freshman schdule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maciekmg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, i searched the forum for posts on sample freshman schedules - couldn't really find anything. I want to know what you guys think, I scheduled for my first semester today, and for some reason i feel paranoid...like I chose the wrong classes? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

RHT 150: Compostition I
PSY 100: Contemp. Psy.
CHM 157: General Chemistry I
Recitation
Lab
Math 141: Pre-Calculus
Lab
Com 101: Collegiate Communication (some sort of freshman intro class)

Am I missing anything? And should I take Com 101 or is it a waste of time?
I'm taking 18 credits so I'm kind of worried...

Members don't see this ad.

although im not at college i been kind of asking the same question. u have to make sure u take all the pre required courses with in the freshman and sophomore year. 18 credits is fine. make sure you take biology

Every school is different. I would go to the career center/pre-health advisor and sit down with them to lay out a 4 year plan (you might have to finish it with a major adviser as well). In that plan they can work with you to knock off all of your school major requirements while completing all of your pre-reqs for dental school.

Don't worry too much about your first term. You could probably take 4 basket weaving classes and still be able to knock everything off later.

By all means take it easy, I would even say drop the com class. If you really want to focus on a pre-health regimen take that first semester at least as a warming up period. Save some free time to meet new people or even better the opposite sex. When you get things figured out then worry about stacking up the other things. You will get better at managing yourself to your own study style or habits with time and those 3rd and 4th years will have plenty of time for you to pile up.

When trying to fill in my schedule as a ugrad, I looked for some BS class that had some implications. Yes, you want to be well rounded, but you can focus some of those other courses and learn a ton of things applicable to dentistry that you can use in an interview. Med terminology courses are easy and VERY applicable, something like Gerontology is great for an application those patients are getting way older, Psych courses are always a breeze and come in handy all of the time. I think the social psych course I took my sophomore year was the most informative class I've ever taken and I apply theories etc from it every day in clinic.

Good luck, those science courses are a trip.