Free Airline Miles on United

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry mods, I know this is pre-allo, but I thought his offer looked really good for any students about to graduate from college. Can you leave it where people will see it for a day or so? It would have been nice if I knew about this before I graduated.

Current college (or grad students) If you sign up for United's Mileage Plus (free) and then enroll in United's student program (also free) you get 10,000 free miles just for getting your degree. Combine that with flights for interviews, and you've got a reward ticket pretty quickly.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,3106,00.html

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP

Well I thought it was a valuable freebie offer for anybody about to graduate soon.

Can you get 10,000 miles per degree earned?

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming the first was within the past 12 mos.

Assuming the first was within the past 12 mos.

Yes, you can get 10,000 miles per degree.

BUT you have to have already signed up for both their Mileage Plus program and their student specific program BEFORE you graduated. Those are both free.

I missed out for both of my degrees because I wasn't part of their student program before I graduated. However, I believe it applies for med students too once you graduate.

Sweet deal. I'm game. Thanks OP

No restrictions or required purchases??

Its too late for me - but if its for real I'll definitely sick my bf on it so he can get a few free flights to visit me in DC next year.

Well it's about 25,000 miles required for a free ticket from Detroit to Fort Myers. Doesn't help a whole lot for that but it's nice nonetheless if I travel somewhere. However, United is a horrible airline since the prices are horrid. The only places I would go to are Florida or Mexico and Spirit flies there at better prices.

Well it's about 25,000 miles required for a free ticket from Detroit to Fort Myers. Doesn't help a whole lot for that but it's nice nonetheless if I travel somewhere. However, United is a horrible airline since the prices are horrid. The only places I would go to are Florida or Mexico and Spirit flies there at better prices.

Really? For some reason I always thought the miles awards were 1:1 - which wouldn't really make sense now that I think about it.

Yeah I don't know a whole lot about it since I usually go with southwest. Which I think I will continue to do. 25k for that short of flight is a lot - don't want to know what Cali-->DC would require.

Yes, you can get 10,000 miles per degree.

BUT you have to have already signed up for both their Mileage Plus program and their student specific program BEFORE you graduated. Those are both free.

I missed out for both of my degrees because I wasn't part of their student program before I graduated. However, I believe it applies for med students too once you graduate.

hey thanks for the advice!

Really? For some reason I always thought the miles awards were 1:1 - which wouldn't really make sense now that I think about it.

Yeah I don't know a whole lot about it since I usually go with southwest. Which I think I will continue to do. 25k for that short of flight is a lot - don't want to know what Cali-->DC would require.

I sometimes think 25K for a short but expensive ticket is worth it--like if you were going to a small city with high airfares (like Rapid City, SD). Sometimes the airlines run specials where you can get short hops like NYC to Boston or Dallas to Houston for 15K instead of 25K...I recall American doing that from time to time.

25k for that short of flight is a lot - don't want to know what Cali-->DC would require.
You need to use 25,000 miles for any domestic US flight, regardless of length. An international flight is 50,000 miles.

But there are always specials and whatnot where you can use fewer miles.

Free miles? In.

Yeah, it takes 25K (and sometimes double that during peak travel days). But if you get United's credit card, you get 20,000 free miles for that too (and it is fee free the first year). So if you combined the two, you could get a free flight.

United has hubs in LAX, SFO and at IAD (Washington Dulles) so it's good for flying between DC and California (as I've learned). It's nice because you don't have to stop in the middle of the country, where the weather may be bad.

No, I do not work for United, although I think it is a pretty good quality airline. :)