Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Goal of the weekend: distract myself from willing my phone to ring/email to update after grad school interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey it's Porter week on SDN! I kegged MY porter this weekend amongst more writing, studying for the EPPP, and family time.
Had a few porters around a fire with a friend yesterday evening. A coffee porter from Northwoods Brewery (NH)- pretty standard fare. Good, but not necessarily $15/ 4 pack 16 oz. cans good. I did appreciate the 4.7 ABV- not everything has to be big alcohol. The other was a surprisingly good vanilla porter from Leinenkugel Brewery (WI). Well done for sub $10 six pack of 12 oz. bottles, and at 6% ABV a good alcohol-to-cost ratio.

If you want to be included in ClinicalABA's future reviews of porters, send some of that homebrew my way!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Just took a huge step towards my mental health yesterday by deleting all of my social media. I had already gone barebones on Facebook and Twitter (only following family, mainly only holding accounts for group participation), but I just scorched-earth deleted everything. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (that one was hard), reddit (the fifth time I've tried to leave reddit lol), Medium. I found myself getting into way too many extended discussions and/or arguments with strangers on the internet over really trivial things (usually related to mental health and debunking bad psychology/therapy ideas), and I realized I didn't want to do my job outside of my job!

So then I relaxed with some mead and Netflix and all was well.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just took a huge step towards my mental health yesterday by deleting all of my social media. I had already gone barebones on Facebook and Twitter (only following family, mainly only holding accounts for group participation), but I just scorched-earth deleted everything. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (that one was hard), reddit (the fifth time I've tried to leave reddit lol), Medium. I found myself getting into way too many extended discussions and/or arguments with strangers on the internet over really trivial things (usually related to mental health and debunking bad psychology/therapy ideas), and I realized I didn't want to do my job outside of my job!

So then I relaxed with some mead and Netflix and all was well.
Congratulations! I have never done any social media (other than SDN, I guess) and consider it to be one of the best decisions I have made.

Every time I have gotten even the slightest urge to join some platform, I make myself wait several days before proceeding and I’ve always decided against it. For me, any perceived benefit from social media hasn’t been worth it and that belief has only been reinforced over the years. It is interesting now to see more people withdrawing from social media or deleting it altogether. I think you’ll find your mental health will indeed improve.

Reactions: 1 user
So, I just got a bottle of Antica vermouth and man, am I a believer. Revolutionized my manhattan game. I will be found this weekend drinking a manhattan after cleaning up some winter storm debris and, of course, studying for the EPPP.
What’s your recipe? What bourbon? FYI Trader Joe’s has a six dollar jar of cherries that are an excellent value.

So, I just got a bottle of Antica vermouth and man, am I a believer. Revolutionized my manhattan game. I will be found this weekend drinking a manhattan after cleaning up some winter storm debris and, of course, studying for the EPPP.
What are you using for the whiskey? I love Manhattan, but am a bit wary of ordering them as many places have crappy Vermouth, or even leave their Vermouth out. That stuff NEEDS to be refrigerated or it goes bad really quick.

Earlier today I picked up a six of Troegs Brewery Troegenator Double Bock. Highly recommended. Also a "fine" box of pinot grigio to enjoy with the Taiwanese, Chinese, and Japanese food that is currently on its way.

Reactions: 1 users
What are you using for the whiskey? I love Manhattan, but am a bit wary of ordering them as many places have crappy Vermouth, or even leave their Vermouth out. That stuff NEEDS to be refrigerated or it goes bad really quick.

Earlier today I picked up a six of Troegs Brewery Troegenator Double Bock. Highly recommended. Also a "fine" box of pinot grigio to enjoy with the Taiwanese, Chinese, and Japanese food that is currently on its way.

Now that I'm a few days removed from vaccine, I may enjoy a Manhattan or two. Dry though, never found the taste for traditional or Perfect. I used to like Doppelbocks, but now they just taste too sweet on my palate.

Now that I'm a few days removed from vaccine, I may enjoy a Manhattan or two. Dry though, never found the taste for traditional or Perfect. I used to like Doppelbocks, but now they just taste too sweet on my palate.
Sounds like the first Manhattan went missing. You never send a search party of one.

