Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Acadia is one of the most beautiful places I’ve been. There’s something special about mountains with coniferous forest transitioning directly to rocky coastline.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Still away on vacation. Sea kayak tour, biking, read four books and one more to go. Going to attempt to teach a remote class from campsite tomorrow evening. Lunch cruise in the canoe on the sound today, with a perfect boat beer.
IMG_4221.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
The most frustrating reviewers are the ones who are very good in a similar, but still very different research area. They know enough to have very specific feedback about what they think should go in the paper, but they don't know enough to realize they're asking for something that doesn't make sense. I am trying to find nice ways of saying "that's not a thing" in my response letter. The other reviewer for the paper, of course, has very good, helpful feedback.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The most frustrating reviewers are the ones who are very good in a similar, but still very different research area. They know enough to have very specific feedback about what they think should go in the paper, but they don't know enough to realize they're asking for something that doesn't make sense. I am trying to find nice ways of saying "that's not a thing" in my response letter. The other reviewer for the paper, of course, has very good, helpful feedback.

One thought: "Thank you very much for raising concern X. While I can certainly see the value of this addition to the overall main findings, I have not encountered strong empirical support for concern X in this specific area. Since I wish to keep my results in line with the prevailing theoretical paradigm, I have elected to not pursue this exploratory avenue."

• Haha
Love it!

It's more like:

"The PHQ includes more than just the PHQ-9. Go away."

Love it!

It's more like:

"The PHQ includes more than just the PHQ-9. Go away."

Maybe just cut and paste this response from ChatGPT:

The Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ) has several versions that are used for different purposes. Here are the commonly known versions of the PHQ:

1. PHQ-2: This is the shortest version of the PHQ and consists of the first two questions from the PHQ-9. It is used as a quick screening tool for depression. The questions assess the frequency of depressed mood and anhedonia (loss of interest or pleasure).

2. PHQ-4: The PHQ-4 is a brief version of the PHQ that assesses both depression and anxiety. It includes the first two questions from the PHQ-9 to assess depressive symptoms and the first two questions from the Generalized Anxiety Disorder scale (GAD-7) to assess symptoms of anxiety.

3. PHQ-9: The PHQ-9 is the most widely used version of the PHQ. It consists of nine questions that correspond to the nine diagnostic criteria for major depressive disorder in the DSM-5. It assesses the severity of depressive symptoms over the past two weeks and is often used in clinical settings to aid in diagnosing depression and monitoring treatment progress.

4. PHQ-15: The PHQ-15 is a somatic symptom severity scale that assesses the presence and severity of physical symptoms commonly associated with depression and anxiety. It includes 15 items related to physical complaints, such as gastrointestinal problems, pain, and fatigue.

5. PHQ-ADS: The PHQ-ADS is a combined screening tool that assesses depression, anxiety, and somatic symptoms. It includes the first two questions from the PHQ-9, the first two questions from the GAD-7, and the first two questions from the PHQ-15.

These versions of the PHQ are widely used in various healthcare settings to screen for and assess symptoms of depression, anxiety, and somatic complaints. They provide a standardized and structured way to evaluate an individual's mental health status and guide further assessment or treatment as needed.

Not passive-aggressive at all.

• Haha
I should absolutely do this.

Reactions: 4 users
My mom now lives mostly in France so I’m visiting her for a week. Loving the wine, cheese, and mostly laid back atmosphere

We got a wonderful puppy last spring. She (named Mabel) was more wonderful than we could've imagined, but unfortunately there was a genetic defect in the litter and we lost her a few days before Christmas last year. I'm so excited to say we are going to pick up this beautiful new addition tomorrow. She's an Australian Labradoodle who we have named Doris (American Flag Girl refers to the pattern on her collar at the breeders). As you can see, she's the absolute cutest in the world!
1690502745925.png

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
For the first 1/2 of sabbatical I'm consulting for a ~50,000 member organization who's curious about the mental health of their people and after months of IRB maneuvering with the college, building the qualtrics site, and back and forth with the org about the importance of precision in the demographic questions they want to ask, quantitative data collection officially began Wednesday. My wife says I'm like a kid on their birthday with how excited I am to pour over a spreadsheet with fresh, unseen data. It's true, I love uninterrupted time with a spreadsheet; if recruitment goes as we like, we'll have ~22,000 data points in a few weeks. About 10% of that has come in so far, and my assumptions already seem to be wrong in one area! Qualitative semi-structured interviews with a much smaller selection are planned for mid-fall.

