Freshman D.O. hopeful looking for some guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OUBobcat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a freshman @ Ohio University majoring in Biological Sciences. My endgame goal is to attend medical school right here in Athens at OU-HCOM. I just finished up my first semester with a 4.00 gap. Next semester I will be volunteering at a local hospital on Sunday's for 3 hours, and peer tutoring 6-7 hours a week. Moreover, I plan to do these activities each semester, while also becoming an SI leader sometime. In addition, I will be shadowing D.O. physicians from time to time and heavily this summer. I was wondering if I want to be competitive when it is time for me to start worrying about applying to med school, if I should take up more activities next fall, such as join a club or pursue research during the school year? I would love to help a prof research, however I would like to leave my pre-junior summer wide open for the MCAT. Any info or guidance is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am a freshman @ Ohio University majoring in Biological Sciences. My endgame goal is to attend medical school right here in Athens at OU-HCOM. I just finished up my first semester with a 4.00 gap. Next semester I will be volunteering at a local hospital on Sunday's for 3 hours, and peer tutoring 6-7 hours a week. Moreover, I plan to do these activities each semester, while also becoming an SI leader sometime. In addition, I will be shadowing D.O. physicians from time to time and heavily this summer. I was wondering if I want to be competitive when it is time for me to start worrying about applying to med school, if I should take up more activities next fall, such as join a club or pursue research during the school year? I would love to help a prof research, however I would like to leave my pre-junior summer wide open for the MCAT. Any info or guidance is appreciated, thanks!

It's good of you to be thinking ahead OP but my advice would be just to do things you enjoy. If you would enjoy joining a specific club then do it, same goes for doing research. Don't be so focused on checking the pre med boxes on your way to med school. Ultimately just earnestly pursuing stuff your enjoy will lead to a great app.

Reactions: 1 user
It's good of you to be thinking ahead OP but my advice would be just to do things you enjoy. If you would enjoy joining a specific club then do it, same goes for doing research. Don't be so focused on checking the pre med boxes on your way to med school. Ultimately just earnestly pursuing stuff your enjoy will lead to a great app.
Keep up the good work with your awesome GPA. start some ECs that you would enjoy. Pick some that you would like to stay for longer time to build relationships to have greater impact and maybe even have some leadership experiences. Find clinical or non-clinical volunteering. Find clinical (direct-patient care) opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aim for MD is my advice.

Reactions: 3 users
Aim for MD is my advice.
I have thought about MD. Especially since Ohio has a few schools and all seem to be good about spreading the love to in states like myself. I will keep working hard and if MD seems to be in the cards, then maybe I'll go that route.

Junior @ OU here, a couple points of advice
  • Keep your focus on classes, it's great to have all the extra circulars and be involved, but don't forget that you still have to get good grades to get in
  • Make sure to meet some of the admissions staff at HCOM even if you're not completely dead set on going there, they're all super nice people and having a face to put to your name when going through applications definitely won't hurt your chances.
  • If you're interested in research there are labs doing just about everything on campus and the great news is most love having undergrads work for them just make sure it's something you really have an interest in
  • As for clubs and activities do things that you'll enjoy and actually be able to talk about when it comes time for interviews because if you can't talk about it then it's not worth the time, Tri beta is a great org if you really do have an interest in research and pre-soma is a great way to hear about different schools, get volunteering hours and some experiences like suture clinics
  • It's never too early to get involved in these things, being involved longer only makes your application better
  • Get to know Ann Lacomb, she's the premed advisor and is an amazing person to talk to about any kind of concerns you have about the process

Read this book:

Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig

ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624

Reactions: 1 users
Junior @ OU here, a couple points of advice
  • Keep your focus on classes, it's great to have all the extra circulars and be involved, but don't forget that you still have to get good grades to get in
  • Make sure to meet some of the admissions staff at HCOM even if you're not completely dead set on going there, they're all super nice people and having a face to put to your name when going through applications definitely won't hurt your chances.
  • If you're interested in research there are labs doing just about everything on campus and the great news is most love having undergrads work for them just make sure it's something you really have an interest in
  • As for clubs and activities do things that you'll enjoy and actually be able to talk about when it comes time for interviews because if you can't talk about it then it's not worth the time, Tri beta is a great org if you really do have an interest in research and pre-soma is a great way to hear about different schools, get volunteering hours and some experiences like suture clinics
  • It's never too early to get involved in these things, being involved longer only makes your application better
  • Get to know Ann Lacomb, she's the premed advisor and is an amazing person to talk to about any kind of concerns you have about the process
I do believe that SOMA is something I would enjoy, even more so than research. However, I have class during the meeting times next semester, so it might have to wait a semester or two. Furthermore, how do you suggest I meet the admissions staff? Literally walk in Grosvenor Hall and greet them? Also, thank you for the post.... Very helpful and makes me feel better about finding research opportunities.

Why do you say this?

Your life will be easier. No OMM, and overall you’ll receive a better education; no need to travel for 3/4 year clinicals. Your clinical skills training in md programs will also be better. And you won’t be facing uncertain effects of the DO/MD merger.

Annnnnd research >>>> SOMA

I go to a DO school and getting a Great education, but kicking myself hard for not taking another year and re-applying

Reactions: 1 user
Your life will be easier. No OMM, and overall you’ll receive a better education; no need to travel for 3/4 year clinicals. Your clinical skills training in md programs will also be better. And you won’t be facing uncertain effects of the DO/MD merger.

Annnnnd research >>>> SOMA

I go to a DO school and getting a Great education, but kicking myself hard for not taking another year and re-applying
I will keep this in mind. Many of my peers say I should try to go MD if it is an option for me. I want to shadow and get to know good physicians from both sides (rec letters :)), and maybe they can shed further light on the subject. My biggest worry is grades and how I will ever find time for research or non clinical volunteering.