Forget Scutwork, Let's make some $$$$

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idoc

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may just be a pipe dream, but then again so was the thought of matching in ophtho when I started med school. Anyways, with the vast number of quality people who religiously participate in discussions on this board, we have a resource that is potentially worth something tangible. Here is my idea. We all need to collaborate on writing an insiders guide to the ophthalmology match, complete with reviews of each program, statistics of board scores, personal stories of what helped/hurt, interview questions, where applied vs interviewed, and all the other stuff that we now know, and were starving to find out less than a year ago. I am going to have about 3 months off before residency that I don't know what to do with. So, let me know what the consensus of opinions is, and if anyone would be willing to collaborate.

idoc.

Members don't see this ad.

or, you could do that and post it for free on this forum for the benefit and gratitude of those that come after you as people have been doing for several years!

I don't understand why you would wish to make money on the broke individuals who are paying to apply for residency/paying to get to their interviews/paying to take their boards etc etc.

Since you have just gone through the process it amazes me that you would want to benefit from it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's a great idea. If you don't mind muddling through all of the past posts over the last year to find out the answers to all of your match questions, then by all means, read up and don't buy the book. This discussion board isn't going anywhere. There will inevitably be new issues that the book didn't cover or changes to the information. Some people, however, would probably like to have a condensed, organized source of info, and wouldn't mind paying a few dollas for it. You likely paid several $1000 on the whole application/match process and this book could save you a lot of time, headache, and possibly money if a travel tips section is included.

I'm a second year med student and would buy that book for sure. I would also be willing to contribute information for a second or third edition in a few years.

There is not always a disconnect between helping people and making money.

I have a couple of points that I would like you to consider before you pop-off...
1. I wished there was a book like this before I started this process. If there had been I would have gladly purchased it without disdain in my heart towards the capitalistic pigs who wrote it. (Kinda like first aid for the boards).

2. I have been a major advocate of organizing information for future applicants. Please read my previous posts, and look at who started the thread read over 19,000 times entitled "Heard from any programs yet?". I have also suggested in numerous posts that we should share info on board scores, programs etc.

Basically, I want to do this to help future applicants, and to possibly be compensated for my/our efforts. If you don't like that idea then don't buy the book. But don't cut on a guy for trying to make a buck when he is mulitple hundred's of thousands of dollars in debt.

OUT- IDOC

Few would argue that a Dr. who helps a sick patient should go without pay for his/her services. The book, like our medical services, would be a product. People that want a product will pay for it, people that don't won't.

Many students would gladly pay </= $100 to save hours gathering information from questionable sources on the web and elsewhere. If nothing else, the book could be the foundation upon which forums such as this survive. Think of all the posts (either supporting or disagreeing with comments in the book) that such a book would inspire.

Dear idoc,

The book is a good idea and would be really helpful for applicants who come along after us. However, there are a few things you have to think through first.

A book takes a couple of years to publish and the material would be a little out of date. The internet, on the other hand will get your info out there quickly.

Second, the market for a book that only covers ophtho is a particularly small one. If only 800 or so med studs applied for ophtho annually, and only a certain percentage bought the book, there's just not a lot of money to be made there. Many medical students have tried to publish and run into this same problem.

As far as making money goes, I'm all for it. I just don't want to put the time into a project that has limited potential.

As for me, I'll continue to post reviews on the web. I don't care which site it is; and I encourage all to do the same.

Best of luck,

Stark

:idea: +pissed+

Good point, but a person could compile a review of programs, take them to Kinkos and have them bound, and sell them on-line. This whole process would not take more than a few months.

I doubt anybody would get rich, but you could probably sell enough to make it worth your while.

Of course I support the postings on the web too. The more free reviews I can read the better.

BTW--your market would be larger than 800 b/c there are some 1st and 2nd years (as well as a few undergrads from the looks of this page) who are interested in optho at this point. Of course many of them won't ultimately end up in optho, but for now they are part of your market too.