Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tough day in the old testing clinic. It's rare, but I still get a case every now and then that hits me the feels.

Picked up a pack of Doublebock (Schilling's Brewery in Littleton NH) and some Altbier (Notch Brewing in Salem, MA). Also have a left over Double IPA from Troegs (Hershey PA). About to mix up a Kansas City spice rub for some BBQ chicken. Looking forward to a weekend without too much on the schedule and too much rain to get to some of the outdoor projects. May have to tie up some flies and hit the rivers and ponds soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Tough day in the old testing clinic. It's rare, but I still get a case every now and then that hits me the feels.

Picked up a pack of Doublebock (Schilling's Brewery in Littleton NH) and some Altbier (Notch Brewing in Salem, MA). Also have a left over Double IPA from Troegs (Hershey PA). About to mix up a Kansas City spice rub for some BBQ chicken. Looking forward to a weekend without too much on the schedule and too much rain to get to some of the outdoor projects. May have to tie up some flies and hit the rivers and ponds soon.

One word away from me being able to make a TLC joke.

Between cancellations and no shows, I only saw one patient today. Gave me more time to do some prep for my testing case next week. Tonight I'm attending a birthday celebration with Chinese food and cake (all but two are vaccinated and the ones that aren't had the first dose), so pretty pumped about that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My summer goal is to actually get back into working out and eating well, so will probably be doing some batch cooking this weekend. Any suggestions on meals? Especially excited about Middle Eastern/Southeast Asian food right now. Also some sort of scramble hike or kayak

ETA: So hype for the UFC fights tomorrow night. Anyone else into UFC?

My summer goal is to actually get back into working out and eating well, so will probably be doing some batch cooking this weekend. Any suggestions on meals? Especially excited about Middle Eastern/Southeast Asian food right now. Also some sort of scramble hike or kayak

ETA: So hype for the UFC fights tomorrow night. Anyone else into UFC?

Used to be moreso. UFC is doing too much to try and emulate the WWE these days for my tastes. Masvidal is a giant tool, so there's always the hope that he gets absolutely wrecked. A buddy of mine is getting the fight, so I'll probably go over and watch.

Other then that, I need to get my new finger tab tweaked a bit, my release is a slight bit off. After some meetings this morning.

Nice. I have a 35# longbow that my son made for me in high school wood tech class.

How's it shoot? Yeah, I'm trying out finger tabs, I'm used to gloves. So far I'm still much more accurate with the glove, but I know tabs are the way to get a few things to the next level. So I'll still continue to tweak here and there.

Used to be moreso. UFC is doing too much to try and emulate the WWE these days for my tastes. Masvidal is a giant tool, so there's always the hope that he gets absolutely wrecked. A buddy of mine is getting the fight, so I'll probably go over and watch.

Other then that, I need to get my new finger tab tweaked a bit, my release is a slight bit off. After some meetings this morning.
Yeah, definitely rooting against Masvidal/for Usman. I also generally enjoy wrestlers doing well, especially when so much of the hype and footage is focused on striking and knockouts (although watching Adesanya KO people will always be entertaining). I'm a newer MMA fan, so have less of the historical context, but I appreciate UFC doing a much better job than boxing in making fights fans want to see happen, happen. Plus the whole actually being real thing.... never understood the WWE hype.

Welp, I'm a bullet journal convert. After dozens of beautiful planners abandoned, I figured out I just don't like the blank space of a missed day. I feel judged. Also, I get to relive my youth and buy stickers and gel pens. I am healed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Went for a long run today, going on my first date since the pandemic tonight, and celebrating my housemate's birthday (and his new birthday grill) with a cookout! Many types of meat and ice cream will be consumed.

Reactions: 3 users
First in person session today since March 2020! It was nicecto be back in the office, and it was a perfect case for it. I was surprisingly anxious on the drive in. It's been a long year, and the full effects are still to be discovered. One thing was clear- sitting in a grown up chair for a year does not prepare you sit at the kiddies table and get up and down from the floor a dozen times!

Reactions: 2 users
Tonight's plan includes some wine and cheese with psygf.
Saturday it's a long run, followed by watching CEs. Gonna do some professional writing, and polishing things while I'm sitting through that nonsense.
Sunday its a long run, reading a new professional book, and working on a few non psychology projects with collaborators.

