Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In Santa Fe today on a road trip to Colorado for the 7/4 holiday. So nice to see people out and about and I second the live music comments! Hard not to enjoy oneself in this atmosphere.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I won the big-deal Early Career Research award from my main professional org--many of the renown people in the field are previous recipients, so it's an absolute honor to have my name listed among them! Also, my first-author manuscript got accepted today by a leading trauma journal, which is kind of a hard nut to crack, so that's awesome.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Sorry. The NBA finals. I'm rooting for the Suns! I bet Phoenix is INSANE right now.

It's almost time for fantasy football, too!
I’m so excited to be able to play fantasy football again this year!

Reactions: 1 users
In Santa Fe today on a road trip to Colorado for the 7/4 holiday. So nice to see people out and about and I second the live music comments! Hard not to enjoy oneself in this atmosphere.
Were you heading up for a Red Rocks show? That place is magic. It should be on your bucket list if you haven't been yet.

I won the big-deal Early Career Research award from my main professional org--many of the renown people in the field are previous recipients, so it's an absolute honor to have my name listed among them! Also, my first-author manuscript got accepted today by a leading trauma journal, which is kind of a hard nut to crack, so that's awesome.

To stand out amongst the up and coming rockstars in the prof org is impressive. It was a well deserved award.

Congrats!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
To stand out amongst the up and coming rockstars in the prof org is impressive. It was a well deserved award.

Congrats!
thanks! I’m guessing you know what the award is, heh. The list of prior recipients is so impressive, and I’m honored to be among them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m in a corporate EMR training all day 🙃. The weather is going to be poopy this weekend so my cycling will be impacted. Nothing to exciting this weekend. Maybe I’ll let my saddle sores heal up a little or just ride the peloton.

A friend got me a bottle of Eagle Rare 10. I like it more than Col EH Taylor.

Went actually mountain biking yesterday- trails, roots, puddles, etc. Kicked my butt physically, but I was more suprised how mentally challenging it was.

Hoping to tackle some fun projects this weekend- rebuilding and painting the corn hole boards; building a canoe rack for truck. I'm teaching a new (for me)doctoral course in the fall (experimental analysis of behavior) so it's going to get pretty busy soon. That reminds me, I've got some grading to finish for the summer semester.

Finished an enormous project yesterday. Now I get to finish some forensic reports, and work on a lecture.

Reactions: 5 users
I had a really productive day on Friday, so I'm taking Saturday to brunch w friends, hammock w a book, and maybe BBQ w friends. It's supposed to rain later, so going out seems less and less likely. Sunday is a 1/2 day of work and....TBD.

Reactions: 5 users
I just found out yesterday that I crushed my state's jurisprudence exam this past week. I'm celebrating with salmon on the grill and gin and tonics tonight with fam and friends. Have a few loose ends for some volunteering I do and a bit of lite writing, but otherwise I'm taking it easy.

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted a job offer on Friday that I’d been wanting for a long time, got approved to take the jurisprudence exam for the state the job is in, and took the exam today.

Reactions: 9 users
After today, I have the next NINE days off! Going to do a mixture of CEs, dealing with a puppy, getting a hair cut, cycling, and maybe some camping. Anyone got any good CE ideas? I'm terribly behind.

After today, I have the next NINE days off! Going to do a mixture of CEs, dealing with a puppy, getting a hair cut, cycling, and maybe some camping. Anyone got any good CE ideas? I'm terribly behind.

Any particular content areas you are looking for?

Catching up on work today, some IME record review this weekend. Some force on force training tomorrow, and maybe some cards with friends.

I’m moving to start my PhD program on Monday, so finishing up all my last minute packing and spending time with my local friends this weekend!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Long day of woodworking projects. Built the canoe rack for the truck that I was supposed to do last week. Built window boxes (planters) for the front of the house. It was supposed to be a joint project with my wife who planned to be free today, but the real estate game is unpredictable and she got busy so I did them myself. Almost maimed myself with a tablesaw kickback mishap. Hopefully rain holds off tomorrow so I can do some priming, as well as cut and paint the tops of the corn hole boards. I'm now sipping on some Bulleit and watching sportsball, before getting back to a new run-through of Fallout4.

Last edited:
Long day of woodworking projects. Built the canoe rack for the truck that I was supposed to do last week. Built window boxes (planters) for the front of the house. It was supposed to be a joint project with my wife who planned to be free today, but the real estate game is unpredictable and she got busy so I did them myself. Almost maimed myself with a tablesaw kickback mishap. Hopefully rain holds off tomorrow so I can do some priming, as well as cut and paint the tops of the corn hole boards. I'm now sipping on some Bulleit and watching sportsball, before getting back to a new run-through of Fallout4.
You okay bro? Kickback is no joke. In middle school we had a teacher who everyone called lefty because of a kickback event... I'll let you figure out why.

We need a device that can create a continuous time travel loop - ends Sunday evening and then immediately brings you back to Friday. Monday through Thursday can retire.

Reactions: 2 users
You okay bro? Kickback is no joke. In middle school we had a teacher who everyone called lefty because of a kickback event... I'll let you figure out why.
Yeah, but piece of wood shot about 15 feet across the yard and bent a piece of the saw. I switched to the jigsaw and chop saw after that, whilevp all my limbs and digits were still in tact.