But first: seeing Barbie today and getting our kids their first passports.

Happy friday y'all!

Members don't see this ad :)
So... buying a house is not fun. But, the thought of selling this house, from the 1950s, and all the crap we're gonna need to do, is daunting!

Although we can afford the payment on the new house, things would be a little tight for a while and I would need to seriously cut back my S and P contributions (my main investment strategy)... I'm hoping to make at least 150k on this house so I can recast the loan down about a grand a month.

But, I just spent like 150 dollars buying an oscillating tool and some wood to fix a rotten door jamb. It looks better though! I think i'm just gonna pay a handyman to everything else...

So... buying a house is not fun. But, the thought of selling this house, from the 1950s, and all the crap we're gonna need to do, is daunting!

Although we can afford the payment on the new house, things would be a little tight for a while and I would need to seriously cut back my S and P contributions (my main investment strategy)... I'm hoping to make at least 150k on this house so I can recast the loan down about a grand a month.

But, I just spent like 150 dollars buying an oscillating tool and some wood to fix a rotten door jamb. It looks better though! I think i'm just gonna pay a handyman to everything else...

With interest rates the way they are, may want to consider renting a year or two. Some forecasts projecting a dip around 5% by end of year 2024. And, with a dip in rates, some sellers will come off the sidelines and inventory should open up.

Reactions: 1 user
With interest rates the way they are, may want to consider renting a year or two. Some forecasts projecting a dip around 5% by end of year 2024. And, with a dip in rates, some sellers will come off the sidelines and inventory should open up.
I don’t think I have the temperament for that

Went to the first day of Gottman level 1 today and will do the second day tomorrow. Good stuff.
My then girlfriend and I listened to one of the Gottman audiobooks on a road trip to Yellowstone or a family reunion or Yosemite or something when we were about a year or two into our relationship. I knew I was gonna marry her, but we def had an unhelpful argument style (still do sometimes but can just handle it better). My now wife and I still use some stuff.

- The book helped to give a common language about “bids” and helped us to be more mindful about how we responded while giving a constructive language to discuss those lil interactions. “Yo bro, I feel like you’re turning against” etc. and like why some things can be hurtful.

- The importance of having rituals. My wife still jokingly leans over and says “RITUAL” before giving me rough bed time smooch.

- To this day, when feeling distant because of kids and work etc, we also incorporate tea time he talked about.

- His book was the first time we ever learned about emotional heritage. Like how my family handled disagreement is completely different than hers. It was also a lil bit of a lightbulb about how some of the stuff in my family was lil screwy.

- the giving a kid a pb and j but they gotta make it and clean it up has saved a lot of frustration around dinner time.

I’m sure there are many more. Either way - super helpful way to start a relationship.

Last edited:
Have to do some last minute live (but online) CEU "trainings" today. Ugghhh. First is on Mental Health/PTSD and the military which one state (CT) requires (at least one hour of military/veteran stuff every few CE cycles). Other is on ethics, so whatever. I just wish we, as a field, would give up this sham of CEUs. You can easily get what you need without any improvement on your ability to do what you do. Though I do get reimbursed, they also do cost somebody money, which- on top of the $570 every year renewal in CT is pretty pricey. For comparison, MA psych renewal is $270 every 2 years. Ad in my BCBA and MA behavior analyst licensure, and it's a lot of CEU and renewal fees.

Have to do some last minute live (but online) CEU "trainings" today. Ugghhh. First is on Mental Health/PTSD and the military which one state (CT) requires (at least one hour of military/veteran stuff every few CE cycles). Other is on ethics, so whatever. I just wish we, as a field, would give up this sham of CEUs. You can easily get what you need without any improvement on your ability to do what you do. Though I do get reimbursed, they also do cost somebody money, which- on top of the $570 every year renewal in CT is pretty pricey. For comparison, MA psych renewal is $270 every 2 years. Ad in my BCBA and MA behavior analyst licensure, and it's a lot of CEU and renewal fees.

Yeah, I am not a fan of the "required" CEUs. When those come around, it's pretty much finding some joke online CE that I let run in the background while I do other work, and quickly do the "quiz" at the end that can be answered correctly by pretty much anyone who can feed themselves independently. The rise in required CEUs in some states will not have the desired effect, in my opinion.

One of my states is pretty open with what counts. We can use journal reviewing, preparing new presentations, and some other work for a certain percentage of our hours.

