Friday thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last day at my job that I’ve had for over a decade. A week off and then start my new position.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
breaking out the lettermen, picking the kids up at noon and driving a couple hours to my 30th hs reunion. Homecoming game tonight vs. next-town-over rival and then a saturday dinner thing. I went to the 10 year, missed the 20, should be a good time. Just need the finishing touches on my outfit.
happy friday y'all!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, you almost as old as @Sanman

Almost....@calmich met Adam and Eve. But, it was after our heyday eating forbidden fruits and getting smashed on wine. Ahh, the good old days....the stories I could tell about that Eve!

• Haha
Almost....@calmich met Adam and Eve. But, it was after our heyday eating forbidden fruits and getting smashed on wine. Ahh, the good old days....the stories I could tell about that Eve!
I think I’ve got you all beat. Next year is our 40th class reunion! Not the kind of contest I necessarily want to win, but at this age it sure beats the alternative!

I think I’ve got you all beat. Next year is our 40th class reunion! Not the kind of contest I necessarily want to win, but at this age it sure beats the alternative!
Wow- you all are making me feel young, and I'm pretty old! Not quite at the 40th, but the 35th has come and gone!

breaking out the lettermen, picking the kids up at noon and driving a couple hours to my 30th hs reunion. Homecoming game tonight vs. next-town-over rival and then a saturday dinner thing. I went to the 10 year, missed the 20, should be a good time. Just need the finishing touches on my outfit.
happy friday y'all!

what did you letter in?

I always assumed you were a 70 yo man.
Nope. Straight up middle aged, semi scrawny, guy.

I just assumed “student” meant younger, and psychology meant mostly female.

“Midway along the journey of our life
I woke to find myself in a dark wood,
for I had wandered off from the straight path.”

Reactions: 1 users
Fancy Friday for me. Billed 50 hours and taught two classes, with another on the schedule tomorrow morning. Felt like a Negroni. I usually cheap out on the Vermouth (e.g. Noilly Prat, which is fine). Splurged on a bottle of Cnia Mata, and it made a big difference (I like Beefeaters for the gin). I was recently gifted a bottle of Old Forester 1897 Bottled in Bond, so of course I had to make a Manhattan (garnished with Luxardo cherries, of course). Good Vermouth makes a difference.

You guys are old.

I always assumed everyone here was younger… and likely female.

Dress Twirl GIF

Members don't see this ad :)
what did you letter in?
calculus...no really. Our school offered yearly tests in the major subjects which attempted to measure students' range of knowledge. The highest scorer was awarded a white academic letter. I took calculus at the JC during my senior year and won the math award. Any one else have these?

and wrestling. 7th grade -sophomore yr of college, then I coached hs for almost a decade. It was a big part of my life, still enjoy the sport.
I left off the marching band letter, but I did have a small golden sousaphone embroidered on the right side.
good times, and they won the game last night!

calculus...no really. Our school offered yearly tests in the major subjects which attempted to measure students' range of knowledge. The highest scorer was awarded a white academic letter. I took calculus at the JC during my senior year and won the math award. Any one else have these?
Ellie Kemper Nerd GIF by The Office

I lettered in nothing. My high school experience was more:

Stranger Things Mike GIF by NETFLIX

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I lettered in football on high school because I was cool. Too bad I found out years later in my neuropsych class just how much brain damage was likely caused from all of the mild concussions. 🤪
Good thing I had a little bit of reserve cognitive abilities. A couple of the guys I played with, not so much. 😳

I lettered in track (shot put, because I was big and slow and too unmotivated to to work too hard, but good at picking up and throwing heavy things). Never got the actual letter because I lost my uniform and didn't show up at turn in day when the letters were handed out.

I lettered in football on high school because I was cool. Too bad I found out years later in my neuropsych class just how much brain damage was likely caused from all of the mild concussions. 🤪
Good thing I had a little bit of reserve cognitive abilities. A couple of the guys I played with, not so much. 😳

Did Bigler teach that neuropsych class?

