Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ferrari, all the way. Considering the PsyD is a net negative, at least I can sell the Ferrari for something.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A Tesla Model S would spank that Ferrari for half the price.

Members don't see this ad :)
A Tesla Model S would spank that Ferrari for half the price.

The Tesla is also more comfortable, but it is not nearly as pretty, Having driven an example of both brands in my lifetime, very different experiences.

The Tesla is also more comfortable, but it is not nearly as pretty, Having driven an example of both brands in my lifetime, very different experiences.

This makes me wonder about what cars y'all have?

I drive a 15 year old beater Toyota tundra. I love it. But, man have I been lusting over the Jeep Gladiator. But, I worry about reliability. The thought of a turbocharged Tundra also excites me (but they're two years out).

I give 0 f's about cars. I drive a newer model Civic. Before that I had a Civic for about 15 years that had never needed any work besides general maintenance. Children will be forcing our hand, so we're probably upgrading to an SUV/larger crossover next year.

I drive a 15 year old beater Toyota tundra. I love it. But, man have I been lusting over the Jeep Gladiator. But, I worry about reliability. The thought of a turbocharged Tundra also excites me (but they're two years out).

My daily driver is nothing to write home about given that I have always had to travel as part of my job, often in areas that are less than desirable. I largely drive beater mid size sedans. My current ride is a Ford Fusion that I got a great deal on. I also have an older sports car that is more of a hobby than transportation and I enjoy renting nice cars in my free time for special occasions or fun (Ferraris, Aston Martin, BMW M3/4, corvettes, etc). Contemplating selling the sports car for a classic truck or SUV instead. May fit my needs in the future better.

Last edited:
We have a 2010 Honda CRV (my main ride) and a 2011 Toyota RAV4. Nothing fancy, but both very reliable. I never buy new- too much depreciation and I also don't want to worry too much about taking care of a vehicle.

I'm all about an Acura NSX or a Bugatti Chiron. I pay my taxes, my dues, and was holding out for the Bugatti Benefit for SDN verification...but alas, it was mere magical thinking.

I don't own a car (my husband does though) because I walk all over NYC, everywhere... with my mask on (sigh). You don't really need a car here, and I sold mine when I moved here, with a future, 'previously owned' Acura NSX in mind. :cool:

I drive a 15 year old beater Toyota tundra. I love it.
I've got an old 4Runner with 275,000 miles and I love it as well. I bought it used a few years ago because it came with excellent maintenance records and it's been solid ever since.

I give 0 f's about cars. I drive a newer model Civic. Before that I had a Civic for about 15 years that had never needed any work besides general maintenance. Children will be forcing our hand, so we're probably upgrading to an SUV/larger crossover next year.
We have a 2010 Honda CRV (my main ride) and a 2011 Toyota RAV4. Nothing fancy, but both very reliable. I never buy new- too much depreciation and I also don't want to worry too much about taking care of a vehicle.

I've got an old 4Runner with 275,000 miles and I love it as well. I bought it used a few years ago because it came with excellent maintenance records and it's been solid ever since.

Gosh, we are a fancy bunch. This thread needs more @PsyDr to make it interesting.

As a birthday gift to myself this year I bought a 2020 Dodge Charger, and it's awesome. I didn't get the ole razzle dazzle with the v8 hemi, because too much gas with my commute. But my REAL fancy lady is a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix with 120k miles on it that my Granny gave me when I was 17 as my first car. Kept it and am working on making it pretty again. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Excuse my butting into the Friday thread, but I LOVE cars haha

One of the best hobbies, hands down. Kolsch is a little light for me but my partner is a huge fan of them/hefs, so we brew them as well

Same!

Eww, Saisons and Kolsches. The only home brew that touches my fermenters are IPAs, stouts, and porters. Though I do make mead in my 1-gallon ferms.

Lol, I rotate with the seasons and wanted something lite for the end of summer. You should try a farm house ale sometime. There's a Chimey-clone recipe on BeerSmith that's absolutely killer.

Gosh, we are a fancy bunch. This thread needs more @PsyDr to make it interesting.
To be fair, my first car was a 1978 Custom Chevy Nova with a straight 6 and bench seats. I don't konw if "fancy" is the correct word, but it did kick some ass!

And no- I'm not that old. It was quite old and a hand me down from my mom when I got it.

Same!

Lol, I rotate with the seasons and wanted something lite for the end of summer. You should try a farm house ale sometime. There's a Chimey-clone recipe on BeerSmith that's absolutely killer.

Oh, I've tried many, probably dozens at least. Not big into abbey, farmhouse, saison, wheat, hefe, to name a few.

@Sanman I'm not a big fan of flashy things. Both cars are understated, can move, blend in, and have some interior features I like. The business might buy a Toyota Landcruiser this year. It depends on a few things.

