From Dentistry to Podiatry (NYCPM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SydSam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Greetings,
I am currently finishing up my 1st year of dentistry at the University of Sydney (Australia) and for a multitude of reasons have decided to look into podiatry. The surgical aspects of it are much more appealing than the drilling aspects of dentistry.

I am a little concerned as each of the Pod schools seem to require an english course of which I have none. In my undergrad days (BSc Biology) I chose psychologies as my arts options as I thought they would serve me well when working in a social field (Took 6 in total). Are these requirements set in stone or have you heard of exceptions being made? I have proposed to the admissions department that I could take an english course via VOD from my undergrad college during this first term as it is 'decelerated' if I am accepted yet have not heard back.

My marks were good enough to get me into Usyd (GPA under 3 with 18+s on my dat) although I'm a little concerned about not having the grades to make the cut. I am planning on applying to the January stream which I'm told is decelerated, are the entrance requirements any different than the Sept start stream?

Are there any statistics about NYCPM's past admissions available? (Just so i know the odds).

Finally, as I said I'm completing my first year at Usyd so getting to NYC for an in-person interview would be impossible. Does anyone know if they offer phone interviews (that is how I did my interview for USyd)?

Thank you very much for all the info,
SydSam

PS: I'm American so no worries about getting a visa :D

Most of these questions will be very difficult to answer b/c it is such a unique situation. I would call the school and talk to the admissions director. I would not worry about your stats b/c NYCPM is on the lower end of the average admission stats. Good luck and ga day mate.:laugh:

what do u mean by applying in January is decelerated compared to September. If so then is it better to apply in January by waiting and not applying as soon as possible?

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Greetings,
I am currently finishing up my 1st year of dentistry at the University of Sydney (Australia) and for a multitude of reasons have decided to look into podiatry. The surgical aspects of it are much more appealing than the drilling aspects of dentistry.

I am a little concerned as each of the Pod schools seem to require an english course of which I have none. In my undergrad days (BSc Biology) I chose psychologies as my arts options as I thought they would serve me well when working in a social field (Took 6 in total). Are these requirements set in stone or have you heard of exceptions being made? I have proposed to the admissions department that I could take an english course via VOD from my undergrad college during this first term as it is 'decelerated' if I am accepted yet have not heard back.

My marks were good enough to get me into Usyd (GPA under 3 with 18+s on my dat) although I'm a little concerned about not having the grades to make the cut. I am planning on applying to the January stream which I'm told is decelerated, are the entrance requirements any different than the Sept start stream?

Are there any statistics about NYCPM's past admissions available? (Just so i know the odds).

Finally, as I said I'm completing my first year at Usyd so getting to NYC for an in-person interview would be impossible. Does anyone know if they offer phone interviews (that is how I did my interview for USyd)?

SydSam

Im just curious why not dentistry is it just because of drilling?
is the dental program in aus accredited in the states?

Last edited:

Last edited:
I called NYCPM and was told the english requirement is an abolute must and that without it they don't know if I am able to communicate. I laughed and asked if I was not showing adequate communication skills by discussing the issue of my pending application to which I got no reply.

I'm going to write a letter to the admissions board asking if they would be willing to waive the requirement if I am able to demonstrate suitable communication skills in some form of phone or written interview but highly doubt the outcome.

Who would have thought moving from dentistry to podiatry would be so hard?

I'll post here if I get a reply to my email.

The thing is you don't speak American English you speak Aussie English. You won't be able to curse at cab drivers in the correct way.

Last edited:
I called NYCPM and was told the english requirement is an abolute must and that without it they don't know if I am able to communicate. I laughed and asked if I was not showing adequate communication skills by discussing the issue of my pending application to which I got no reply.

I'm going to write a letter to the admissions board asking if they would be willing to waive the requirement if I am able to demonstrate suitable communication skills in some form of phone or written interview but highly doubt the outcome.

Who would have thought moving from dentistry to podiatry would be so hard?

I'll post here if I get a reply to my email.

You can also try taking CLEP english exam or take an online english course offered by tons of US community colleges and Univs. Many people do that.

Greetings,

SydSam

Hey... Who is dissin' dentistry. Drilling is FUN! ;)