From Canada to Aussieland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slam Master J

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I'm relatively new to exploring the idea of studying medicine in Australia. I'm actually very excited to go study abroad, and I've learned alot about the Irish programs, but definitely want to think hard about Australia as well.

The meat of my question is:

Which Unis have programmes that accept graduates into a medical program, and how do Canadians apply? Is there an Australian equivalent of the Atlantic Bridge Program?

Any information would be awesome, and I'm excited to hear opinions from other North Americans on a similar path.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

As you may know, most Australian schools are similiar to the Irish/English system. However, the 4-year graduate program is becoming more prominent in Australia. The three main schools providing the graduate course are Flinders University (where I went), University of Queensland, and Sydney. Competition for international spots can be quite competitive, so you need a good GPA and good MCAT or GAMSAT scores. Now you can apply directly to your school of choice or through ACER (national application service). Check out the individual school websites as a good place to start.

Thanks FlindersGrad,

That's some good information. Are you originally from Canada? If so, how did you find the application process?

I come from an engineering background, but I've been stepping up my medical-field related work by doing research in radiation oncology. My last three years of undergrad are 83, 81, and 89% respectively (I really don't know how the Aussie schools convert their grades), and I wrote a 32R MCAT. Any thoughts on where I stand?

Also, do Flinders, UQ and Sydney tend to focus on the well-balanced application (lots of extra-curriculars/volunteer stuff etc.), or more so just on the numbers?

Thanks for your two-cents. It's worth alot.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
I am originally from the US. I went to Flinders for med school, worked in Australia for a few years, and now I'm back in the US.
Certainly Australian schools will look for well rounded candidates (plus your med related work is helpful), but just like most schools...the numbers count for a lot. You have a fairly good MCAT score. I'm not sure how your undergrad percentages work out to a GPA, but providing it's above 3.0 it should be OK.
If I were you, I would start contacting some of the schools now just to get some further information. Unlike the NA and European schools, the Australian school year begins in January.

FlindersGrad said:
I am originally from the US. I went to Flinders for med school, worked in Australia for a few years, and now I'm back in the US.
Certainly Australian schools will look for well rounded candidates (plus your med related work is helpful), but just like most schools...the numbers count for a lot. You have a fairly good MCAT score. I'm not sure how your undergrad percentages work out to a GPA, but providing it's above 3.0 it should be OK.
If I were you, I would start contacting some of the schools now just to get some further information. Unlike the NA and European schools, the Australian school year begins in January.
Hi FlinderGrad!
Do you know if US residencies prefer or give any additional advantage to individuals with intercalated B.Sc. degree along with MBBS/MBChB as some of the hospital are giving in UK?

I'm not quite sure I fully understand the question. Are you asking...Do US residencies like to see post-graduate 4 year degrees rather than a traditional 6 year degree with no undergrad?

If that's the question, I don't really have a firm answer. My degree was a 4 year post graduate course. I had no problems finding a residency.

Also, the international grads I know who went to 6 year courses already had an undergraduate degree in the US or Canada.

FlindersGrad said:
I'm not quite sure I fully understand the question. Are you asking...Do US residencies like to see post-graduate 4 year degrees rather than a traditional 6 year degree with no undergrad?

If that's the question, I don't really have a firm answer. My degree was a 4 year post graduate course. I had no problems finding a residency.

Also, the international grads I know who went to 6 year courses already had an undergraduate degree in the US or Canada.

Let me explain my situation and clarify my question. I have been offered admission in MBChB (5 years program) at Birmingham Medical School (UK). However, school also allows to take a number of aditional courses between 2nd and 3rd year of MBChB which takes an additional year. This makes the overall program for six years but then the student get MBChB plus B.Sc. degrees. Some hospitals in UK prefer students to have MBChB plus B.Sc. degrees than only MBChB degree. So my question is whether US residencies pefer or give any advantage to students having MBChBwith B.Sc. degree than the students with only MBChB/MBBS degree.

I want to make a decision, in light of US residencies, whether I should go for only MBChB degree or MBChB plus B.Sc degree. I will appreciate your views on that. I hope I am clear now.

ballaballa said:
Let me explain my situation and clarify my question. I have been offered admission in MBChB (5 years program) at Birmingham Medical School (UK). However, school also allows to take a number of aditional courses between 2nd and 3rd year of MBChB which takes an additional year. This makes the overall program for six years but then the student get MBChB plus B.Sc. degrees. Some hospitals in UK prefer students to have MBChB plus B.Sc. degrees than only MBChB degree. So my question is whether US residencies pefer or give any advantage to students having MBChBwith B.Sc. degree than the students with only MBChB/MBBS degree.

I want to make a decision, in light of US residencies, whether I should go for only MBChB degree or MBChB plus B.Sc degree. I will appreciate your views on that. I hope I am clear now.

