic pathologist. I’m happy to answer any other questions if you’d like to PM me!

1 - Yes, the job market is very open and you’re almost certain to find the position you are looking for.

2 - They are!

PLD24

I really appreciated this input! The fact that it's coming from someone who is also a fellow US IMG was very heartwarming as well. Hope you do not mind me taking up your offer to PM you for your insight in the future :giggle:

Got some chuckles out of @Torsed and @y2k_free_radical 's replies too which was a plus!

Thank you again!