Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TIL my labeling of pepper plants has been somewhat inconsistent. I have 7 in the "unknown" category. And, since they all look alike until later on, probably won't know which variety they are until I see the ripened fruit.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
My time off starts this week so this is like Friday for me! Of course today is one of my busiest clinical days so just gotta get through it. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finalizing some credentialing paperwork, finalizing Jan/Feb IME schedule, finishing shopping for holiday meals. Then probably doing some nostalgic gaming with New Vegas.
Nice- New Vegas is a great game. If you haven't played them, the older isometric Fallout and Fallout 2 are well worth a nostalgic playthrough. I'm currently doing a run through of RDR2. Got my son (and, if I'm being honest, myself) Ghosts of Tsushima and Assassins Creed Valhalla for XMAS, so I'm looking forward to digging into those. I also got us Cyberpunk 2077, but will either return it or wait for significant patches or (or finding a PS5) before opening it. Something tells me there's going to be some cheap used copies available soon.

I still have to pick up the traditional family boardgame for the holiday. Any suggestions, anyone? For reference, past years have been things like Machi Koro, Dead of Winter, Flashnpoint Fire Rescue, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Nice- New Vegas is a great game. If you haven't played them, the older isometric Fallout and Fallout 2 are well worth a nostalgic playthrough. I'm currently doing a run through of RDR2. Got my son (and, if I'm being honest, myself) Ghosts of Tsushima and Assassins Creed Valhalla for XMAS, so I'm looking forward to digging into those. I also got us Cyberpunk 2077, but will either return it or wait for significant patches or (or finding a PS5) before opening it. Something tells me there's going to be some cheap used copies available soon.

I still have to pick up the traditional family boardgame for the holiday. Any suggestions, anyone? For reference, past years have been things like Machi Koro, Dead of Winter, Flashnpoint Fire Rescue, etc.

Oh, I'm a huge Fallout I've played completely through everything besides Fallout 76 (not a big multiplayer fan). I'm finishing up a few games before getting Ghosts of Tsushima. As for Cyberpunk, I was planning on waiting a few months to get a PS5 and wait for a bunch of patches to roll out before playing that one.

As for boardgames for the family, depends on ages. A good two player game we recently got was Odin's Ravens.

Oh, I'm a huge Fallout I've played completely through everything besides Fallout 76 (not a big multiplayer fan). I'm finishing up a few games before getting Ghosts of Tsushima. As for Cyberpunk, I was planning on waiting a few months to get a PS5 and wait for a bunch of patches to roll out before playing that one.

As for boardgames for the family, depends on ages. A good two player game we recently got was Odin's Ravens.
Odin's Ravens looks cool. My family are all adult age, so no restrictions.

The original Fallout came out when I was in Grad School. I blame it for my less than stellar Masters Thesis! IMHO, best video game of all time (opinion adjusted for available tech at the time, of course). I was a big fan of table top RPG Gamma World, and Fallout filled that niche well.

Odin's Ravens looks cool. My family are all adult age, so no restrictions.

The original Fallout came out when I was in Grad School. I blame it for my less than stellar Masters Thesis! IMHO, best video game of all time (opinion adjusted for available tech at the time, of course). I was a big fan of table top RPG Gamma World, and Fallout filled that niche well.

Pandemic Legacy Season Zero is out, getting great reviews so far. I'm cautiously optimistic after how bad Season 2 was.

Merry Christmas Eve, SDN.... for those who observe (And Happy belated Diwali, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa...and anything else others may celebrate)!

Good luck to those applying to Grad School, internship, etc. This is your Year (🤞)!

It's not Friday, but it sure feels like it!

:biglove:

Reactions: 2 users
I had an accidental week off. I had some cold symptoms and got tested. I tested negative. But still got the whole week off. Next week is gonna suck tho. Got the poke today. I can’t wait for this pandemic to end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy New Year, SDN. Cheers to another year of telling people to avoid Psy.Ds from for profit professional schools.
In 2021, I am going to take a different approach and encourage students to get expensive PsyDs from marginal professional schools and then I will hire them cheap so I can rule the world make a tidy profit! :banana:

Happy New Year everyone!

• Haha
Excited to play a few new Switch games today, and figure out which additional games I want to use a gift card on.

Final grades all submitted, with about 9 hours to spare! Teaching 2 full and and two independent study courses next semester, in addition to the day job, and I still haven't even started Ghost of Tsushima, AC: Valhalla; or Cyberpunk yet, and am only ~60% through my replay of RDR2! I better get moving!

Final grades all submitted, with about 9 hours to spare! Teaching 2 full and and two independent study courses next semester, in addition to the day job, and I still haven't even started Ghost of Tsushima, AC: Valhalla; or Cyberpunk yet, and am only ~60% through my replay of RDR2! I better get moving!

I got my fiancé Assassins Creed Valhalla for Christmas and he has been playing nearly nonstop since then. I usually don't get too absorbed into watching him play but this game is veeeeeeery interesting, I like the story and he loves it. I also got him Ghost of Tsushima, which he hasn't gotten to because he cannot put down Assassins Creed haha

I know it’s not Friday, but I have the afternoon off and would like to share: today I passed the EPPP!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Happy Friday, folks. And Happy Long Weekend for all you government employees out there.

Just realized I haven't opened Outlook yet today. There goes the next hour.

