Frequency and wavelength

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inaccensa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a little confused now..

So, frequency remains constant when light travels from one medium to another. If it travels into a medium with a higher index of refraction, the velocity decreases and since V and lambda and directly proportional, shouldn't wavelength decrease as well?

In open and closed pipes, why is the frequency changing?

For sounds, velocity is constant in a medium and not the frequency, is that the reason?

Members don't see this ad.

Your first question:

V=(Lambda)f
When passing through a medium, frequency ALWAYS stays the same. the velocity of light and lambda change (both go up or both go down) in order for f to stay the same.

Question 3:
Frequency is constant only if two objects are moving at a constant speed relative to one another. If two people are talking to each other while standing still, V and f are both the same. But when one person is standing and the other person is a car thats driving away, during the period when the car is accelerating, the f is not constant, however once the car reaches a constant velocity, f becomes constant as well.

Actually it wasn't a third Q, it was my ans in response to the 2nd q. I'm not sure if i'm thinking about pipes correctly.