Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's more recently informed gear review. Just did the bi-annual 5-day backpacking trip. Here's some shots of the lower leg gear:
View attachment 384224
Oboz ankle high (I can't find a specific model name on them) with yak-trax slip ons and Hill Sound gaiters. I love the gaiters- fit great (especially like the adjustment strap at the top of the thigh) and incredibly water/mud resistant. they are pretty thick, waxed (or more likely plasticized) canvas. Not sure if they are rattler proof, but combined with a thick canvas pant underneath, there's a lot of protection there). Our March trip has historically been in the snow (often with snowshoes), and the set-up is great with snow and ice. This year it was very muddy and wet, with lots of puddles. Low top hikers and gaiters kept all the mud and water off the pants. The yak-trax actually gave an added bit of grip in the mud, which was a bit suprising- i thought they would be overkill. I'm still up-in-the air with the Oboz, as they are VERY stiff in the sole. However, this hike involves a lot of logging roads. The area we hiked (Merck Forest in VT- yep, the pharmaceutical Merck family), uses the road for ATV vehicles to access forestry projects and mapling operations, so they put down a lot of litttle, sharp rocks for traction and erosion control. Made me really appreciate the stiff soles (my wife has lighter hiking Keens, and she felt some of the rock poking into her- I did not). We got 3 inches of snow for the hike out, so I was happy to have the gaiters and the yak-trax.
I’ve been thinking about getting some gaiters for snakes! I love the beefy toe on those boots.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
the competency / capacity debate -- too real -- and the "late onset schizophrenia ..... in an 85yo" - swear I got that consult last week!

Reactions: 1 users
Traveling to a resort with psygal. She gets to lay around and get massages. I get to work somewhere else.

• Haha
a day of no shows at externship, has given me the chance to finalize my diss proposal presentation for monday! just gotta get through group supervision for the final hour of today.

I've got a bike race in two weeks and haven't rode the course yet. But, a weather system is supposed to roll in starting tomorrow with big wind gusts - yuck and rain on sunday. I know I can do the distance no problem. But, I don't know how fast I'll feel, it's my first race in like 10 years. I'm going it with my bro in law - so that'll be fun. I told him i'll be his domestique. I probably need another two 70 mile rides to fully prep. I'll start tapering next week. But, i've been so focused on trail running near our new house that I just haven't been cycling as much.

So tomorrow, I'll prolly harden the F up, wake up early, and just get some distance in, wind and all.

I'll prolly cook some lamb chops on saturday with lemon pepper and then easter egg/in-law stuff sunday.

Clinical work done for the week. Today is a coffee + grading papers marathon day.

I am always in awe of the wild range of undergrad psych paper quality. A roller coaster of good, bad, and wtf.

Reactions: 2 users
I've got a bike race in two weeks and haven't rode the course yet. But, a weather system is supposed to roll in starting tomorrow with big wind gusts - yuck and rain on sunday. I know I can do the distance no problem. But, I don't know how fast I'll feel, it's my first race in like 10 years. I'm going it with my bro in law - so that'll be fun. I told him i'll be his domestique. I probably need another two 70 mile rides to fully prep. I'll start tapering next week. But, i've been so focused on trail running near our new house that I just haven't been cycling as much.

So tomorrow, I'll prolly harden the F up, wake up early, and just get some distance in, wind and all.

I'll prolly cook some lamb chops on saturday with lemon pepper and then easter egg/in-law stuff sunday.
How far is the race?

NYC metro area here: I was in the middle of a telehealth session with a client about 20 miles away from me when it happened. We both paused and were like "wait...do you...feel that too...?" Took us a minute to figure out what had happened.

I thought my dog would be more alarmed but he barely lifted his head.