2 oz Redemption Rye
1 oz Antica Vermouth (yes, I refrigerate it)
1 dash Angostura bitters and Fee Brothers Orange
Amarena cherry

I'm not the biggest fan of the fee brothers orange bitters, probably won't get them again. Yeah, I've never had a good one at a bar. I used to think I didn't like them until a friend convinced me to make them myself.

I've been binging UnReal on Hulu, and the characters and settings are perfect exemplars of "when intense ASPD traits make you really good at a particular job."
I got excited because I misread ASPD as ASD! I'll still have to check it out- looks interesting. Wife and I have been binging Pen15 on hulu last couple of days. Its pretty funny and captures that cringeworthy awkwardness, self-doubt, and self discovery of the middle school years.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not Friday. However, I wish it were Friday as I am tired, annoyed that it is tax season, and in need of an alcoholic beverage and a nap. Hence, I am posting in the Friday thread.

It is not Friday. However, I wish it were Friday as I am tired, annoyed that it is tax season, and in need of an alcoholic beverage and a nap. Hence, I am posting in the Friday thread.

Any day can be Friday when you're in PP :) Doing some tax organizing and state proposed bill reading today.

Any day can be Friday when you're in PP :) Doing some tax organizing and state proposed bill reading today.

Hit me back when any day can be a Saturday at the beach...Friday still means work.

Submitted my taxes last week. Tears were shed. A good time was not had by all.

• Sad
Well, being in a 2 high earner household can make any day Saturday. Although there is still the kid...
Well, that is technically true for me as well. However, if everyday becomes a Saturday for too long, the people who send me bills will not be too happy eventually.

Kids...I have heard things about them from my friends...like they want food multiple times a day and come with silly excuses for not getting a job like "I am 5" and "That is not legal". My wife still wants one despite this. I already have a freeloader, he is four legged, furry, and refuses to repeat the phrase "Yo quiero Taco Bell" no matter how many times I say it. He won't get a job either.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Used to, but with business and other passive income stuff, it gets fairly complicated and a tax professional is something of a necessity now.

Same. The w-2 stuff is easier now due to Trump, but I have some more complex investment stuff to file at the moment. I may do my own taxes if I divest myself of those assets.

Do y'all do your own taxes?
Same as WisNeuro and Sanman. I used to do my own taxes, but hired a CPA this year for a variety of reasons, most prominent being more consulting/self-employment work. After I saw all the forms they had to fill out, it was definitely worth the money.

Same as WisNeuro and Sanman. I used to do my own taxes, but hired a CPA this year for a variety of reasons, most prominent being more consulting/self-employment work. After I saw all the forms they had to fill out, it was definitely worth the money.
Yup, same. Its worth the money to let someone else deal with the self-employment and investment issues.

Taxes prepared by a tax attorney have an INCREDIBLY low audit rate. It’s like that signature scares people away.

With the state if the IRS currently, everyone seems to have a low audit rate. Tax attorneys are a fairly expensive option. I wonder if the IRS goes for the really low hanging fruit.

With the state if the IRS currently, everyone seems to have a low audit rate. Tax attorneys are a fairly expensive option. I wonder if the IRS goes for the really low hanging fruit.

I've been told that audits are decided by a combination of zip code, income, unusual activity (e.g., home office deduction, high income for your profession, charitable contributions), and who submits the filing. IME, audits are not bad. They're looking for cheats. They got nothing on, "yup, that's absolutely correct."

Taxes prepared by a tax attorney have an INCREDIBLY low audit rate. It’s like that signature scares people away.

Do you know if this also applies to CPAs, or just tax attorneys specifically?

Even if not, at least based on this year, I still would say the CPA firm was worth their weight in gold. Doubly so if I were having to worry about things like payroll throughout the year.

Do you know if this also applies to CPAs, or just tax attorneys specifically?

Even if not, at least based on this year, I still would say the CPA firm was worth their weight in gold. Doubly so if I were having to worry about things like payroll throughout the year.

Just tax attorneys. My stuff is prepared by accountants, gone over by CPAs, and signed by a tax attorney.

Last edited:
Just tax attorneys. My stuff is prepared by accountants, gone over by CPAs, and signed by a tax attorney.
Makes sense if you have the income. I used a tax attorney last year due to an inheritance and it was 10x the cost of a cpa. Not sure if it is worth it for the average joe.

