Free Resource! Add your favorite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mirandalola

Reaction score
I just found an online neuroscience textbook from McGovern Med School: https://nba.uth.tmc.edu/neuroscience/ I am loving this and wishing I had found it a month ago!

What's your favorite free study resource?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Khan academy for psychology and just general review is amazing. I'm also a huge fan of @MCATKINGS 300 page psychology document!! Next step also has a free exam resource bundle that you can access in my signature.

Khan academy is really hit-or-miss for me. Some of their videos seem really badly organized, and they seem pretty entry-level, but the practice questions after the videos test concepts never discussed in the videos. I love the idea of Khan Academy but the execution needs some refinement. If it were the only free resource available I would have to buy something!

I think the quality of their questions is a bit lacking, but the video sets for biology, biochemistry, and p/s are very comprehensive. A lot of the c/p videos were made before the actual mcat partnership so those seem a bit disorganized, but the other sections I like a lot. As far as question practice goes, I would look at a third-party source and of course the AAMC material.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to agree with Mirandalola about Khan videos. I abandoned them early because that time could be spent so much more productively. I found they were too general to help with what the MCAT questions were asking me and often too superficial to help me with passages. They are the bomb for P/S, but the 300 page document is more efficient. The best free resources I found were the P/S document (thank you MCATkings) and the SDN Q&A forum.

I'm also of the mindset that I want the best materials for preparing, free or not. If the best thing for P/S is free, then awesome. If the best thing for physics costs me $70, I'm going to pay. I'm applying right now and it costs so much $$$ that the $1000 I spent on MCAT materials is nothing.

I have to agree with Mirandalola about Khan videos. I abandoned them early because that time could be spent so much more productively. I found they were too general to help with what the MCAT questions were asking me and often too superficial to help me with passages. They are the bomb for P/S, but the 300 page document is more efficient. The best free resources I found were the P/S document (thank you MCATkings) and the SDN Q&A forum.

I'm also of the mindset that I want the best materials for preparing, free or not. If the best thing for P/S is free, then awesome. If the best thing for physics costs me $70, I'm going to pay. I'm applying right now and it costs so much $$$ that the $1000 I spent on MCAT materials is nothing.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who didn't find KA useful! I hear so many people saying "Khan Academy is AWESOME!!!" I wondered if there was something wrong with me...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who didn't find KA useful! I hear so many people saying "Khan Academy is AWESOME!!!" I wondered if there was something wrong with me...

I heard a lot of people saying KA videos were the bomb. Then pretty much everyone I know that raved about KA videos and the 7 book set as their core resource had to repeat the MCAT. They really don't prepare people that well, except for the P/S section.

Khan academy is really hit-or-miss for me. Some of their videos seem really badly organized, and they seem pretty entry-level, but the practice questions after the videos test concepts never discussed in the videos. I love the idea of Khan Academy but the execution needs some refinement. If it were the only free resource available I would have to buy something!

Yeah that's why i didn't watch the videos, and instead condensed those Khan Academy notes into Anki flashcards and actively reviewed them daily. But that's just me since i learn more from doing flashcards than watching videos.

I only watched videos for content review. Zero time using books because I don’t like textbooks and everything is in video form these days. I recommend MCAT Self-Prep for a free resource that has all the videos compiled by subject. You can pay $10 and get a tailored study plan that adapts as you do AAMC practice questions (I know, not free, but close)

Did the 86 page notes for P/S and got a 130 in that section

I heard a lot of people saying KA videos were the bomb. Then pretty much everyone I know that raved about KA videos and the 7 book set as their core resource had to repeat the MCAT. They really don't prepare people that well, except for the P/S section.

What "7 book set" are you referring to?