• Love
Did he run a concussion clinic that financially benefited from people believing that they were more impaired than they actually were or something?
I get what you’re saying, but he was talking about concussions way before it became “popular”. 😁
He might have been part of the genesis of it though. I do believe that if I kept getting knocked a little silly like I did every week during football season for multiple years, that it could effect the well oiled machine between my ears that I now try to take care of so well. Of course, as I continue to age, I’m more aware of how important it is to take care of all of the biological parts that have been neglected or abused throughout the years.

I get what you’re saying, but he was talking about concussions way before it became “popular”. 😁
He might have been part of the genesis of it though. I do believe that if I kept getting knocked a little silly like I did every week during football season for multiple years, that it could effect the well oiled machine between my ears that I now try to take care of so well. Of course, as I continue to age, I’m more aware of how important it is to take care of all of the biological parts that have been neglected or abused throughout the years.

Well, if he was scaring people who played high school football, he's no better than all of the other concussion fear mongers. Plenty of research, even back then of the outcomes studies in mTBI/concussion.

Absolutely feel this. I was a varsity soccer player in high school (and rowing because I was a weird prep school kid) and still have a bone spur on my ankle from playing my whole freshman season with a fractured ankle. A contusion in my foot, pulled hamstring, and sprained MCL later I finally decided that I didn't want to deal with injury and college apps my senior year given I wasn't trying to play competitively after high school anyway and rowed a boat all three seasons instead. Too bad my ankle still dislikes repetitive motion where my knee moves over it. I'm fortunate that I can't make it worse through normal activity, but cross country skiing would be way more fun if I didn't have to deal with the constant throbbing. 15/10 still go all the time though :lol:

Well, if he was scaring people who played high school football, he's no better than all of the other concussion fear mongers. Plenty of research, even back then of the outcomes studies in mTBI/concussion.
The NFL CTE thing was so fraudulent, they appointed a special master. The neuropsychologist was dumb enough to use a method of communication that documents time, location, and person. One dude faked dementia necessitating 24 hr care....which must have spontaneously resolved while he was also getting a masters' degree.

Absolutely feel this. I was a varsity soccer player in high school (and rowing because I was a weird prep school kid) and still have a bone spur on my ankle from playing my whole freshman season with a fractured ankle. A contusion in my foot, pulled hamstring, and sprained MCL later I finally decided that I didn't want to deal with injury and college apps my senior year given I wasn't trying to play competitively after high school anyway and rowed a boat all three seasons instead. Too bad my ankle still dislikes repetitive motion where my knee moves over it. I'm fortunate that I can't make it worse through normal activity, but cross country skiing would be way more fun if I didn't have to deal with the constant throbbing. 15/10 still go all the time though :lol:
Yep. I'm still playing ice hockey every week. jury is still out on whether or not it's easier to get hurt at my age (mid 50s), but it definitely takes longer to recover.
Ben playing with the same group for 15 years, and every year seems like somebody "retires." Hope to make it my 60s on the ice.

Cross country skiing is definitely a once a week at most activity- it just requires something the hips that nothing else does (especially if I do too much skate technique with my non-skating, shorter backwoods skis). I hurt for a week afterwards. Hasn't been much of an issue because it just doesn't snow enough here to keep the trails open all winter.

Reactions: 2 users
a request from a licensed provider via a professional listserv I'm on:

"ISO Attachment-Focused Humanistic Witchy Ind Therapist

Dear Colleagues,

I am seeking an individual referral for online therapy. The therapist must be attachment-focused and humanistic (no CBT). Ideally the therapist has a personal belief in magick, if not can well support beliefs in psychic phenomenon, magick, and religious recovery.

Therapists who are 50 or older would be greatly appreciated. Willingness to offer a temporary sliding scale would be a plus. Training in EMDR would be great too.

Please send your responses to me directly on this thread, so I do not miss your response. I may not be able to respond to each email. I will forward every response. Thank you."

happy nearly Friday!