I took some leave, so I am looking at a 5 day weekend woohoo!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I've been making gin martinis lately. Really tasty with Plymouth and a lemon twist.
I actually had my first ever gin martini yesterday! Not sure what took me so long. I think because my wife drinks VERY dirty vodka martinis- which I very much DON'T like, I've been avoiding them. Served up with a lemon twist, turns out they're not so bad! I just picked up variety six of Unibroe. They do these a few times a year, and at $9.99, that a few bucks less than what they usually get for a 4 pack.

I've been working through AC: Valhalla. Great game, but I think maybe recent events have lowered my tolerance for violence. I'm having some legitimate moral quandaries about randomly attacking Saxon monasteries just to steal stuff.

I actually had my first ever gin martini yesterday! Not sure what took me so long. I think because my wife drinks VERY dirty vodka martinis- which I very much DON'T like, I've been avoiding them. Served up with a lemon twist, turns out they're not so bad! I just picked up variety six of Unibroe. They do these a few times a year, and at $9.99, that a few bucks less than what they usually get for a 4 pack.

I've never been a big gin fan in most things, but a gin martini really satisfies me. They're darn tasty for sure.

We've got another week to crack open our whiskey stout homebrew- gave it about 4 months over 12ounces of barrel chips and then added some whiskey just before the bottle. The taste before the bottle has me hopeful.

Friday: date night
Saturday: long run, finishing an article, finishing a long forensic report
Sunday: finishing a long lit review for another article.

The end of a short week for me. Finished up some TMS trainings this morning. Reviewing the write-up of an assessment I supervised for one of the interns and catching up on some paperwork. Spending most of this weekend shelling out those dollars I saved last year by paying some other people to do the home maintenance for me. Perhaps, I will supervise from my cozy living room with an Irish coffee.

Today: Get to monitor the financial business every few minutes. Got two big work products due today with the forensic business. Got one big project with the clinical work.

Saturday & Subday: Two big forensic projects need to be done by Monday.

Catching up on some paperwork after a week of computer problems and pondering what life would be like if I had invested a bunch of money in Gamestop stock at the beginning of the month.

I bought some qualtrics stock yesterday... we'll see how that goes.

This weekend should be fun. I'm going to hit the peloton today, have some therapy for myself, get out on the bike on saturday and sunday. I'm thinking about making a brisket (prime prices are down to 2.65 a pound). Might buy a bottle of 1792 bottled in bond.

All caught up with work, need to bottle a "Barrel-aged" vanilla bourbon porter and start organizing taxes
Sounds like a tasty treat. My bourbon barrel stout ended up being fantastic. I was thinking to lean more into the vanilla next time. How'd you do it - straight bean or did you use extract?

This weekend and next are half filled up with division 12 zoom board meetings for me. But I will get to finish setting my home gym up after splurging on a PRX setup. I've been pretty thrilled with it overall for garage space retention. Pricey, but quality.

Sounds like a tasty treat. My bourbon barrel stout ended up being fantastic. I was thinking to lean more into the vanilla next time. How'd you do it - straight bean or did you use extract?

This weekend and next are half filled up with division 12 zoom board meetings for me. But I will get to finish setting my home gym up after splurging on a PRX setup. I've been pretty thrilled with it overall for garage space retention. Pricey, but quality.

Bean. We have a family member who sends us a bottle of homemade vanilla "extract" with like 8 whole beans in the bottle. I had to of those bottles, filled it with bourbon and let is sit for a few months before making the beer and pitching it in secondary.

I've considered the PRX, waiting until we move in the next year or so.

Bean. We have a family member who sends us a bottle of homemade vanilla "extract" with like 8 whole beans in the bottle. I had to of those bottles, filled it with bourbon and let is sit for a few months before making the beer and pitching it in secondary.

I've considered the PRX, waiting until we move in the next year or so.
That sounds like a fantastic base for it. I'll be curious on the taste update in a couple of weeks.

PRX is so dang well worth it. I had put it off for a couple years for the same reason and just pulled the trigger on the fold up rack. FYI, You can buy half on amazon and the other half on their site. It'll save you a couple hundred with free shipping on amazon, depending on what all you want (Plus i can use my amazon card). I got the rack itself on amazon but had to pay for the fold up bench and plate storage off their site.

That sounds like a fantastic base for it. I'll be curious on the taste update in a couple of weeks.

PRX is so dang well worth it. I had put it off for a couple years for the same reason and just pulled the trigger on the fold up rack. FYI, You can buy half on amazon and the other half on their site. It'll save you a couple hundred with free shipping on amazon, depending on what all you want (Plus i can use my amazon card). I got the rack itself on amazon but had to pay for the fold up bench and plate storage off their site.

With what I was paying at my pre-pandemic gym a month, even paying full price for that would pay off in under a year. Once we upgrade space to account for kids I'll have space for a home gym. Though I'll still need to carve out room for grow tents, brewing/distilling, building projects, etc...

With what I was paying at my pre-pandemic gym a month, even paying full price for that would pay off in under a year. Once we upgrade space to account for kids I'll have space for a home gym. Though I'll still need to carve out room for grow tents, brewing/distilling, building projects, etc...
Yeh... I ended up buying a 10x8 for my tents and other general gear. Its sorta stupid how much I have.

It is a paperwork weekend for me, so time to get my tax paperwork organized with a Sunday break for a Pandemic Valentine's Day brunch with the wife and hopefully a little down time.