Yeah, I am not a fan of the "required" CEUs. When those come around, it's pretty much finding some joke online CE that I let run in the background while I do other work, and quickly do the "quiz" at the end that can be answered correctly by pretty much anyone who can feed themselves independently. The rise in required CEUs in some states will not have the desired effect, in my opinion.

One of my states is pretty open with what counts. We can use journal reviewing, preparing new presentations, and some other work for a certain percentage of our hours.

I just did a bunch of those this past week to knock the "Live CE" requirement that is completely pointless but required. Maybe 10% of the talks were engaging and relevant to my life. Unfortunately, I will be traveling when the better CEs are available. They really just need to make a state repository of trainings and allow people to view what they need if they do not get rid of the requirement entirely. Unfortunately, my experience is that the opposite is happening (more states instituting increased CE requirements).

Question for those licensed in multiple states: do you count your CEs toward all your licenses (ie, double dip) or do you complete additional CEs for every state licensed? I am now licensed in two states and have not found it addressed in either set of statutes. Of course, I can contact my boards, but one is pretty non responsive. I am hoping for some general guidance on how you approach this, such as if you know of any jurisdictions that have addressed this and set a precedent.

Question for those licensed in multiple states: do you count your CEs toward all your licenses (ie, double dip) or do you complete additional CEs for every state licensed? I am now licensed in two states and have not found it addressed in either set of statutes. Of course, I can contact my boards, but one is pretty non responsive. I am hoping for some general guidance on how you approach this, such as if you know of any jurisdictions that have addressed this and set a precedent.
Most states I've seen let you "double dip," or at least don't have a policy against it.

Yes- One state is 20 every two years, other is 10 every year, so I just make sure to do 10 each year and consider it done. I have non-psych certifications (BCBA) and licensure (LABA) that also require CEUs. If I participate in CEU event that that qualifies for all of those, you bet I count it for all of them!

Yes- One state is 20 every two years, other is 10 every year, so I just make sure to do 10 each year and consider it done. I have non-psych certifications (BCBA) and licensure (LABA) that also require CEUs. If I participate in CEU event that that qualifies for all of those, you bet I count it for all of them!
What do you think of behavioral analysts now being licensed? (Also, this is making me want to finally get my BCBA, now that I have tenure).

Had a job interview today and accepted a verbal offer, written offer to come with references check and background check. Excited about new opportunities!!

What do you think of behavioral analysts now being licensed? (Also, this is making me want to finally get my BCBA, now that I have tenure).
Licensure is a double-edged sword. On the positive side, it offers consumers a higher degree of protections and resolutions at the local level through a local licensing board. Having a local board also gives more direct voice to ABA with state governments. The practice of ABA in MA, where we have 3000+ BCBAs is very different and needs a different type of oversight than the practice of ABA in- say- Wyoming, where there are less than 50 BCBAs. While I appreciated the convenience of national certification and the BACB's efforts, and I think they've done a pretty remarkable job advancing the field, having an entire discipline overseen by what is basically a private company could be problematic if you get the wrong people in there. I do think that local licensure will mean the eventual demise (or at least decrease in importance) of the BACB. As it is, you can be a LABA in MA and not be a BCBA, with no difference in the important stuff (e.g., codes you can bill and how much you get per code!).

The biggest drawbacks to licensure is the lack of portability, as well as differing standards and timelines. out states are pretty small up here in the Northeast- I'm within a 30 minute drive of 4 states (including my own), and two more if you up that to a 60 minute drive. I'm only licensed as an LABA in one of those (and a psychologist in 2). While most state ABA regulations have exemptions where a licensed psychologist with appropriate training and experience can provide ABA services, it's still a potential burden. Plus, licensure costs money, including CEUs. Me and some of my colleagues have just run into an issue where the BACB allows all of our CEUS to come from teaching college courses, MA LABA does not. That adds 20 CEUs every two years that I need to get from paying for and attending something (and it's not easy to find programs that count for BACB and APA CEUs). I also have an issue with how I got my BCBA not meeting criteria for licensure. The state ABA licensure laws that I have seen generally have had a few-years grandfathering period where having a BCBA is enough to make you eligible. After that period, you need to meet the graduate education requirements, which I don't. I met my BCBA eligibility through working for 10 years in ABA post doctorate and undergoing a portfolio review. I have no actual graduate coursework in ABA, and thus would not meet requirements for licensure. This will cease becoming an issue as my cohort (those of us who trained before BCBA and formal ABA grad training was really a thing) "disappear" from the field. Still- I have a good 15-20 years of practice left in, and I could have problems if I wanted to move somewhere else.