Makes sense if you have the income. I used a tax attorney last year due to an inheritance and it was 10x the cost of a cpa. Not sure if it is worth it for the average joe.

Depends on how familiar you are with financial settings, much an auditor is asking for, how much you have in accessible cash, and how much time you have to deal with it.

I'm looking at a couple of weeks of glorious unemployment until my next job starts. I feel like I haven't had any time to breathe in a couple of years. I'm gonna go check out some lesser known but well preserved cliff dwellings in a nearby state (apparently they still have the wooden support structures and you can still see hand prints from forming the adobe) and camp for off grid for two or three days next week. It's supposed to be a super sketch hike up (like 3000 feet of elevation gain in two miles and some waterfalls and rock scrambling). After my final feedback today, I am going to buy a nice bottle of bourbon (probably from costco) and then go for a ride. Hopefully it wasn't as windy as it was yesterday. My wife is working this weekend, so I think me and the child will go get pancakes tomorrow and visit some playgrounds.

I'm looking at a couple of weeks of glorious unemployment until my next job starts. I feel like I haven't had any time to breathe in a couple of years. I'm gonna go check out some lesser known but well preserved cliff dwellings in a nearby state (apparently they still have the wooden support structures and you can still see hand prints from forming the adobe) and camp for off grid for two or three days next week. It's supposed to be a super sketch hike up (like 3000 feet of elevation gain in two miles and some waterfalls and rock scrambling). After my final feedback today, I am going to buy a nice bottle of bourbon (probably from costco) and then go for a ride. Hopefully it wasn't as windy as it was yesterday. My wife is working this weekend, so I think me and the child will go get pancakes tomorrow and visit some playgrounds.
That sounds like an INCREDIBLE hike! I love difficult scrambles and camping off the grid. Would love to hear any more you're willing to share about the location, either here or over DM.

Doing my taxes while in department virtual meetings. This is how you adult in 2021.

Edit: To answer the question from earlier in the thread. Probably my last year of doing taxes myself before things get too complex with the side gig plans for this year. Investments are still pretty straightforward enough to do on my own.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Do y'all do your own taxes?

I have forever, but probably won't anymore after this year. I did some consulting last year and it ended up being A TON of reading and form filing etc... I have some gigs lined up for this year and I'll pay the whatever amount to have it done by a professional.

Heard from the EPA today about my taxes, so that's all filed and done. Finished some PP work today but putting off reports until next week. This week its a birthday celebration for my partner and a lot of nothing... especially since I think I sprained a tendon. :( Being old sucks sometimes

Finished organizing taxes to send off to our tax guy, always fun. If only 15 years ago me could see how much now me pays in taxes.

15 years ago me was looking forward to making a salary equivalent to what I pay in taxes now.

• Haha
15 years ago me was looking forward to making a salary equivalent to what I pay in taxes now.

Yeah, if I told early 20's WisNeuro that someday he'd pay 6 figures in yearly household taxes, he'd wonder if future him had moved to Sweden and want to know if we'd ever gotten better at skiing.

Friday: standard “more non-clinical work than can be reasonably completed in a day”, making it exceptionally clear to my assistant that I am far too involved in whatever I’m doing to notice how annoyed she is by the mess I left strewn around the office.

Saturday: long run, some more work, second round of vaccine, and dinner with psygf at the country club.
Sunday: Scheduled to work on some longer term business stuff, which will likely become finish reading some books while watching The Guestbook or Fargo.

Drinking boxed wine and watching college hockey tonight (not all Fridays can be fancy). Teaching zoom class tomorrow morning. Just prepared the starter for some Cuban bread to make some cubanos tomorrow. I really need to grade some assignments this weekend. Teaching four courses, plus the day job, so I have to stay on top of grading, which I hate.

It's not a Friday, but it feels like one. Officially accepted to a fully funded clinical phd program and quitting my job at the end of the month!! I'm only going to have 3 full days off and living in civilization with all the lovely benefits that includes from now until the 25th (a bed, temperature control, generally regulated companions, time to myself), but I can finally let the stress go and be truly excited about my future :)

Reactions: 9 users