Forensics Psychiatry Interview Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grace1408

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have been fortunate enough to receive a few interview invites for different forensics programs. Does anyone have any insight or advice for going into the interviews? I am really nervous as I don't anyone going through this process, and I have no idea how forensics interviews are structured or what questions applicants are asked. Any advice would be very helpful!! Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Receiving a few interview invites is a good indication that you're qualified for a fellowship spot.

My experience interviewing for forensic fellowship left me feeling that the process is more transparent than residency or medical school interviews. I cannot speak to the structure of a virtual interview, but the interview day has a familiar structure. You meet with the current fellows casually and sometimes they will also interview you formally. You'll meet with the fellowship program director and other faculty. Two programs that I interviewed at also had me meet with their psychology faculty to discuss research opportunities. The questions fell into the themes of "Why forensics? Why this program? Any preference for criminal vs civil? Are you aware that forensics is more than just working at a jail/prison? What's your experience? What do you want to learn?"

There is also a more subtle line of questioning regarding your experience with receiving and responding to criticism. They also try to figure out how you handle work-related stress. You'll benefit from presenting yourself as authentically as possible.

Unlike residency interviews, the process of receiving and accepting an offer for forensic fellowship varies widely. Some programs will offer you a spot at the conclusion of your interview. Some will call or email you a day or a week later to offer you a spot. Some programs say nothing but will be responsive to you calling and asking for a spot. Some programs will offer you a spot only after another applicant turns their offer down. In general, you should at least interview at your top programs before accepting any offer. Be polite and stay in contact with the programs you're serious about.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! Receiving a few interview invites is a good indication that you're qualified for a fellowship spot.

My experience interviewing for forensic fellowship left me feeling that the process is more transparent than residency or medical school interviews. I cannot speak to the structure of a virtual interview, but the interview day has a familiar structure. You meet with the current fellows casually and sometimes they will also interview you formally. You'll meet with the fellowship program director and other faculty. Two programs that I interviewed at also had me meet with their psychology faculty to discuss research opportunities. The questions fell into the themes of "Why forensics? Why this program? Any preference for criminal vs civil? Are you aware that forensics is more than just working at a jail/prison? What's your experience? What do you want to learn?"

There is also a more subtle line of questioning regarding your experience with receiving and responding to criticism. They also try to figure out how you handle work-related stress. You'll benefit from presenting yourself as authentically as possible.

Unlike residency interviews, the process of receiving and accepting an offer for forensic fellowship varies widely. Some programs will offer you a spot at the conclusion of your interview. Some will call or email you a day or a week later to offer you a spot. Some programs say nothing but will be responsive to you calling and asking for a spot. Some programs will offer you a spot only after another applicant turns their offer down. In general, you should at least interview at your top programs before accepting any offer. Be polite and stay in contact with the programs you're serious about.

Best of luck!
Wow thank you so much for this information!! This is really helpful!