On the topic of you getting your BCBA- If don't meet the coursework requirements and would need one of the other options (history of teaching or practice), you might want to get on that soon. Those pathways disappear in 2027. The pathway of just having appropriate coursework disappears in 2032, after which you would have to have a degree from and ABAI approved or recognized grad program in order to meet eligibility requirements.

Reporting from somewhere way up in the Andean mountains, I'm about a month into PC service now (three months in country). Milking cows, teaching english, speaking spanish, hanging out, and reading Freud. It's an adjustment, but life's good!

Last edited:
  • Love
I'm in Nashville and tried the Bushwacker for the first time. So good!

I'm in Nashville and tried the Bushwacker for the first time. So good!
Adele's and Mockingbird in the Gulch are some of my favorite places to eat! Pins Mechanical (also in the Gulch) is great for Sunday Funday!

Thanks for all of the recommendations! Hot chicken is definitely a favorite.

We move into the new place on saturday. So today is my friday...

Couple of questions:
  1. Does anyone have the LG fridge that makes the bougie spherical craft ice?
  2. If the cabinet space is 35 and 3/5 inches, does that mean I can get a fridge exactly that width?

We move into the new place on saturday. So today is my friday...

Couple of questions:
  1. Does anyone have the LG fridge that makes the bougie spherical craft ice?
  2. If the cabinet space is 35 and 3/5 inches, does that mean I can get a fridge exactly that width?
We have an LG fridge that is pretty nice, but ice is not fancy shaped.
Bring a tape measure when you're fridge shopping- published specs not always down to the 1/4 inch!

Congrats on the move!

some interactive free events for anyone interested:

"Gab with the Greats"
hosted by APA div 29, free, 9/18 10am ET, register below

"The Therapist Throwdown 2023"
hosted by The International Deliberate Practice Society, free, registration closes end of month, link above

Attachments

• Gab with the Greats Flyer_08.24.2023.pdf
    50 KB · Views: 37
It's Friday, I am tired because my kid decided she didn't want to go to bed last night, and my one of patient's just "left the session/ hung up" on me because I would not reinforce their negative cognitive distortions about life being terrible. At least the weekend is almost here.

It's Friday, I am tired because my kid decided she didn't want to go to bed last night, and my one of patient's just "left the session/ hung up" on me because I would not reinforce their negative cognitive distortions about life being terrible. At least the weekend is almost here.

How dare you "gaslight" your patient!

CPT produces some of the most satisfying "aha!" moments.

a free event by Rutgers and Montclair St. U
happy friday!

The 4th Annual Virtual Symposium: Transforming the Health Research Landscape for Justice and Equity
November 8th-9th, 2023

REGISTER FOR DAYS 1 & 2 HERE!!!

Keynote Speakers​

Dr. David S. Kountz – Chief Academic Officer and Vice President, Academic Diversity for Hackensack Meridian Health​

Dr. Ndidiamaka Amutah-Onukagha – Assistant Dean for Diversity and Inclusion, and Julia A. Okoro Professor of Black Maternal Health at Tufts University​

REGISTER HERE
For the full agenda and more information, check out our website

Attachments

• Campus Flyer Symposium.pdf
    366.6 KB · Views: 35
So, today is Yom Kippur (arguably the highest of the Jewish High Holy Days), and at our morning service, a guy ran in and screamed that we Jews are evil and that he wanted to kill us (or something of the like--it was a bit incoherent but definitely explicitly violent). Thankfully our security caught him and did a quick sweep of the building before it could escalate further, but it was understandably very frightening. Wtf is with people and wanting to kill Jews all the time?

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
So, today is Yom Kippur (arguably the highest of the Jewish High Holy Days), and at our morning service, a guy ran in and screamed that we Jews are evil and that he wanted to kill us (or something of the like--it was a bit incoherent but definitely explicitly violent). Thankfully our security caught him and did a quick sweep of the building before it could escalate further, but it was understandably very frightening. Wtf is with people and wanting to kill Jews all the time?

Downsides of being the chosen people. That said, it is very unoriginal. He even missed Erev Yom Kippur, so he will have a year work up to asking for forgiveness.

I’m sorry you experienced that. How scary. Thankfully he didn’t hurt anybody.