Mentioning union leadership on an application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clowndoodlefish

Reaction score
I work in a healthcare field and started as a low key position as a union officer and was recently voted in as president. Will mentioning this on my application, particularly when it comes to leadership, make me look like a troublemaker / problem student? Is this a case of it entirely depends on the spin I put on it? Applying next application cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

It's leadership. It depends on what issues you have had to address with leadership and your tactfulness in coming to consensus. It makes it easier for you to discuss teamwork and conflict management. If a school thinks you're a troublemaker, don't apply there.

Reactions: 1 users
I work in a healthcare field and started as a low key position as a union officer and was recently voted in as president. Will mentioning this on my application, particularly when it comes to leadership, make me look like a troublemaker / problem student? Is this a case of it entirely depends on the spin I put on it? Applying next application cycle.
Union president is leadership. However, what you did as a leader and union officer could be confrontational or consensus building. It could be advocacy, team work, or conflict aggravation. How you portray and what you emphasize about your role, will influence greatly how the experience is perceived and consequently how you will be perceived..

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users