For your amusement, I will say I actually tried to buy a lighthouse a few years ago. There's one for sale right now, 6 miles off of Key West, FL......26K. You live in the south, right? The missus probably has said something about wanting a beach house.

Reactions: 3 users
@Sanman I'm not a big fan of flashy things. Both cars are understated, can move, blend in, and have some interior features I like. The business might buy a Toyota Landcruiser this year. It depends on a few things.

For your amusement, I will say I actually tried to buy a lighthouse a few years ago. There's one for sale right now, 6 miles off of Key West, FL......26K. You live in the south, right? The missus probably has said something about wanting a beach house.

That thing will be washed away in the ocean within a decade...

That thing will be washed away in the ocean within a decade...

Well it is a 132 feet in the air and for that price who can resist? You think anyone offers flood insurance on that thing?

In reality, I hate heights and, while my wife loves being by the water, she hates being IN the water. Though this would make the greatest drunken auction purchase ever.

Last edited:
My bro had a 1999. That thing was falling apart when he sold it in 2007. Do you have the two or four door model?

I have the 4 door. And trust me... there was a time I though this thing was falling apart too. I got a Nissan Altima in 2018 because the Pontiac had an issue of overheating. After 1 1/2 years of sitting I figured out what it was (a stuuuuuupid easy thing to fix) and now she runs perfectly. All that's wrong currently is 3/4 windows don't roll up or down, a lot of body work (people dinged the hell out of it when it needed towing once :( ), and some general updates/fixes like I want to get new floor mats, a touch screen, maybe vinyl wrapping it after sanding the scratches out and things like that. But it runs great now!

I have the 4 door. And trust me... there was a time I though this thing was falling apart too. I got a Nissan Altima in 2018 because the Pontiac had an issue of overheating. After 1 1/2 years of sitting I figured out what it was (a stuuuuuupid easy thing to fix) and now she runs perfectly. All that's wrong currently is 3/4 windows don't roll up or down, a lot of body work (people dinged the hell out of it when it needed towing once :( ), and some general updates/fixes like I want to get new floor mats, a touch screen, maybe vinyl wrapping it after sanding the scratches out and things like that. But it runs great now!

Save your money and buy the nicest grand prix GTP supercharged coupe out there as these cars are worth nothing now.

Save your money and buy the nicest grand prix GTP supercharged coupe out there as these cars are worth nothing now.

Oh, I know :( not worth dog turds anymore. But, for me, the Grand Prix is of a sentimental value due to my Granny giving it to me as my first car. I'm not even going to begin dumping loads of money into it until I trust that everything under the hood is 100%. It runs fine, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything, LOL. going to start with small things like the windows. I really just want to keep it going as long as possible! I also like having my "hot rod" for shows and things, and then my "old lady car" for grocery-getting and whatever hahah.

I did almost purchase a Pontiac G8 about two months ago. Found a 2009 listed for 23k with only 24k miles (which is crazy for the age!). It was the GT (so I think a step down from GXP), garage kept, looked almost brand new, and was beauuuutifullll. But, I thought, "why the heck do I need three cars?" haha

Are you thinking about a new Landcruiser. We had a J80 growing up. It was so awesome.

A colleague of mine has a J200. Its really nice.

I'm surprised about the used market. You can get into a lower mileage J200 for only 5 to 10k more than a higher mileage 4runner. Like you can find a 4runner with 100k miles for only 5 grand less than a brand new one. The Toyota tax is crazy sometimes.

@WisNeuro You sound like a lot of my ex gfs.

Are you thinking about a new Landcruiser. We had a J80 growing up. It was so awesome.

A colleague of mine has a J200. Its really nice.

I'm surprised about the used market. You can get into a lower mileage J200 for only 5 to 10k more than a higher mileage 4runner. Like you can find a 4runner with 100k miles for only 5 grand less than a brand new one. The Toyota tax is crazy sometimes.

Yeah, looking at the new one. It's a tax thing. The 4runner suspension is really bumpy. Plus they are discontinuing the Landcruiser in 2021, so it's last chance.

If you wanna see crazy prices: restored 1980s-1991s Jeep Grand Wagoneers are going for 75k+

@WisNeuro You sound like a lot of my ex gfs.

Yeah, looking at the new one. It's a tax thing. The 4runner suspension is really bumpy. Plus they are discontinuing the Landcruiser in 2021, so it's last chance.

If you wanna see crazy prices: restored 1980s-1991s Jeep Grand Wagoneers are going for 75k+
Wagonmaster baby! Those things are beautiful.

Last edited:
Out of town this weekend with a couple buddies, fishing and taking this thing around some trails and courses. Just have to hop on a couple meetings this morning before fun time.