• Wow
  • Haha

Dear Colleagues,

I am seeking an individual referral for online therapy. The therapist must be attachment-focused and humanistic (no CBT). Ideally the therapist has a personal belief in magick, if not can well support beliefs in psychic phenomenon, magick, and religious recovery.

Therapists who are 50 or older would be greatly appreciated. Willingness to offer a temporary sliding scale would be a plus. Training in EMDR would be great too.

Please send your responses to me directly on this thread, so I do not miss your response. I may not be able to respond to each email. I will forward every response. Thank you."

happy nearly Friday!
Tell you're in CA without telling me you're in CA.

• Haha

Dear Colleagues,

happy nearly Friday!

The point of therapy is to not create a circle jerk of labels or interaction.

• Love
For $300/hr, I'll bring a broomstick to therapy. $350 and I will get the pointy hat. 10 session minimum up front.
How much to watch you “create content” with the broom stick on only fans?

Assessment Throwdown 2023 (Live Stream)

Tomorrow Today is the Assessment Throwdown finale. Three graduate students will present their conceptualizations of an assessment vignette before a live panel of judges. The judges are comprised of deeply respected experts in the field of assessment psychology and me.
Date: Friday 12/1/23
Time: 9am (Pacific Time) / 12pm (Eastern Time)
Zoom Link: https://wright.zoom.us/j/86097171652

Host: Hadas Pade, PsyD
Judges: Jordan Wright, PhD; Jill Clemence, PhD; Andres Chou, PsyD
Brought to you by: The Assessment Psychology Section of Division 12 (The Society of Clinical Psychology)
Co-sponsored by: The Buros Center for Testing.

happy friday y'all!

It finally happened. I ran across an ad for video game-based group therapy. You can facilitate a group in Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing, etc.

We started potty training the two year old so this weekend will involve lots of running her to potty at set intervals or 5 to 30 minutes and reinforcement (in the form of mini "emenememams" or gummy sharks for peeing in the potty. Fellow parents, what do you think about reinforcing dryness intermittently?

I got some new raw denim and they're taking their maiden voyage today.

The 8 year old twin cousins are spending the night sunday so their parents can attend some screamo show on sunday. I think there is some football game on that day - so maybe I'll cook smoke some ribs or brisket or pulled pork or tri tip or maybe a chucky (smoked beef chuck that is pulled) for tacos.

I signed up for a metric century race in April with my brother in law. My goal is act as his domestique so he can get a PR. I can easily ride that distance now, but I have a few months to prep. But it's gonna be rainy on saturday (we've gotten a ton of rain this week, it's nice, but also obnoxious). So I might have to do a peloton powerzone endurance ride - which are so boring, but are also excellent training rides.

One thing I'm feeling pretty good about is in March of 2021, I tore my meniscus, I decided to just do PT and not surgery. I couldn't run for about 18 months and at one point thought I may never jog again. But, I started slowly and was able to begin jogging on it again. Well we moved to be close to a mountain preserve with tons of trails and I've been getting up at 430 to run in the dark and now my average mileage is up! Some mornings I''ll crank out 5 or six miles (i'm not breaking any records at 12 minute miles, and trip sometimes). The last three sundays I've gotten in a long run that was nearly 8.5 miles! It feels so good, and the dogs love it. I wear a belt thingy with a bungee leader for their leash (because I don't want them eaten by coyotes). But my weight is decreasing and my knee doesn't really bug me anymore. It's wonderful.

It finally happened. I ran across an ad for video game-based group therapy. You can facilitate a group in Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing, etc.

Will they pay me? lol

• Haha
We started potty training the two year old so this weekend will involve lots of running her to potty at set intervals or 5 to 30 minutes and reinforcement (in the form of mini "emenememams" or gummy sharks for peeing in the potty. Fellow parents, what do you think about reinforcing dryness intermittently?

I got some new raw denim and they're taking their maiden voyage today.

The 8 year old twin cousins are spending the night sunday so their parents can attend some screamo show on sunday. I think there is some football game on that day - so maybe I'll cook smoke some ribs or brisket or pulled pork or tri tip or maybe a chucky (smoked beef chuck that is pulled) for tacos.