Appealed an editorial decision for the first time ever today; we'll see how that goes! Submitted an APR for a grant and working on the final report for another grant. Also, working on a grant app due to our OSP on Monday.

Details? Particularly on the cheese.

A nonvintage brut champagne accompanied by manchego, a very sharp cheddar, a danish blue, a brie de meluh, a kinda BS swiss, and a very smokey gouda. There's some semi-hard salami, choricons, and some pickled onions.

1619827949358.png

A nonvintage brut champagne accompanied by manchego, a very sharp cheddar, a danish blue, a brie de meluh, a kinda BS swiss, and a very smokey gouda. There's some semi-hard salami, choricons, and some pickled onions.

View attachment 335981
Assuming you meant brie de melun- that's worth the price of admission right there.
I just had a frozen Costco burger, grilled to perfection and topped with jalapeños and a slice of sharp provolone, served up on an onion roll, and washed down with a mug of Rothaus Pils. Flipping between the nfl draft and the Sox (red)- Rangers game. I'm digging the Rangers newish caps.

Assuming you meant brie de melun- that's worth the price of admission right there.
I just had a frozen Costco burger, grilled to perfection and topped with jalapeños and a slice of sharp provolone, served up on an onion roll, and washed down with a mug of Rothaus Pils. Flipping between the nfl draft and the Sox (red)- Rangers game. I'm digging the Rangers newish caps.

One of the best meals of my life was a brat and a PBR.

But I still hate the Sox, and the state of MA. In particular Governor's Academy, MGH, and Provincetown. Sudbury Valley School is still cool, though.

@Sanman The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved...

• Haha

But I still hate the Sox, and the state of MA. In particular Governor's Academy, MGH, and Provincetown. Sudbury Valley School is still cool, though.

@Sanman The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved...
Well, if you hate the Red Sox then that 15 year old French prostitute raised you right!

Reactions: 1 user

So you basically don't like Boston. I'm not going to try to convince you that a) there are parts of MA that aren't Boston; and b) these parts have some redeeming qualities. I will just say that I'm from the part of MA where we don't talk funny (unless you consider an upstate NY accent funny) and there are quite a few Yankees and Giants fans (Jets fans, however, are still considered to be at the same level as those guys in middle school who ate the gum they found stuck to the bottom of their desks). I'd go as far as to say that the Yankees are my second favorite team. Never been to P'Town, but something is telling me I'd like it. To each her/his own. Enjoy the manchego!

So you basically don't like Boston. I'm not going to try to convince you that a) there are parts of MA that aren't Boston; and b) these parts have some redeeming qualities. I will just say that I'm from the part of MA where we don't talk funny (unless you consider an upstate NY accent funny) and there are quite a few Yankees and Giants fans (Jets fans, however, are still considered to be at the same level as those guys in middle school who ate the gum they found stuck to the bottom of their desks). I'd go as far as to say that the Yankees are my second favorite team. Never been to P'Town, but something is telling me I'd like it. To each her/his own. Enjoy the manchego!

Massholes!!

I know it's not Friday, but too much serious (and important) talk on another thread and I need a distraction, so here you go.

My journey today brought me by a sorta local brewery. Picked up a really nice Sake IPA, an interesting Rye IPA, plus a few more (a red ale and a porter I've yet to try). They also have distillery, so I got a bottle of rye (same one that goes into the rye IPA. All I can say is that there's a reason when you think "whiskey" you don't immediately have images of the upper Connecticut River Valley in MA. Tastes like a combination of cream soda and the air that cones out of an inner tube on a hot august afternoon. The bottle is very cool, though.

Also- I'm watching the Red Sox again.

• Haha
Also not Friday, but I just did a 42 mile hike in under 13 hours and I'm feeling very proud of myself

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Also not Friday, but I just did a 42 mile hike in under 13 hours and I'm feeling very proud of myself

Well, it is Friday now. I still will not be completing a 42 mile hike. Mostly because I am too lazy to do that today (or most days). I am selling my wife's car to Carvana because used car residuals are ridiculous right now.