1601645478955.png

Out of town this weekend with a couple buddies, fishing and taking this thing around some trails and courses. Just have to hop on a couple meetings this morning before fun time.

View attachment 319571

Side by sides are fun. Nothing that interesting happening for me. In-laws are coming over for a visit.

Nice. Have fun. What are you fishing for/fishing with?

This lake supposedly has walleye, smallmouth, channel cat, bullheads, and trout as the main species. I'll update if we catch anything. I haven't cast yet, but I did see some smaller walleye swimming when we were hanging out on the dock earlier.

"Sportsball" is back in my area, though with modifications. My son has first HS soccer game today, and we can watch (only home fans allowed). Athletes have to wear masks, no headers or slide tackles, throw ins will be indirect kicks, no corners into the box, quarters instead of halves. Shouod be interesting.

I started hockey a few weeks ago. Masks on bench, optional on ice. 4 on 4 with no challenging in corners, no contact (we`re always no check), and- biggest impact on my game- no parking my large self in front of the net. 4 on 4 creates a lot of open ice and favors the fast, good skating, in-shape guys, which I am not.

Any suggestions on what I should drink this weekend?

After today, I am looking at 9 straight whole days off. I only have one patient on my schedule - and they didn't confirm. I kind of like being a lame duck psychologist (I had to give a 90 day notice and still have a couple of months left - yuck).

Tonight we're going to walk to dinner. I'm going for a road ride tomorrow sometime. The weather is getting so nice where I live.

Sunday, we're going to the city where we got married in. I can't believe it's been four years. The hotel where we were married gave us a free two night stay. It's going to be fun showing my son around campus and taking him to a very unique zoo.

Then I am doing a bro camping trip on Thursday.

My only goal for this vacation is not check email or worry about work.

I'm legit thinking of playing hookie and going MSRP bourbon hunting.

Gonna start out with the jigs. maybe crank bait for the bass.
Crank baits probably a good bet this time of year. It was an odd season for smallies on my "home" lake (in Northern NH at a family camp). Typically can catch as many 10 inch fish as you want, with an occasional 12+ on top water flies or poppers or soft baits. This year nothing but small (3-5 inch fish) on dry flies, with nothing much on spinning gear. Maybe because of warmer weather or lower than usual water (both due to lack of rain and breached beaver dam). Could also be related to the pair of nesting eagles and osprey that showed up this year.

I'm in a COVID hotspot that's getting worse everyday. Everyone I know is getting it or knows someone with it. We increased in person appts and aren't really being allowed to restrict any that are scheduled now, although we are being allowed to offer remote options. Not really doing okay today to be honest. At least I'll have the weekend to hide away from the plague.

• Care
  • Angry
Reactions: 2 users
I'm in a COVID hotspot that's getting worse everyday. Everyone I know is getting it or knows someone with it. We increased in person appts and aren't really being allowed to restrict any that are scheduled now, although we are being allowed to offer remote options. Not really doing okay today to be honest. At least I'll have the weekend to hide away from the plague.
Its certainly made the growth of my practice way harder, being in a hotspot myself. Certain things that wouldn't have been an issue before are now. I feel the pain. Sorry to hear them pushing you - I've at least got the freedom to not have that happen even if it costs some bottom line. What a PITA for you. I don't understand the utter inability of this country to take this seriously.

Damn, that **** makes me so mad and you're in a hot spot, too. What setting is it? Can you rally other professionals for a collective "naw dag, we're gonna just do telehealth right now."

Damn, that **** makes me so mad and you're in a hot spot, too. What setting is it? Can you rally other professionals for a collective "naw dag, we're gonna just do telehealth right now."

Thanks for the validation! I work in the VA so we don't have a lot of flexibility there unfortunately. We aren't doing too many in person appts but groups are still going and we aren't being allowed to say, no, you aren't coming in person. Still waiting to hear if we are seeing testing patients (since that has to be in person).

Thanks for the validation! I work in the VA so we don't have a lot of flexibility there unfortunately. We aren't doing too many in person appts but groups are still going and we aren't being allowed to say, no, you aren't coming in person. Still waiting to hear if we are seeing testing patients (since that has to be in person).

Its certainly made the growth of my practice way harder, being in a hotspot myself. Certain things that wouldn't have been an issue before are now. I feel the pain. Sorry to hear them pushing you - I've at least got the freedom to not have that happen even if it costs some bottom line. What a PITA for you. I don't understand the utter inability of this country to take this seriously.

Maybe we will now that Trump has it.

Time to strategically use some built up sick and vacation time if you have it.

Trump will survive. He will come through the other side and minimize it and talk about how strong he is, it was less severe than the flu, and people that get sicker than him and die are weak.

This illness may actually make things worse for hotspots.

Or he will end up on a ventilator. If he does come through unscathed, someone should start looking into whether cheeseburgers are the cure for COVID.