I signed up for a metric century race in April with my brother in law. My goal is act as his domestique so he can get a PR. I can easily ride that distance now, but I have a few months to prep. But it's gonna be rainy on saturday (we've gotten a ton of rain this week, it's nice, but also obnoxious). So I might have to do a peloton powerzone endurance ride - which are so boring, but are also excellent training rides.

One thing I'm feeling pretty good about is in March of 2021, I tore my meniscus, I decided to just do PT and not surgery. I couldn't run for about 18 months and at one point thought I may never jog again. But, I started slowly and was able to begin jogging on it again. Well we moved to be close to a mountain preserve with tons of trails and I've been getting up at 430 to run in the dark and now my average mileage is up! Some mornings I''ll crank out 5 or six miles (i'm not breaking any records at 12 minute miles, and trip sometimes). The last three sundays I've gotten in a long run that was nearly 8.5 miles! It feels so good, and the dogs love it. I wear a belt thingy with a bungee leader for their leash (because I don't want them eaten by coyotes). But my weight is decreasing and my knee doesn't really bug me anymore. It's wonderful.
Good luck with the potty training! I can't recall anything but verbal reinforcement for dryness, but that was quite a while ago and I'm pretty bad at that ABA stuff in my personal life!

I tore my meniscus a few years back. I had to do the surgery because knee would frequently lock up and I'd have to pound on it to free it up and un bend it. I was back playing hockey (no-contact, old man/woman beer league, but still!) in 2 weeks. Really only hurt when I was gliding around corners, and that only lasted a few weeks. Other guys I play with have done nothing for it, and some have gone the rehab route. I think it's a very idiosyncratic injury and as long as the joint works (the knee, not the self medication, you delinquents) you have a wide range of options as to how to proceed. Regardless of what you choose, weight loss is key (and the hardest, especially when you're over 50!).

My hockey group is playing in fancy charity game at the local big professional rink tomorrow (AHL rink, so think crappy small city and 8000 seat arena). My wife and grown kids will actually be there watching me play, which never happens. They are going to be very disappointed! Even though it feels like I'm going fast, hustling, playing my position, etc., I'm almost certain that it doesn't look that way! Still pretty exciting to be in the big arena, even if only 50 or so of the seats will have people in them. Even more excited for the after game at the Brewery across the street.

Another meniscus tearer here. Happened to me during Peace Corps service while hiking down a Bolivian mountain. I had PT in Bolivia, then was recommended for surgery in Panama and spent two+ weeks at Johns Hopkins Panama. I had a partial meniscectomy and it's been good since, almost 20 years ago.

We're packing bags this weekend, leaving for Mexico on Sunday for the rest of the month. I wrapped up the bulk of my consulting gig last week and handed in an 80-page, 17,500-word draft of the final report with findings and recommendations. The funders will have a few weeks to mull it over and then we'll reconvene in March.
Happy Friday!

Another meniscus tearer here. Happened to me during Peace Corps service while hiking down a Bolivian mountain. I had PT in Bolivia, then was recommended for surgery in Panama and spent two+ weeks at Johns Hopkins Panama. I had a partial meniscectomy and it's been good since, almost 20 years ago.

We're packing bags this weekend, leaving for Mexico on Sunday for the rest of the month. I wrapped up the bulk of my consulting gig last week and handed in an 80-page, 17,500-word draft of the final report with findings and recommendations. The funders will have a few weeks to mull it over and then we'll reconvene in March.
Happy Friday!

I feel like I need to steal this story. I have chronic knee hyperextension issues that started with an MCL injury in high school. However, the story was nowhere near as fun.