I and my entire family contracted breakthrough COVID cases, and they are anything but mild (although they fall within the medical definition of it), so all my Fridays are unfortunately spent conked out on the couch. Stay safe!

• Care
Just completed week 4 in a new position...lots to adjust to. Going to enjoy an afternoon by the pool tomorrow and a nice dinner on the grill.

I and my entire family contracted breakthrough COVID cases, and they are anything but mild (although they fall within the medical definition of it), so all my Fridays are unfortunately spent conked out on the couch. Stay safe!

Wow, take care of yourself. I can’t imagine the whole household dealing with this. Our hospital is about booked solid with delta cases (very few are vaccinated, JFTR) and honestly, it’s quite disturbing to be right back where we were a year ago. Sending good vibes.

Whew, busy week. Was a little behind on my clinical reports and billing, but got that all caught up today. Playing some sportsball tonight, lawn/garden stuff and record review tomorrow, then trying to figure out how to squeeze 3 IMEs into a week and a half in addition to my scheduled clinical cases coming up in a couple weeks.

It's Friday the 13th so my partner and I will engage in our time honored tradition of watching a laughably terrible horror movie (RT score must be < 50%). Today's been chill, but it's been busy otherwise. Not sure what I'm going to do this weekend though I'm sure there will be some running and time with the kiddo built in.

It's Friday... I've got a full book, but so far two no shows. I'm think about doing some slight overlanding out to a river with a cool old bridge with the toddler. It's starting to cool down, so I'm def getting on the bike tomorrow. Riding the Peloton is getting old.

It's Friday the 13th so my partner and I will engage in our time honored tradition of watching a laughably terrible horror movie (RT score must be < 50%). Today's been chill, but it's been busy otherwise. Not sure what I'm going to do this weekend though I'm sure there will be some running and time with the kiddo built in.
What movie did you go with this year?

Got my 98th peer-reviewed pub, and I wasn't even 100% sure it was under review (the lead author can be a bit non-communicative about MS status at times), so that was a super nice surprise! It's in one of my favorite journals, too.

Looks like we might be getting an honest to goodness landfall hurricane up here this weekend. I guess tomorrow I'll be cleaning out the gutters! Finishing prep for the new doctoral course this weekend. Wife and I having a little getaway in the big city (Boston) next Tuesday to see Wilco and Sleater Kenney. I'm beyond psyched! We were a little worried about a large gathering, but it's at a covered pavillion and they're requiring proof of vaccination or a negative test in past 48 hours in order to enter venue.

• Wow
What movie did you go with this year?

Started going through this list a little while ago, but ended up watching white noise because we both remembered the trailer. If you watch only one on here, I highly recommend Troll 2 from what I've seen.

Also watched Gaslight with Ingrid Bergman over the weekend, which I believe is the film that coined the term? Great movie.

Heading out tomorrow for the annual fishing, board game, craft beer, and bourbon (with some tequila on the side) weekend in Northern NH/almost southern Canada. Rivers may be a bit blown out from all the rain, but that just means more time for Dead of Winter, Battlestar Galactica, Pandemic, and Arkham Horror. Sometimes it pays off to be a board game/flyfishing/fancy beer geek!

Heading out tomorrow for the annual fishing, board game, craft beer, and bourbon (with some tequila on the side) weekend in Northern NH/almost southern Canada. Rivers may be a bit blown out from all the rain, but that just means more time for Dead of Winter, Battlestar Galactica, Pandemic, and Arkham Horror. Sometimes it pays off to be a board game/flyfishing/fancy beer geek!
This genuinely sounds like so many of my college weekends (although generally with scotch instead of tequila). Have fun!!

No plans this weekend, for once. Probably just going to start making the back deck more fall friendly and pack up some of the kid's summer stuff to get it out of the yard. Work on an IME that took forever to test yesterday.

Is this the one with the scenic ****ter? If you have blanco tequilla, make yourself a ranch water if it's hot.

I love how you guys are prepping for the Fall. Where I live, the days of 110+ degree heat seem to be going away, which means more outside time. I'm going up to the in-laws cabin. My wife is hitting the third trimester. We got my boy pretty much in big boy undies throughout the day with no accidents. I'm going to do a long solo ride tomorrow. Should be 70+ miles with 6000 feet of elevation change. I downloaded some good audiobooks for the 5ish hours I'll be on the bike. I am really liking Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series (it's lighthearted).

Is this the one with the scenic ****ter? If you have blanco tequilla, make yourself a ranch water if it's hot.

I love how you guys are prepping for the Fall. Where I live, the days of 110+ degree heat seem to be going away, which means more outside time. I'm going up to the in-laws cabin. My wife is hitting the third trimester. We got my boy pretty much in big boy undies throughout the day with no accidents. I'm going to do a long solo ride tomorrow. Should be 70+ miles with 6000 feet of elevation change. I downloaded some good audiobooks for the 5ish hours I'll be on the bike. I am really liking Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series (it's lighthearted).
Hi five for potty training. Got the Baby Bear pretty much trained too. What a game changer.

Random thought that I didn't know where to post anywhere else: does anyone else think that The Trust is kind of a creepy name? It sounds like an organization that secretly influences people's lives. Or the title of a reality show.

I just bought the big boy iPhone 13 pro max. I was reading the policies regarding my CE reimbursement and they sneakily changed policy last year to include a smart phone (up to 1200 dollars every two years).