Grades are submitted. Another semester in the books. Hoping for no grade grubbing emails. I inform my students I do not even respond to such emails, so not even receiving them will restore my faith in humanity just a bit.

Genealogy has become a fun way to use my research skills more broadly. I solved a decades-old family mystery this week. Best feeling!

Grades are submitted. Another semester in the books. Hoping for no grade grubbing emails. I inform my students I do not even respond to such emails, so not even receiving them will restore my faith in humanity just a bit.

Had a student come to office hours after plagiarizing their last paper. They felt unsupported. The proceed to tell me all about their life and accuse me of random things. I don't even know who this person is. They have not come to office hours once. ever. Fun.

• Wow
  • Care
Grades are in here as well. Two students ended up knocking their grades down a letter by making up their own final assignment, instead of doing the one assigned--overall, it was a really good class, though!

What was the mystery?
I was able to confirm the identity of one of my 2nd great grandfathers. My great grandmother was evasive about her history, and she was really tricky to find in the historical records. This resulted in some pretty wild speculation about her past that I have been able to debunk. I can paint a more real, human picture of her life, and that makes me happy.

Happy Friday! We're going up the in-laws cabin in cooler country. I got a new bike a couple weeks ago (my 2012 was on it's last legs). I ordered a fork mount for my bike and hopefully it will mount to the bed rails of my truck nicely or my new $3500 investment is going to meet the interstate. I'm gonna do a mix of gravel and road. My last patient won't come soon enough.

Beautiful day in the northeast today. Perfect for some gardening, and now some vodka tonics, bulgogi tacos, and watching playoff hockey on the screen porch. Tied up some flies earlier, and may hit the river tomorrow. I do enjoy this time of the year, and it seems especially nice after last Spring.

Last edited:
Beautiful day in the northeast today. Perfect for some gardening, and now some vodka tonics, bulgogi tacos, and watching playoff hockey on the screen porch. Tied up some flies earlier, and may hit the river tomorrow. I do enjoy this time of the year, and it seems especially nice after last Spring.
What do you fish for?

Today I saw my first client who was born in 2020. Just looked weird on the referral form. Even more so because in the past I've had clients born in 1920.
I have client born in 1918. Not going see one born in 2020 maybe ever?

Today I saw my first client who was born in 2020. Just looked weird on the referral form. Even more so because in the past I've had clients born in 1920.
Damn dude, how was this baby identified? Screening?

Damn dude, how was this baby identified? Screening?
I actually see quite a few children in that 15-20 month age range. Typically something is noticed by pediatrician and they refer child for Early Intervention (birth-to-threebservices). Many EI staff are really good about identifying potential sx of ASD, and then referring for eval, which is the case with this client. This Kiddo has two siblings with ASD, multiple EI disciplines involved, as well as a DCF social worker, somplenty of eyes on this child. Also two siblings with ASDso there's some hypervigilance, as well as familiarity with the process, my clinic, and me.

TLDR: the system worked the way it should work.

I actually see quite a few children in that 15-20 month age range. Typically something is noticed by pediatrician and they refer child for Early Intervention (birth-to-threebservices). Many EI staff are really good about identifying potential sx of ASD, and then referring for eval, which is the case with this client. This Kiddo has two siblings with ASD, multiple EI disciplines involved, as well as a DCF social worker, somplenty of eyes on this child. Also two siblings with ASDso there's some hypervigilance, as well as familiarity with the process, my clinic, and me.

TLDR: the system worked the way it should work.
I wish my state had it together this much. Our average age of dx is like 4-5yrs.

I'm actually doing an ASD eval on a 32 month old with down syndrome and cataracts right now. So it's a little complicated. There was a developmental regression (loss of speech at 12 months) and tons of RRBs. But, it's still challenging, especially as visual impairment often interferes with nonverbal communication skills.

In the "small wins" category, a manuscript for a special issue that I wrote the night it was due was accepted with minor revisions on the first pass, which I turned around in less than 24 hours. (Helps it's an area of the literature I know extremely, extremely well).

Also, in the past week, I've gotten:
-Two other acceptances pending minor revisions
-One R&R
-A decision that's somewhere between an accept with revisions and an R&R

I'm super glad they weren't rejections, and it's so much revising (dialectics ftw! ;) )

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users