Formalin side effects?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caffeinated

Army Strong
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that nobody really cares for the smell of formalin in the anatomy lab. However, I seem to be having some strange symptoms that other people don't seem to be experiencing. Any time the formalin gets on my skin (even if I wash it off right away), my hands and arms will go numb. After about an hour in the lab, I am not myself; I feel lethargic, depressed, and have trouble concentrating. The effects seem to last for up to a day or so after leaving the lab. I know that others in the lab are not thrilled with the smell, but it doesn't seem to prevent them from getting the work done. After about an hour, I am useless.

This is really bumming me out, because I was looking forward to learning some cool stuff in this class. Now I am just hoping I can make it through the week.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Members don't see this ad.

the only thing i get is dry eyes when i get a little too close. i get numbness on my fingers sometimes, but that's mostly due to holding the scissors or tweezers or whatever they call em too long.

The only thing I got was an itchy, runny nose. Are you sure that it's not just anatomy in general that is making you tired and unable to concentrate?? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some people are allergic to it... they wear gas masks during lab... I'm not really sure what kind of symptoms they get though, sorry.

I thought about that. But when I study I don't have the problems, even when I study hard. It's definitely correlated with being physically present in the lab. Although you do have a point--I am getting absolutely nothing out of anatomy lab, and I am horrible at dissection. It's turning out to be a big disappointment.

Originally posted by KyGrlDr2B
The only thing I got was an itchy, runny nose. Are you sure that it's not just anatomy in general that is making you tired and unable to concentrate?? ;)

If you really think that it is affecting you, you need to wear the gas mask.

Unless you think that you can pass without going to the lab. . .

formalin acutaly stimulates hunger. have you noticed that everyone in lab is hungry by the end of the lab

Originally posted by mikegoal
formalin acutaly stimulates hunger. have you noticed that everyone in lab is hungry by the end of the lab

It is the formalin? ...in my gross lab we thought maybe it was some sort of primal instinct when around, you know, meat.

I doubt formalin makes people hungry. My guess would be the glycerol - which is overpowered by the smell of formalin but still stimulates the receptors, causing one to feel hungry over time.

As to the weird reaction of formalin - you could be allergic to it. Or you could have a latex allergy to the latex glove.

Or it could be psycho-somatic. It's like in chem lab when you spill a liquid onto your skin - some people start feeling numb, or weird sensation on their skin or complain of a burning sensation - but when they realize the liquid was "distill water", their symptoms went away.

Or it could be that I don't know what I'm talking about since I'm just a first year osteopathic quack =)

Anyway, gotta run - it's duck hunting season time in the allopathic world - must stay low and hide

quack quack quack

It is DEFINITELY possible to be allergic to formalin. I had a classmate who was truly allergic and would get a contact dermatitis with even the slightest touch of formalin.

I had weird GI issues with the smell of the formalin that would start after about three hous into lab and then build gradually and subside five, maybe six hours after lab was over. I think it was physical in the beginning but ended up being a pretty strong Pavlovian thing by the end of the semester. But, just like you're describing, it made the lab experience pretty miserable and it was tough to learn. I ended up wearing a gas mask from Home Depot with a little filter that worked really well. Surgical ones didn't really help.

Bottom line, give the mask a shot. It might help!

about the numbness in your hands, have you tried wearing nitrile gloves instead of latex? the first few times i was in lab and was wearing latex gloves, my hands were REALLY numb afterwards... but i switched to wearing nitrile ones and haven't had a problem since (PLUS it seems the smell doesn't get through onto your hands as much). of course, this is just what i've observed so far. hope you figure it out soon!

all very good advice.

my major formalin experience is an absence of libido. that lasts at least eight to ten hours after leaving the gross anatomy lab.

;)