freshmen seeking advice on extracurriculars/pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yg1786

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

im from a supposedly top 15 school and i turned down some even bigger names in the college biz to save a lotta money. anyway, ive come to find out that VERY few ppl actually get into like the top med schools from my undergrad and supposedly ecs r wut separate students in this process. so basically, besides my gpa and all, wut kinda unique ecs can i really bring out - so far all im plannin on doin is working at a lab? and does the difference between a top 5 and a top 15 school really matter? and if anyone has any advice to give to a freshmen pre-med, please speak

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

yg1786 said:
hey guys

im from a supposedly top 15 school and i turned down some even bigger names in the college biz to save a lotta money. anyway, ive come to find out that VERY few ppl actually get into like the top med schools from my undergrad and supposedly ecs r wut separate students in this process. so basically, besides my gpa and all, wut kinda unique ecs can i really bring out - so far all im plannin on doin is working at a lab? and does the difference between a top 5 and a top 15 school really matter? and if anyone has any advice to give to a freshmen pre-med, please speak

thanks

Make sure you get clinical experience. Do stuff you enjoy, show you are committed and have leadership skills, and get to know your professors to get some great letters. Otherwise, enjoy your undergraduate years. Theses four years will be very stressful, but also most fun time you will have in your life!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do activities that you would enjoy...find a research project you can really like.

Volunteer at the hospital and let the physicians know your intentions.

Shadow a DO or MD, and tell them your desires.

Find hobbies that you excell in, where you can lead (ex: the ski club president, etc)

But start doing your best in your science classes. The higher the GPA, the better.

Budder said:
Do activities that you would enjoy...find a research project you can really like.

Volunteer at the hospital and let the physicians know your intentions.

Shadow a DO or MD, and tell them your desires.

Find hobbies that you excell in, where you can lead (ex: the ski club president, etc)

But start doing your best in your science classes. The higher the GPA, the better.

With all due respect, I dont think being president of the ski club means jack **** on a medical school application. But the rest of the advice is solid.

Go race motocross. AS for the President position of a club it does carry weight. Just make sure you actually do something and if you get asked about it you know what you're talking about. It came up in my interview and my guy was impressed with the level of committment and my drive to share my sport with people as well as the passion that I had when talking about it.

Sports can have major influence on who a person is.

Scott

fahimaz7 said:
Go race motocross. AS for the President position of a club it does carry weight. Just make sure you actually do something and if you get asked about it you know what you're talking about. It came up in my interview and my guy was impressed with the level of committment and my drive to share my sport with people as well as the passion that I had when talking about it.

Sports can have major influence on who a person is.

Scott

Just don't kid yourself and believe that being president of a sports club sets yourself apart. I'm not ripping on club presidents (I am one myself), I just think that the positions are consistently overvalued/rated by pre-meds. Any monkey can be elected to be a president (no political undertones here ;)), what really matters is what you do with a position. Club presidents are a dime a dozen. :thumbup:

Get published in Nature