free kaplan mcat test events = harder than normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glamqueen

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took their free mcat they offer at their free events today, and I scored an 18. A 6 in Phys Sci, a 5 in Bio, and a 7 in Verbal. I haven't taken any organic yet or Physics 2, and I took Gen Chem 1 years ago, so I need to do more review to remember the basics (although apparently I can't do gen chem 2 pretty well). Anyway, the only section I was shocked at was verbal. I've been scoring 10's and 11's with Examkrackers, and I just took the verbal (free sample) off the AAMC website, and I scored a 10. Does Kaplan just make these free test things extra hard to convince people to take the class or what? Or did I just lose my head for a bit in verbal today?

What should I trust?

Is this also a good place to start? I'm taking next April, and I am taking a Kaplan class from Oct - April to prepare (as well as finishing the last three pre-req classes).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if it is harder, but my guess is yes.

In terms of your scores, even if that is your real score, you're fine. The test is a long way off and you have plenty of time to study.
Use the score as a motivator and get started!

if you are missing course material, dont even worry about your score, you should be doing that bad.

as for verbal, ive scored 8s and 11s on verbal sections scored 2 days apart, random variation can sometimes attribute to the score differences in small sample size, i think it may be a bit too muc hto say its intentionally harder.

i think people just assume that cause it makes sense from a business standpoint. But you have to remember, I dont think kaplan needs to do that, the MCAT is a hard exam! If you haven't been studying for a month or two ur not going to do well unless youre just a natural, kaplan knows this, they dont need to pump harder questions into the free ones

Good point. I imagine not knowing organic from Greek might have hurt me, as well as the fact that the phys sci section was nearly all phys 2 rather than a mix of 1 and 2. And who knows...I'm in need of practice for verbal for sure, because I want to learn to raise my score even more. I suppose this is a decent place to start!