I feel like I need to steal this story. I have chronic knee hyperextension issues that started with an MCL injury in high school. However, the story was nowhere near as fun.
lol, go ahead. My buddy laughed at me when it happened, not knowing how bad it was. We were descending on scree and I stepped awkwardly and stumbled...made it down with him talking smack the whole time.

lol, go ahead. My buddy laughed at me when it happened, not knowing how bad it was. We were descending on scree and I stepped awkwardly and stumbled...made it down with him talking smack the whole time.
Pretty sure I messed up my meniscus doing laundry and slipping on the bottom stair carrying the basket, but if you ask me in a non-anonymous forum, it happened when I rescuing those babies and puppies from that fire at the orphanage next to the animal shelter (on the first baby rescue, but I sucked it up saved at least a dozen more).

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Scree is no joke (source: I’ve eaten **** way too many times…)

• Care
Pretty sure I messed up my meniscus doing laundry and slipping on the bottom stair carrying the basket, but if you ask me in a non-anonymous forum, it happened when I rescuing those babies and puppies from that fire at the orphanage next to the animal shelter (on the first baby rescue, but I sucked it up saved at least a dozen more).
I think I injured mine on a jog when I stepped on a steel utility box cover that I had stepped on about 300 times.

As an aside, I'm shopping for new hiking boots. Looking for something with a wide toe box, leather (so burs don't get stuck into my socks when bushwhacking), and maybe something I can do some light work/digging in. Any recommendations?

I think I injured mine on a jog when I stepped on a steel utility box cover that I had stepped on about 300 times.

As an aside, I'm shopping for new hiking boots. Looking for something with a wide toe box, leather (so burs don't get stuck into my socks when bushwhacking), and maybe something I can do some light work/digging in. Any recommendations?
I have a pair of Oboz low rise. Probably comparable to what's now called a Sawtooth model. The sole is definitely stiff, but good protection from some of the sharp little stones. I throw on some gaiters for snow or mud season.

I

I had good experiences with Keen and Vasque back in college. Asolo are also great, although pricey - would recommend sizing up. Nowadays I do almost everything in low rise Altras….

I

I had good experiences with Keen and Vasque back in college. Asolo are also great, although pricey - would recommend sizing up. Nowadays I do almost everything in low rise Altras….
Yeah - huge fan of the lone peaks. But they collect burs in grass. I guess I could gator up. Might not be a bad idea in rattlesnake areas.

It's not Friday, but I just want to complain that the community theatre production I'm in is in tech this week, and I am dying. Next time I'm taking off during tech week.

It's not Friday, but I just want to complain that the community theatre production I'm in is in tech this week, and I am dying. Next time I'm taking off during tech week.
I feel this!!! I’m in a community choir and during our last concert week we had three dress rehearsals and concerts both weekend days, then back to normally scheduled rehearsal the Monday after. Really love singing and the choir community but damn that was a lot

• Care

Here's more recently informed gear review. Just did the bi-annual 5-day backpacking trip. Here's some shots of the lower leg gear:
1710798771171.jpeg

Oboz ankle high (I can't find a specific model name on them) with yak-trax slip ons and Hill Sound gaiters. I love the gaiters- fit great (especially like the adjustment strap at the top of the thigh) and incredibly water/mud resistant. they are pretty thick, waxed (or more likely plasticized) canvas. Not sure if they are rattler proof, but combined with a thick canvas pant underneath, there's a lot of protection there). Our March trip has historically been in the snow (often with snowshoes), and the set-up is great with snow and ice. This year it was very muddy and wet, with lots of puddles. Low top hikers and gaiters kept all the mud and water off the pants. The yak-trax actually gave an added bit of grip in the mud, which was a bit suprising- i thought they would be overkill. I'm still up-in-the air with the Oboz, as they are VERY stiff in the sole. However, this hike involves a lot of logging roads. The area we hiked (Merck Forest in VT- yep, the pharmaceutical Merck family), uses the road for ATV vehicles to access forestry projects and mapling operations, so they put down a lot of litttle, sharp rocks for traction and erosion control. Made me really appreciate the stiff soles (my wife has lighter hiking Keens, and she felt some of the rock poking into her- I did not). We got 3 inches of snow for the hike out, so I was happy to have the gaiters and the yak-trax.