Step II Free 150

Started by clement
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

clement

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is medfriends calculator off for the free 150? It says 70% is a 180??

Seems like free 150 was more popular with step 1 test-takers. I didn't think it was all that easy, anyone? Please? Must. Stop. Freaking. Out.

Reply!

EDIT: I guess it's not 150 questions, but you get the point...
 
Last edited:
i dont know how it messures up with a %, but i had 2 questions that were exactly the same on the real test as the 150. i think doing them and knowing the answers is worth it.
 
i dont know how it messures up with a %, but i had 2 questions that were exactly the same on the real test as the 150. i think doing them and knowing the answers is worth it.

The problem is I DID do the free 150...Now I'm wondering how the percentiles match up to the medfriends calculator vs actual scores? According the calculator a 70% is a 180 on step 2.
NBME 4 was roughly 30 points higher for me last week. So which do I trust if I'm taking the test in a week or so?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else have insight? I thought the free questions had a fair amount where it was more straight-forward than UW but others where the questions were loooonng and with way fewer clues than UW. Anyway, I'm still concerned that a 70% on those is a 180 per medfriends? I tend to trust the nbme's more but still...
 
Anyone else have insight? I thought the free questions had a fair amount where it was more straight-forward than UW but others where the questions were loooonng and with way fewer clues than UW. Anyway, I'm still concerned that a 70% on those is a 180 per medfriends? I tend to trust the nbme's more but still...

what is the free 150? is this a question set? where can one obtain this from?
 
Last edited:
looking back on some experiences... heres what i saw..

ppl scoring in the range of 80's were in the 99.

one person scored 73% and scored 97 (his uw avg. was 57%)

so medfriends doesnt seem to be accurate at all in this one.

if you put in 75% on it.. it gives you 197.. yikes.😱



For those who are wondering where these q's come from..

http://www.usmle.org/Orientation/2010/menu.html

http://www.medfriends.org/step2_estimator/index.htm


Lany,
Thanks so much for your post. Yea I looked through the Step 2 experiences thread but the thing is, a lot of people didn't say WHEN they took the free test...Since I took it a week before my exam, I got my panties in a tangle. Just to update everyone...Naturally I feaked out after I took the free 137 (and...some questions in that free test were harder than the nbme q's and longer...kinda scared me as far as question length).

anyway, the next day after I got 70% (equivalent of 180 per medfriends), I took NBME 2, which seemed a lot easier than nbme 4, but anyway, I got a 217 or a 224 (per medfriends)....assume nbme tests are more accurate than medfriends! i'm guessing/hoping the free usmle test score converter is definitely wrong within a certain range of percentiles....from what I hear nbme 2 is pretty good at predicting but it did seem a lot more straight forward than world. I'm about to finish my second round of world...The first time through I went by subject and got a 51% cumulative (while going through each rotation, except IM). The second time through I'm getting 65% random, timed, cumulative. Hopefully the jump is not just because I'm remembering a few questions from before, but regardless, remembering them is still good!
 
Last edited: