Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Working all weekend. Long run at some point. Gotta go buy a lamp, which is 900x more difficult than I would imagine.

Ikea is maze like, but they have maps, you'll be ok ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Addressing my holiday cards! Wasn't something my family did consistently growing up, but I've loved creating this tradition for myself as a way to stay in touch with a variety of friends and mentors I've had over the years :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Working all weekend. Long run at some point. Gotta go buy a lamp, which is 900x more difficult than I would imagine.
Will the lamp be a normal lamp or once have belonged to the 4th Earl of Sandwich? Does it smell faintly of roast beef?

Nothing too exciting this weekend. I may finally get around to finishing up my pantry remodel.

Reactions: 1 users
Doing the Xmas tree/decorating thing this weekend. Playing a boxed "escape room" game tonight. Long day of participating in and giving online trainings today, so enjoying a white negroni at this moment.

Doing the Xmas tree/decorating thing this weekend. Playing a boxed "escape room" game tonight. Long day of participating in and giving online trainings today, so enjoying a white negroni at this moment.

Been doing any digital escape room games? I have been doing a few on my phone and a friend just roped me into a participating in a group "Among Us" game.

Been doing any digital escape room games? I have been doing a few on my phone and a friend just roped me into a participating in a group "Among Us" game.
I haven't. A coworker did one and said its fun. I've done a few of these boxed ones. Generally fun. There's usually one two times per game where we've fail to notice the faintly printed number on a card (even with a magnifying glass) and that can be a bit frustrating. Otherwise, no big complaints.

Will the lamp be a normal lamp or once have belonged to the 4th Earl of Sandwich? Does it smell faintly of roast beef?

This is replacing an HVAC system all over again, where no one will tell you how many BTUs is the right answer but, "As many BTUs as you'll sell me" is the wrong answer.

And yes, there is an extremely high end place near you that sells Georgian antiques like that, albeit without electricity. Let me know if you want a referral.

Working at least 1 day this weekend, as I have a couple of IMEs that added records and need to be done in the next week or so. Good for billing, bad for my weekend. I'm also going to do some cooking, not sure what yet....but it should be fun.

I'm officially in between jobs, so I went on a 45 mile bike ride, got a hair cut, did some christmas shopping, hit costco for diaps, and then went to REI. I found a pretty cool patagucci vest in the garage sale section that only had a little tear for a steal (they make gear patches that are really good).

I just finished a book called "Fossil Men: The Quest for the Oldest Skeleton" by Kermit Pattison. I really enjoyed it. I love reading about humanities roots.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm officially in between jobs, so I went on a 45 mile bike ride, got a hair cut, did some christmas shopping, hit costco for diaps, and then went to REI. I found a pretty cool patagucci vest in the garage sale section that only had a little tear for a steal (they make gear patches that are really good).

I just finished a book called "Fossil Men: The Quest for the Oldest Skeleton" by Kermit Pattison. I really enjoyed it. I love reading about humanities roots.
My fantasy weekend!!!!! 🤗

Reactions: 1 user
Happy weekend folks. This week I’ve cleaned up patient vomit, watched a coworker nearly burn down the facility, had a new admission discharge AMA her second day because she had a “108 degree fever” (mmmhmm) and taught a patient how to use Uber. It’s been a wild one.
This weekend I’m going furniture shopping at IKEA for my new apartment, and ice skating with an old friend. Should be fun :)

Happy weekend folks. This week I’ve cleaned up patient vomit, watched a coworker nearly burn down the facility, had a new admission discharge AMA her second day because she had a “108 degree fever” (mmmhmm) and taught a patient how to use Uber. It’s been a wild one.
This weekend I’m going furniture shopping at IKEA for my new apartment, and ice skating with an old friend. Should be fun :)

Sounds like you are just bragging about being a parent. Except the Uber thing. That's just irresponsible for a toddler.

• Haha
Consultation work and dumb committee meetings at the College. I'm experimenting with weirder Zoom backgrounds every time until someone says something.
Be sure you have the most updated Zoom version, they added video filters so now you can add hats, reindeer antlers, shark mouth, pirate 🏴‍☠️ eyepatch and lots of other goodies. Spices things up a bit!

Convinced 2 of my work friends to help me with our cubicle decorating contest. Even though we are working remotely and hardly in the office... :laugh: :shrug:

Making some cranberry mead at the moment. Some association work here and there. Contemplating building a few hydroponic tubs.
that mead sounds good. I havent done any mead brewing but I'm tempted. I'm bottling a batch of orange peel, pepper, & black tea infused saison (we went kind wild on the brew lol) and testing the aging on a bourbon barrel stout. Had it aging for 2 months now. we will see. I'm a little scared I started it too late in the season to fully take advantage of the flavor

next year I think I'll invest in a kegging setup for some of the homebrew. I was holding off til I could build it into a patio setup but may just need to pull the trigger

otherwise. today is beer club day for me

Mead is good, but it's definitely a delay of gratification thing. The bare minimum of aging time is 9 months, but really 12+ months. So, I usually make up few batches every fall/winter to age.

I also started a Vanilla bourbon stout a few weeks ago. Still need at least 2-3 weeks with the oak cubes before bottling. Probably sample sometime next week to see where it's at. I'm also on the verge of a kegging setup. I'd till probably bottle my darker beers, so I can keep some for cellaring, but it'd be nice to keg the IPAs.

Mead is good, but it's definitely a delay of gratification thing. The bare minimum of aging time is 9 months, but really 12+ months. So, I usually make up few batches every fall/winter to age.

I also started a Vanilla bourbon stout a few weeks ago. Still need at least 2-3 weeks with the oak cubes before bottling. Probably sample sometime next week to see where it's at. I'm also on the verge of a kegging setup. I'd till probably bottle my darker beers, so I can keep some for cellaring, but it'd be nice to keg the IPAs.
sounds tastey. I thought about a vanilla brew on the last one but decided against it. I hate that the season for stouts isnt as long as i would like, given the age time.

I dig woodworking and want to build the bar area, and epoxy the top with brewery memorabilia from all over (been saving stuff for 7 years). so I'm hesitant if I'm considering a new house in the next 3-4 years. but who knows

sounds tastey. I thought about a vanilla brew on the last one but decided against it. I hate that the season for stouts isnt as long as i would like, given the age time.

I dig woodworking and want to build the bar area, and epoxy the top with brewery memorabilia from all over (been saving stuff for 7 years). so I'm hesitant if I'm considering a new house in the next 3-4 years. but who knows

We have a family member who sends us a ton of homemade vanilla extract, including a ton of vanilla beans soaking in the extract. After we finished the extract, I soaked bourbon in the vanilla beans for a while to throw into secondary, we'll see how it turns out.

Sounds like a nice bar top. I have some bigger random build in mind, but we're planning on moving in the next 2-3 years, so I'm saving some stuff on the back burner.

We have a family member who sends us a ton of homemade vanilla extract, including a ton of vanilla beans soaking in the extract. After we finished the extract, I soaked bourbon in the vanilla beans for a while to throw into secondary, we'll see how it turns out.

Sounds like a nice bar top. I have some bigger random build in mind, but we're planning on moving in the next 2-3 years, so I'm saving some stuff on the back burner.
oh that's fantastic. you'll have to let me know how it turns out. post covid SDN beer swap at a conference, where I will be spending department money to advance my research training appropriately? I 🤐🤫🤥😉

Sounds like I'll be needing to plan a visit one of these days. Once there's, like, not a national pandemic and whatnot.

Low key weekend here. Cleaning, maybe put up the tree.

Sounds like I'll be needing to plan a visit one of these days. Once there's, like, not a national pandemic and whatnot.

Low key weekend here. Cleaning, maybe put up the tree.

We need to have an SDN conference, switch up hosting duties every year between the Old Guard. Our tree was up last weekend, we had to put shock mats around it to protect against the cats....and the kid.

Reactions: 4 users
Is it Friday yet? Supervision/trainees are probably my favorite part of work days, but interview seasons + exams/comps/EPPP + holiday season + sociopolitical anxiety = exhaustion.

Having some spicy chicken with a crisp, cold lager tonight.

I accepted an offer for a specialty clinical position in our clinic. The position is exactly in line with my interests and experience, so I'm SUPER excited. :)

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Grading finals and wrapping up the academic quarter. Might need a drink earlier than usual.

Took some time off from clincal work this week and went on some (paid) long runs. Highly recommend.

Had to go into the office today- maybe only the third or fourth time since March. Made some copies and grabbed the Bayley-4 for a Zoom traing I'm doing for practica students on Monday. Maybe someday they/I will actually be able to administer it! (Can't do it remotely, and toddlers are droolybandvdontvwear masks, so no doing it in person). Ran by Costco to replenish the snack cabinet and meat freezer. Got the obligatory large bottle of Larceny, and they also had some Delirium Tremens. I felt like pretending to be fancy tonight, so also got some Johnny Walker Red, which I poured into an old crystal decanter. If only I could remember wher I put my ascots?

Grading finals and wrapping up the academic quarter. Might need a drink earlier than usual.

Took some time off from clincal work this week and went on some (paid) long runs. Highly recommend.
you're grading WITHOUT a drink?

come now man, let me teach you the ways of the force....

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I accepted an offer for a specialty clinical position in our clinic. The position is exactly in line with my interests and experience, so I'm SUPER excited. :)

Imagine the dancing banana emoji here! Congratulations!

It's Monday, but our offer was accepted on a house! So basically Friday vibes.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
I'm just gonna shotgun some things out there.

Just finished the first full week at my new job and started my first eval yesterday. Everyone is so nice here. Covid is making some things a chore, but hopefully that'll change with the new vaccine. There are also some legacy procedures from a now retired psychologist (who had been there for over 20 years) that just aren't up to current standards, but all the other psychologists seem cool with advocating change. It just might take some time.

I am going to leave at around 11am today and go for a nice walk before I have personal therapy in the afternoon. This flexibility has been really nice.

I also bought a new vehicle last week. I love it.

I've been doing noom (which is basically calorie counting and weighing yourself every day, plus a psychology informed course that you do daily). It's been pretty helpful - as I really dislike calorie counting. But, I'm down about 5 pounds over two weeks and have been fairly consistent with calorie counting.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm just gonna shotgun some things out there.

Just finished the first full week at my new job and started my first eval yesterday. Everyone is so nice here. Covid is making some things a chore, but hopefully that'll change with the new vaccine. There are also some legacy procedures from a now retired psychologist (who had been there for over 20 years) that just aren't up to current standards, but all the other psychologists seem cool with advocating change. It just might take some time.

I am going to leave at around 11am today and go for a nice walk before I have personal therapy in the afternoon. This flexibility has been really nice.

I also bought a new vehicle last week. I love it.

I've been doing noom (which is basically calorie counting and weighing yourself every day, plus a psychology informed course that you do daily). It's been pretty helpful - as I really dislike calorie counting. But, I'm down about 5 pounds over two weeks and have been fairly consistent with calorie counting.
Glad you are liking the new gig, and that they are potential open to change. I'm curious about how things will workout with noon. It's been hard to keep up on exercise and diet for the past 9 months, and the pounds are creeping up there.

So apparently there is something called "Christmas Tree Syndrome." I have literally not been able to take a full breath in at least a week, and have been needing the asthma inhaler 2-3X per day (vs. 2-3X per month, if that). I was very concerned it was COVID, but not other symptoms and things seemed to get better if I left the house for an hour or so, or if I hung out tin the basement (which is not on the same forced air system as rest of house). After discussions with my physician's office, it seems that COVID would not have this pattern of quick dissipation of and return to symptoms, as well as would't respond to zyrtec. Working hypothesis is that I'm allergic to the d**n Christmas Tree! It's actually more likely the result of mold spores blooming on the tree. We got the tree a day after an all day rain storm, so conditions were perfect for mold bloom. It's never been an issue before, but I also do not leave the house, so this is all I'm breathing 24/7. Tree is going outside to the porch later today. Fingers crossed, 'cause this has been awful!

• Care
  • Sad
  • Hmm
On winter break at the College and off from clinical work.

I took a nap, ate an amazing carnitas burrito.

Waiting until College football starts in a couple hours. Pac 12 championship tonight and some great conference championship games tomorrow.

So apparently there is something called "Christmas Tree Syndrome." I have literally not been able to take a full breath in at least a week, and have been needing the asthma inhaler 2-3X per day (vs. 2-3X per month, if that). I was very concerned it was COVID, but not other symptoms and things seemed to get better if I left the house for an hour or so, or if I hung out tin the basement (which is not on the same forced air system as rest of house). After discussions with my physician's office, it seems that COVID would not have this pattern of quick dissipation of and return to symptoms, as well as would't respond to zyrtec. Working hypothesis is that I'm allergic to the d**n Christmas Tree! It's actually more likely the result of mold spores blooming on the tree. We got the tree a day after an all day rain storm, so conditions were perfect for mold bloom. It's never been an issue before, but I also do not leave the house, so this is all I'm breathing 24/7. Tree is going outside to the porch later today. Fingers crossed, 'cause this has been awful!

I have family members that have this. My kiddo was born during this season and we had to put the tree outside for the family gather. Totally a thing, sorry man.

Lots of forensic work, professional reading, professional writing, and a date night.

Running a personal experiment on systematic desensitization. Psygf doesn't like when I work on the weekends. Got her a surprise massage appointment that is more of a "getting rid of her so I can work" than a "romantic gift". She's gonna ask what I did all afternoon when I pick her up. Let's see if she is still able to be mad at my response, after induction of relaxation. My hypothesis is: yes.

Glad you are liking the new gig, and that they are potential open to change. I'm curious about how things will workout with noon. It's been hard to keep up on exercise and diet for the past 9 months, and the pounds are creeping up there.
I heard about Noom through an economist I follow on twitter. But, it's really helping me on the diet side of things. I'm actually pretty good with the exercise side of things. My diet isn't bad, but I definitely eat too much - that's where I've always struggled. My clothes are already fitting better.