Formula Derivations in Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndianVercetti

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the MCAT, how important are physics formula derivations? I'm only halfway through my sophomore year right now, so just beginning to start some preliminary MCAT prep, so I wasn't sure about this.

Just wondering if I should really focus on all these insane derivations for simple formulas while I'm taking my physics course.

Members don't see this ad.

The only reason you'd need to learn these truly is if your professor requires them for class. Obviously, ANYTHING has potential to be helpful on MCAT, but derivations certainly aren't high yield.

What's more important is if you can look at a formula that's given (and one you're unfamiliar with) and figure out where to plug things in and what it means. You'll need to also know basic formulas... the rest will be given to you.

A general advice...
Do not mix MCAT prep w/ ur regular courses. Your courses require very indepth knowledge of the material and u must be able to solve very complex physics probs. If you try to treat ur physics course as a prep for MCAT u may end up not doing so well in ur course.

But if you do study in depth for ur course, then u r well set for the MCAT.
so it is applicalbe only from one side.

The subject material may be same but both require entirely different skills.

Forget about derivations! Unless you're in an upper level physics course, forget about derivations in class too! Just make sure to remember the main equations for the MCAT (found in all review books), and have a good time plugging and chugging. Also, make sure to check units as those scandalous exam writers like to F with you.