ru4real1666

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2009
Status
I'm posting in the general surgery forum because I'd like more information on what people think are the most important electives/subinternships for a to-be surgeon. I will be applying on orthopedics, but I would like to have a strong foundation in managing complicated patients, especially surgical patients.

Half of my fourth year will be spent doing orthopedics aways, but the other half is open. I was thinking of doing the following

(1) IM sub-internship
(2) Medicine ICU sub-internship (can't do this without #1)
(3) Surgery ICU sub-internship
(4) maybe a trauma surgery rotation

Other things I was thinking about were possibly
(1) General Surgery sub-internship
(2) Plastic surgery sub-internship

Obviously I won't have time to do all of the above, but if anyone can recommend a game plan or chime in as to what they think, I would really appreciate it! Thanks so much. You guys are the best!

TraumaLlamaMD

Licensed to chill
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd pick SICU over MICU. Trauma will be nice in terms of seeing the initial presentation of sick patients who often have ortho (and other surgical) issues - and following them as they recover is enlightening too. You might even consider a sports medicine (non-operative) or an anesthesia rotation, since I think it's really helpful to know a bit about the jobs of people who you'll work closely with, in order to communicate more easily.

Reactions: Winged Scapula
OP
ru4real1666

ru4real1666

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2009
Status
So you want to be an orthopod and want to manage complicated surgical patients...Have you rotated on ortho?
Ha. Yes. I know. It's...contradictory to say the least. But at least while I'm a resident, I want to be deal with whatever is thrown at me. And most of that is learned during residency, but I'd like to get an exposure while I'm in medical school.

Reactions: Pir8DeacDoc

WinslowPringle

5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ha. Yes. I know. It's...contradictory to say the least. But at least while I'm a resident, I want to be deal with whatever is thrown at me. And most of that is learned during residency, but I'd like to get an exposure while I'm in medical school.
I think that's admirable and a good idea.

Practically, though, is it going to work? Your attending and seniors will probably dictate a lot of the critical patient management. In some places ICUs are closed, so ortho wouldn't be primary then. And where I am now, ortho isn't primary on most of their patients - typically medicine is.

Personally, I wouldn't do that many sub-i's. Do your required sub-i (ortho if it counts, general surgery otherwise). The trauma rotation would be good - lots of ortho issues and critical care exposure. Maybe a single ICU rotation. You'll be working hard enough with the ortho aways - enjoy the rest of your year. Oh, and radiology would probably be pretty helpful (and decent hours), too, if you get a chance.

DoctwoB

7+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree with much of the above. I would avoid additional SubIs, you're going to have rough hours the next several years, enjoy the end of fourth year. In terms of potentially useful electives:
-I agree with radiology, usually good hours, and can be a very good experience as long as its not just shadowing people in reading rooms
-You're going to be dealing with a lot of post-op surgical issues that come up, meaning DVTs, MIs, PEs, strokes, etc so doing things like cards, heme, stroke etc. certainly wouldn't go amiss. Orthopods will consult out a lot of those issues, but getting the initialy workup right and early recognition can be key
-If you haven't had any ICU exposure, then a ICU rotation is just a good general learning experience.

Reactions: Winged Scapula