Fraternity/Sorority Leadership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some good involvments from fraternity leadership activities (treasurer, vice-president), I'm not relying on these in my application process but it would be nice if they made a difference. I've heard that med schools do not care about fraternity/sorority leadership positions is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

i dont knwo the asnwer to your question...

but actual question is do you believe the person that told you this?

are you guys a community service frat? if so i would think that would be a good way to practice leadership by serving the community.

if not known for being a community service frat....then dont know what to say.

So far, I have received fairly positive comments from several interviewers about my fraternity leadership (Treasurer, Rush Chair, House Manager). One of my interviewers even started reminiscing about his college days in his fraternity house. I would imagine that med schools would treat fraternity/sorority leadership in a similar manner to other leadership positions (although in my experience greek leadership is much more time consuming than with other organizations).

UMich mentioned my fraternity leadership in their acceptance letter so it must have been a factor.

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
it matters as much as any other leadership position matters. it shows you had a life outside of school. if you did community service it will help even more--- as long as your grades were equal in measure. (if they suddenly dropped the year you pledged it won't look so good).

I got asked specifically about the committee I chaired in my fraternity by an interviewer at a school I eventually got in at. So he must've cared. It's definitely not a bad thing, and I would include it on your AMCAS.

This can go either way. A friend of mine got asked in an interview a few years back "What does a sorority girl from Johnson County possibly have to offer?"

(Johnson County...yuppie area right outside of KC, full of filthy rich people)

She didn't get in.

When I asked "what sets an applicant apart?" to an an interviewer at Vanderbilt, he said "oh, I dunno... plays three instruments well, speaks three languages, is president of his frat...".

I think it depends on your interviewer. Some of them are impressed by it, some are not. (Come to think of it, most of the stuff you stick on your AMCAS seems to fall under this category. A given interviewer could either be totally impressed or totally disinterested, depending on the interviewer and their mood.)

--Funkless