Format of LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Particleinabox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, some of my professors and research advisers have asked me about the format of the LOR and I don't know what to tell them. One even told me to basically write it myself and they would put in more (he's lazy). So, I know there's no explicit format.. but what should I say? Anyone have input?

Members don't see this ad.

Month Day, Year

To Whom it May Concern,

It is with great pleasure that I write a letter of recommendation for _____________'s application to medical school. I know _____________ very well. I first met him/her in _____________ when _____________. Over the last _____________ I have had the privilege of mentoring _____________ in his/her decision to pursue a career in medicine.

I am very impressed at how _____________ has _____________. He/she also has _____________. I am convinced that his/her commitment to medicine is genuine and he/she will become an excellent physician.

_____________ is a gifted _____________ which will serve him/her well in medicine. I saw this firsthand as _____________. He/she is routinely able to _____________. He/she has _____________ which will translate well into medicine.

In summary, I give _____________ my highest recommendation. I have no doubt that _____________ will be a great asset to his/her medical school and will become a compassionate and successful physician.

Sincerely,

cross-posting

So, some of my professors and research advisers have asked me about the format of the LOR and I don't know what to tell them. One even told me to basically write it myself and they would put in more (he's lazy). So, I know there's no explicit format.. but what should I say? Anyone have input?

I had this exact question... If i could add an employer(pharmacist i work for) that would be perfect. :thumbup:

op thank you for the great question, and thanks for the replies guys/gals

Members don't see this ad :)
is that an actual accepted format ?? or is that homegrown?

i'm not sure what you mean by "accepted" format. it's very close to an actual letter that a physician i shadowed wrote for me. not saying it's a great letter, but if your letter-writer is too lazy to come up with something original, it's a lot better than whatever else you could expect from them :)

Anyone else have any input or comments on what they've had written about them?

Our prehealth advisers gave us this to give to our recommenders, i thought it was good and thorough.

Attachments

• writing_recomendations.pdf
    162.7 KB · Views: 149
Our prehealth advisers gave us this to give to our recommenders, i thought it was good and thorough.

i think with this and the above posted format my pharmacist should be able to write something great.

thank you guys for this!:thumbup: