PhD/PsyD Forensic Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyHike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm currently enrolled in Master's program in Forensic psychology. The field is fascinating, and the topics discussed resonate with me quite a bit. My question is: what's next? Did anyone here finish PhD in Forensic Psychology (like the one offered at UOIT, for example) or at least Clinical PhD with Forensic concentration? What kind of jobs can I expect to find? I'm not sure how applicable this field is outside of academia (and the number of positions in academia is not going up, unfortunately). My primary focus is US and Canada. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You want to get trained as a generalist. There isn't really such a thing as just "forensic psychology," in a vacuum, in that forensic psych at its core is centered around the application of psychological science and thinking to circumscribed psycho-legal issues. There are some phd programs that are known for producing research specific to psycholegal issues (i.e, Alabama, sam Houston), however, most of the people I have met in the field were initially trained as a generalist at phd or psyd programs. Learn how to be a psychologist first, then learn how to apply what you learn there to those psycho-legal constructs (through further specialized training in practica, internship, postdoc, or outside supervision/consultation).

What kind of jobs can I expect to find? I'm not sure how applicable this field is outside of academia (and the number of positions in academia is not going up, unfortunately).

public sector evaluation jobs at state psychiatric hospitals, prisons, non-profit forensic centers; private sector jobs where you bill hourly; contract gigs with agencies to complete evaluations; etc...

Reactions: 1 user
You want to get trained as a generalist. There isn't really such a thing as just "forensic psychology," in a vacuum, in that forensic psych at its core is centered around the application of psychological science and thinking to circumscribed psycho-legal issues. There are some phd programs that are known for producing research specific to psycholegal issues (i.e, Alabama, sam Houston), however, most of the people I have met in the field were initially trained as a generalist at phd or psyd programs. Learn how to be a psychologist first, then learn how to apply what you learn there to those psycho-legal constructs (through further specialized training in practica, internship, postdoc, or outside supervision/consultation).

public sector evaluation jobs at state psychiatric hospitals, prisons, non-profit forensic centers; private sector jobs where you bill hourly; contract gigs with agencies to complete evaluations; etc...

Thank you for your reply! I figured I have to get clinical training first (that's why program at UOIT surprised me with Forensic Psychology PhD without practicum component), but do I have to be actively counselling during the job? I fully understand that research can be good basically just at academia, which is not bad, but I do not think I will make a great counsellor. So do those evaluation jobs you were talking about usually include just evaluation or the whole therapeutic ride?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. I have a masters in forensic psych and am currently in a psyd program. There are tons of forensic opportunities in the field, but its a very broad topic so im not sure what your exact interests are? Do you like working with offenders, victims, assessments, research, custody evals..? If you want to pm me with some interests, id be happy to tell you some of the work ive done and work ive seen available

Hello. I have a masters in forensic psych and am currently in a psyd program. There are tons of forensic opportunities in the field, but its a very broad topic so im not sure what your exact interests are? Do you like working with offenders, victims, assessments, research, custody evals..? If you want to pm me with some interests, id be happy to tell you some of the work ive done and work ive seen available

Thanks for the reply! I do enjoy research as far as I have done some by now. I didn't have any experience working with offenders or assessments, but, as I stated in a message above, I'm not entirely interested in being a therapist, so perhaps doing assessments is great, but not treating offenders/victims. I'm more interested in research and contributing to the body of knowledge this way.

You're seeing more and more that the language has shifted in the types of programs you'd likely be interested in from Forensic Concentration to Forensic Specialization and now, most recently, Forensic Emphasis. The subtle shift is an effort to get more in line with the idea that a "Forensic Psychologist" is first and foremost a Clinical Psychologist who then later applies his/her training in a legal/forensic context.

I graduated from a clinical program with such a focus. For those that go into practice, there's a higher rate that (consciously) enter more purely clinical work than you'd imagine. From those that stay along the lines of forensic practice, here's a non-exhaustive list of some options:

Mental Health Court evaluations (usually involves diagnostic clarification and violence risk assessment)
Corrections-based treatment and assessment
Bureau of Prisons (competence and criminal responsibility evaluations)
Sexually Violent Predator evaluations
Forensic hospital treatment (community reintegration)
Police psychologist (e.g., mental health screening of applicants, Fitness for Duty evals)

Many times this work is part of someone's broader clinical practice. The demand often simply isn't there to make forensic evals 100% of someone's work. You're more likely to find that in a position like within the Bureau of Prisons, but again supply is limited.

Thank you for the elaborate response! Do you know of people who stayed in research-based positions in academia or anywhere else with clinical degree with forensic emphasis (even if it is one of their many jobs due to demand)?

You're seeing more and more that the language has shifted in the types of programs you'd likely be interested in from Forensic Concentration to Forensic Specialization and now, most recently, Forensic Emphasis. The subtle shift is an effort to get more in line with the idea that a "Forensic Psychologist" is first and foremost a Clinical Psychologist who then later applies his/her training in a legal/forensic context.

I graduated from a clinical program with such a focus. For those that go into practice, there's a higher rate that (consciously) enter more purely clinical work than you'd imagine. From those that stay along the lines of forensic practice, here's a non-exhaustive list of some options:

Mental Health Court evaluations (usually involves diagnostic clarification and violence risk assessment)
Corrections-based treatment and assessment
Bureau of Prisons (competence and criminal responsibility evaluations)
Sexually Violent Predator evaluations
Police psychologist (e.g., mental health screening of applicants, Fitness for Duty evals)

Many times this work is part of someone's broader clinical practice. The demand often simply isn't there to make forensic evals 100% of someone's work. You're more likely to find that in a position like within the Bureau of Prisons, but again supply is limited.

here's a non-exhaustive list of some options:

Point of order: Police Psychology is now its own specialty in ABPP.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the elaborate response! Do you know of people who stayed in research-based positions in academia or anywhere else with clinical degree with forensic emphasis (even if it is one of their many jobs due to demand)?

I'm faculty and continue to run research. Looking at prior programs from the American Psychology-Law Society conference is a quick and dirty way to get a sense of the names and universities that regularly produce forensically focused research (just remember to check the topics, as it's a conference for all psych-law research, not just clinically focused).

Thank you! I will definitely check it out.

I'm faculty and continue to run research. Looking at prior programs from the American Psychology-Law Society conference is a quick and dirty way to get a sense of the names and universities that regularly produce forensically focused research (just remember to check the topics, as it's a conference for all psych-law research, not just clinically focused).