Hey ballaballa...I had the same question as you...I'm currently doing my 3rd yr undergrad med and want to apply for an honors program which will be undertaken during the whole of my 4th yr med. If I succeed then i'll get an extra Bsc(Med)Hons with my MBBS at the end of 6yrs. So will an extra research degree increase my chances of being selected into competitive residency programs like surgery? My profs said it doesn't matter 'cos what they look for mostly are your clinical skills grades in the 5th and 6th years...

I've read some of your posts before, but I can't remember if you already have an undergrad degree or not. It's difficult for me to answer the question, because honestly...I'm not sure. Maybe there is someone out there who has been through this and knows.
My thoughs anyway...

If you already have an undergrad degree, I really don't think the extra year is going to benefit you in the match. And to be honest, you would be wasting a year and delaying your training. I would not do it...but that's just me. Plus it probably costs you another year in tuition and living expenses for very little gain.

If, however, you do not have a previous degree it might be wise.

The previous poster talked about doing an honors year with research. If you are trying for a competitive specialty, this research time may help you (especially if you publish anything). BUT, I still think if you are a competitive applicant (good LOR's, great USMLE scores, etc.) you really don't need it.

Hey...thanks for your advice...So I guess the actual med course scores are more important...anyway for my case it's a bit different 'cos in the 6 yr med program @ unsw it's compulsory for every student to undertake one entire year of reasearch...it's what they call the independent learning project...so I decided heck...put in more effort and time...convert the project into an honors...earn an extra degree...though it does cost more and I have to squeeze some external fac courses now in my 3rd year...

Final written and clinical exams are coming up in month...stress...gd luck to everyone =)

FlindersGrad said:
I've read some of your posts before, but I can't remember if you already have an undergrad degree or not. It's difficult for me to answer the question, because honestly...I'm not sure. Maybe there is someone out there who has been through this and knows.
My thoughs anyway...

If you already have an undergrad degree, I really don't think the extra year is going to benefit you in the match. And to be honest, you would be wasting a year and delaying your training. I would not do it...but that's just me. Plus it probably costs you another year in tuition and living expenses for very little gain.

The previous poster talked about doing an honors year with research. If you are trying for a competitive specialty, this research time may help you (especially if you publish anything). BUT, I still think if you are a competitive applicant (good LOR's, great USMLE scores, etc.) you really don't need it.

Hi FlindersGrad!

I do not have undergrad degree. Currently, I am completing High School from Canada that's why I wanted to know if an additional B.Sc. degree with MBChB will be any advantage for US residencies. However, the decision whether to the complete intercalated B.Sc. degree or not can be taken as I learn more about it during my first two years of MBChB program.

FlindersGrad said:
My thoughs anyway...

FlindersGrad-
I am a pre-med student in the US right now and was also considering doing med school in australia. I was wondering how hard of a time did you or any of the other american international studnets have finding residency back in the US, or did you stay to do it in Australia? Also, is it very hard for internationals to get accepted, and overall how was your experience studying in australia...do you recomend it? How does their school system compare to that of the US?
Thanks!!

rxp13 said:
FlindersGrad-
I am a pre-med student in the US right now and was also considering doing med school in australia. I was wondering how hard of a time did you or any of the other american international studnets have finding residency back in the US, or did you stay to do it in Australia? Also, is it very hard for internationals to get accepted, and overall how was your experience studying in australia...do you recomend it? How does their school system compare to that of the US?
Thanks!!

Hi
I did'nt have a very difficult time finding a residency in the US. Just matched this year in fact (anesthesia at Mayo Clinic). However, I had good academics and really good board scores. That's mostly the key!! You are at a slight disadvantage, but if you work hard to prove yourself you should do fine. Also, I worked as a resident in Australia for 2.5 years after graduation. I believe this experience really gave me a hugh advantage to those just coming out of medical school.

If you want to study in Australia, look at these schools: Flinders Uni, Uni of Queensland, and Sydney Uni. Flinders has the strongest 4 year program. Overall acceptance is competitive, but all med school are...right. Education in Australia is very different to the US system, and it takes some getting use to. However, the education is extremely solid. Courses are taught in PBL fashion and all tests are Q and A plus essay (no multi choice).

I hope this helps

No offence, but people who call Australia Aussieland really piss me off. Who came up with that phrase? It sounds idiotic. We don't call America seppoland. :p

Hanse said:
No offence, but people who call Australia Aussieland really piss me off. Who came up with that phrase? It sounds idiotic. We don't call America seppoland. :p

:D

Agreed. "Aussieland" sounds goofy.

But I think it's a term of endearment, so don't be rude to the OP, who I understood comes from Canuckland, not Seppoland. :)